The Student Room Group

Need Advice with university

Hi, this is my first post so im new to this but i have a bit of a dilemma.

I've finished first year of accounting and finance at university (wolverhampton) but i failed two modules, i've tried retaking one of them but i only managed to get 36% so i was 4% of passing and the other one i am retaking is tomorrow which i reckon ill pass but that exam will be capped at 40%, luckily for me 50% of that module included an assignment which i managed to get 100% so if i do pass that module ill get a 70% (first). Therefore i'd have only failed one module and i know Wolverhampton will accept me for second year but the problem is i don't want to study there next year.

I was offered a conditional offer from BCU to transfer second year but they said because i didn't pass all the modules i couldn't transfer. However now im thinking of just restarting the whole year, same course but at BCU. I've already asked BCU if its possible, they said yes but i'd have to apply through clearing. They said my chances were good (i didn't do so well in A levels) as i have already completed some of the modules with decent results but there still considering it.

My question is, is it worth restarting first year again? The course isn't the problem, the university was, i had to catch the train everyday and it made me miss quite a few lectures and that same problem won't happen again at BCU as i live closer. I would'nt call this year a complete waste as i did pretty good in some modules, got 2 firsts and will get another if i pass my retake tomorrow so it'll make it easier if i do restart at BCU and i know i won't fail any modules.

Need some advice as im not sure what to do. Do i stay and continue on to second year of the course or restart at BCU through clearing. Either way i'd still have to apply for student finance again in august.
Original post by Suhayl786

I've finished first year of accounting and finance at university (wolverhampton) but i failed two modules, i've tried retaking one of them but i only managed to get 36% so i was 4% of passing and the other one i am retaking is tomorrow which i reckon ill pass but that exam will be capped at 40%, luckily for me 50% of that module included an assignment which i managed to get 100% so if i do pass that module ill get a 70% (first). Therefore i'd have only failed one module and i know Wolverhampton will accept me for second year but the problem is i don't want to study there next year.

I was offered a conditional offer from BCU to transfer second year but they said because i didn't pass all the modules i couldn't transfer. However now im thinking of just restarting the whole year, same course but at BCU. I've already asked BCU if its possible, they said yes but i'd have to apply through clearing. They said my chances were good (i didn't do so well in A levels) as i have already completed some of the modules with decent results but there still considering it.

My question is, is it worth restarting first year again? The course isn't the problem, the university was, i had to catch the train everyday and it made me miss quite a few lectures and that same problem won't happen again at BCU as i live closer. I would'nt call this year a complete waste as i did pretty good in some modules, got 2 firsts and will get another if i pass my retake tomorrow so it'll make it easier if i do restart at BCU and i know i won't fail any modules.

Need some advice as im not sure what to do. Do i stay and continue on to second year of the course or restart at BCU through clearing. Either way i'd still have to apply for student finance again in august.

If you re struggling to get to university by commuting and you d still have that problem for the next two years and feel like you need a fresh start then why not give it a go through clearing i say:smile:
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
If you re struggling to get to university by commuting and you d still have that problem for the next two years and feel like you need a fresh start then why not give it a go through clearing i say:smile:

Yeh thats what i was thinking, im just not feeling wolverhampton university. The only problem is do you think BCU will have places through clearing for accounting and finance? Never gone through clearing before.
Yeh thats what i was thinking, im just not feeling wolverhampton university. The only problem is do you think BCU will have places through clearing for accounting and finance? Never gone through clearing before.

According to ucas bcu has places in clearing for most of the accounting related courses. You ll have to go through ucas and fill in the application to get a clearing number, but be worthwhile calling up bcu to check they ve still got places left but if you do it quickly and theres still places left i d recon you d have a good chance.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
According to ucas bcu has places in clearing for most of the accounting related courses. You ll have to go through ucas and fill in the application to get a clearing number, but be worthwhile calling up bcu to check they ve still got places left but if you do it quickly and theres still places left i d recon you d have a good chance.

Thanks for the advice, i did phone them up earlier today, they said ill have a good chance but i sent them my results and they said they would have a look, consider it and then get back to me by email. My only issue is as of now is £9000, if i go BCU it'll be a waste of £9000.

I guess, all i have to now is make sure i pass the exam tomorrow and wait till clearing or until they email me back
Thanks for the advice, i did phone them up earlier today, they said ill have a good chance but i sent them my results and they said they would have a look, consider it and then get back to me by email. My only issue is as of now is £9000, if i go BCU it'll be a waste of £9000.

I guess, all i have to now is make sure i pass the exam tomorrow and wait till clearing or until they email me back

Happiness means more than money, you dont want to spend the next two years unhappy really:smile: you ve learnt things in this year so its not an utter waste.

Hi there!

Sorry to butt in on your thread, and hope your decision making is going well.

I appreciate you are looking for somewhere a little closer to home, but if you decide that you want to find somewhere different based on things other than distance, then I just wanted to let you know that we have 2 year degrees here, so you wouldn't need to worry about deciding between re-starting or not, if it was the time that worries you. We have intakes in September and January for Accounting and Financial Management and no fixed closing date for applications - plus, you can apply to us directly through our website. We offer guaranteed accommodation for first year students. With our degrees being two-years, it can often work out cheaper as you aren't paying maintenance expenses for 3 years, but 2 instead.

If you want to see our courses, they're available here: http://www.buckingham.ac.uk/find-a-course/?area=Any&level=Any

We also partake in clearing - our clearing line is 01280 820 299.

We can do tours throughout the week and also have a clearing visit day on 15th August if you'd like to visit us.

Fully appreciate we may be too far for you - but if your reason for change is more than distance based, do take a look.

Sorry for butting in on your thread- & do get in touch if you would like any more information or help!

Becky :smile:

It's only a waste of £9,000 if you don't learn something from the experience - that doesn't even have to be something academic it could be something about how you manage your time, the things you need in place to motivate you to study, what is important to you, what your strengths are and what your weaknesses are (and how you can best work around those).

Hello,

It looks like you've already done all the hard work! It's great that you've been speaking to our Clearing team, if you don't hear from us after a couple of days please feel free to get back in touch, we are always here to help.

We would love to have you here at BCU, as an Accountancy student you'll be based in our brand new campus - The Curzon Building - in the city centre.

You can find out more about being a BCU student and all the exciting things going on in Birmingham on our website:
http://www.bcu.ac.uk/student-info
Reply 9

I know this is a bit random but can i ask why you didnt like about wolerhampton university,, was it because of the travelling or was it because of the course content and lectures .. I am concidering to go through clearing for accounting and finance

Also what a levels did you take because i have taken maths chemistry and physics and feel i might be at a dissadvantage not studying accounting at a level
Reply 10
Original post by Waz123
I know this is a bit random but can i ask why you didnt like about wolerhampton university,, was it because of the travelling or was it because of the course content and lectures .. I am concidering to go through clearing for accounting and finance

Also what a levels did you take because i have taken maths chemistry and physics and feel i might be at a dissadvantage not studying accounting at a level

I don't think the account and finance course is really that hard as i got a 2-1 without revising much. My problem was mainly traveling by train to get to the uni which was long. Some of the lecturers are really nice and helpful whilst others aren't so good.

In terms of A levels, i didn't study accounting or any finance a levels either in college but its not a big deal as they teach you what you need to learn, whats helpful is the notes they provide you online, so if you miss a lecture you can still catch up. I did however have a problem with one module, costing (2nd semester) i think thats probably the hardest module but this is due to the fact i didn't revise much. I also didn't really like my seminar group as there was rarely anyone in, most people are lazy and don't really attend them or even lectures so there's not much students to talk to other than a few friends. Honestly it all depends on you, its what you make of it. I didn't really like it but you might.
Reply 11
I don't think the account and finance course is really that hard as i got a 2-1 without revising much. My problem was mainly traveling by train to get to the uni which was long. Some of the lecturers are really nice and helpful whilst others aren't so good.

In terms of A levels, i didn't study accounting or any finance a levels either in college but its not a big deal as they teach you what you need to learn, whats helpful is the notes they provide you online, so if you miss a lecture you can still catch up. I did however have a problem with one module, costing (2nd semester) i think thats probably the hardest module but this is due to the fact i didn't revise much. I also didn't really like my seminar group as there was rarely anyone in, most people are lazy and don't really attend them or even lectures so there's not much students to talk to other than a few friends. Honestly it all depends on you, its what you make of it. I didn't really like it but you might.

Thank you :smile: .. are you still studying accounting and finance ?
Reply 12
Original post by Waz123
Thank you :smile: .. are you still studying accounting and finance ?

Yup, at Birmingham City University. Going to start fresh.
Original post by Waz123

Hi Waz123,

Although you are considering Wolverhampton University, we do still have some places for our Accounting and Finance course in Clearing (FYI!) :h:

And good luck Suhayl1786 :smile:

Sunny

BCU Team
Reply 14
Original post by Birmingham City University
Hello,

It looks like you've already done all the hard work! It's great that you've been speaking to our Clearing team, if you don't hear from us after a couple of days please feel free to get back in touch, we are always here to help.

We would love to have you here at BCU, as an Accountancy student you'll be based in our brand new campus - The Curzon Building - in the city centre.

You can find out more about being a BCU student and all the exciting things going on in Birmingham on our website:
http://www.bcu.ac.uk/student-info

I am going to study Level 3 Applied Science National Extended Diploma without any A levels and was wondering what university undergraduate courses I can go into. I have tried to search but all the courses I want to do require A levels along with the BTEC. Please can you help me find courses that I can do that does not require A Levels along with this. It would be so much help and I would really appreciate it. Thank you in advance. 😃

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending