The Student Room Group

My boyfriend jokingly hits me in public

My boyfriend is 29; I'm 23. He's the jokey type and he loves to wind me up, but he's also a bit of a show-off especially when he's a bit drunk. He often hits me (only a tap - it doesn't hurt) in public and this is beginning to infuriate me, especially since it's often in the face. He recently did it in front of someone he knows -- we'd all been drinking and were otherwise having a good time, so I let it slide but on reflection wish I hadn't.

I've brought it up several times with him before and told him to stop and that it's not a normal thing to do. He does for a few days and then appears to forget. He also recently bit me on the cheek whilst me were out in public and it caused a huge red mark.

I don't want to break up over this, but it infuriates me just thinking about it - I don't know how to drill it into his head that it's not acceptable behaviour. He takes everything in a lighthearted way and he's a totally non-violent person - is otherwise extremely kind and loving, but doesn't seem to understand why this upsets me.
I can see why you'd find it infuriating. Behaviour such as his, would seriously enrage me. The next time he attempts anything, just grab his arm and tell him sternly that he daren't touch you again.

Have you questioned him on why he does it?
Maybe you should jokingly threaten the police on him?

That's quite annoying behaviour. As above poster has said, you need to be stricter when telling him off. Do it on the spot so he knows you won't condone that behaviour. He will have to start breaking out of the habit soon after he realises how much it annoys you :smile:
I'm a guy and have met someone like him before; he was my friend's cousin and his behaviour pissed me off to no end. If I were you, I wouldn't waste my time with those kind of people.
Reply 4
I think anyone doing this, man or woman, is extremely disrespectful when you've made it clear that this is outside your boundaries and level of comfort.

Tell him it stops or you walk. You're boundaries are your own and whether he thinks you should lighten up about it is irrelevant.
Next time he tried to 'show off' by hitting me (completely bizarre concept by the way), I'd give him a swift, embarrassing slap.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending