The Student Room Group
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website

Accommodation advice

I am going to uni of leicester this september and have recently recieved an offer of accommodation. Can anyone with experience tell me how the social experience is at Mary Gee houses, are the blocks mixed-gender, or same, and if it is mainly first years or returners? Also do you miss out by not living in Oadby first year?

Thanks.
Hi there, I go to UoL. I lived in John Foster halls in first year, so I can only be of a limited help. I think all of the blocks at Mary Gee are mixed but I'm not entirely sure, there could be a mixture. The vast majority of the residents will be first years, and from what I've heard Mary Gee does tend to have a very active social life and I know quite a few people who made really good friends with their flatmates there. The accomodation itself is quite basic and not as nice/new as the other halls though. Another downside is that if you get the bus to uni, if you have to be in uni for the morning, the bus is already full by the time that it gets to your stop so I know a lot of people at Mary Gee used to walk up to the John Foster bus stop first to make sure they could get on the bus.

It has been a few years since I was in halls though so I don't know if any of that has changed.
University of Leicester
University of Leicester
Leicester
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Unconventional.
Hi there, I go to UoL. I lived in John Foster halls in first year, so I can only be of a limited help. I think all of the blocks at Mary Gee are mixed but I'm not entirely sure, there could be a mixture. The vast majority of the residents will be first years, and from what I've heard Mary Gee does tend to have a very active social life and I know quite a few people who made really good friends with their flatmates there. The accomodation itself is quite basic and not as nice/new as the other halls though. Another downside is that if you get the bus to uni, if you have to be in uni for the morning, the bus is already full by the time that it gets to your stop so I know a lot of people at Mary Gee used to walk up to the John Foster bus stop first to make sure they could get on the bus.

It has been a few years since I was in halls though so I don't know if any of that has changed.

Thanks thats good to know. I was originally offered a room in Digby Hall but i declined it because it was a pretty expensive premium room.

They then offered me a place in Mary Gee, which ive already accepted. I was a bit concerned that it would be a bit isolated from the other halls over in Oadby. But if Mary Gee has a good social atmosphere of its own, like you say, i guess there's not much to worry about.
Original post by ikenna okoye
Thanks thats good to know. I was originally offered a room in Digby Hall but i declined it because it was a pretty expensive premium room.

They then offered me a place in Mary Gee, which ive already accepted. I was a bit concerned that it would be a bit isolated from the other halls over in Oadby. But if Mary Gee has a good social atmosphere of its own, like you say, i guess there's not much to worry about.

Mary Gee is not that far from the other halls in Oadby, you can easily walk it, and all the buses stop at Mary Gee too for SU nights out and that during freshers. :smile:
Reply 4
Has anyone got any advice/or is going to be living in Nixon Court, it'll be nice to know things about it before I confirm anything?
Original post by ikenna okoye
I am going to uni of leicester this september and have recently recieved an offer of accommodation. Can anyone with experience tell me how the social experience is at Mary Gee houses, are the blocks mixed-gender, or same, and if it is mainly first years or returners? Also do you miss out by not living in Oadby first year?

Thanks.

Hi. I lived in Mary Gee a couple of years ago. I've been answering some questions about it on the thread called 'University of Leicester 2015 Applicants' if you want to have a look. To answer your other questions there are quite a few single gender blocks but personally mine was mixed. I think it depends on what you set your preferences to on the form. About the bus thing. Most student at Mary Gee don't get the bus since it's only a 15/20 minute walk to campus. Saved me a lot of money not having to get a bus pass. There's also a great community in Mary Gee. There's roughly 300 students there and on the first day everyone is outside mingling with the other blocks. Of course you can still use all he bars and common areas in Oadby as well so I don't think I missed out on anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending