The Student Room Group

Are these good A-Level options?

I'm 16 and starting sixth form in September. I'm not sure if the A-Levels I want to do are considered good, and I'm worried that they might be soft subjects. Is IT, Government and Politics, History and Psychology (or Philosophy and Ethics- I haven't decided between them yet) good A-Levels to take?? I'd like to be a history teacher or a civil servant if this helps.
Thanks
Original post by bubblesnuggets
I'm 16 and starting sixth form in September. I'm not sure if the A-Levels I want to do are considered good, and I'm worried that they might be soft subjects. Is IT, Government and Politics, History and Psychology (or Philosophy and Ethics- I haven't decided between them yet) good A-Levels to take?? I'd like to be a history teacher or a civil servant if this helps.
Thanks

I took Classical Civilisation, Geography, English Lang & Lit and European History at AS, and carried the first 3 on to A2. Yes, slightly overboard on the arts and humanities but loved every minute of it, especially Classics ☺️😄
Reply 2
Original post by bubblesnuggets
Thanks

History is really the only facilitating subject, Psychology is probably borderline.

I'd replace either IT or government and politics with English Literature.

I'd maybe do a science such as Biology to keep my options open too. History and Psychology are fine, think about replacing at least one of the other two.
Original post by airn
History is really the only facilitating subject, Psychology is probably borderline.

I'd replace either IT or government and politics with English Literature.

I'd maybe do a science such as Biology to keep my options open too. History and Psychology are fine, think about replacing at least one of the other two.

Thanks!! I think might do eng lit instead of IT.
You need to be certain on the job role you want or the degree you want.

I'm guessing history / and politics (possibly?)

You could so much writing books and for newspapers, teaching as you mention and something like civil service though local government is just as interesting as Westminster.

IT is sound for a career in a technological age though you'll have to check what it is they teach you but hopefully it should be getting to grips with advanced things in microsoft office etc.
----
I'll drop a good one on you.. if you ever wanted to get into Cambridge.

Ph.D. Intellectual History and the History of Political Thought, University of Cambridge
M.A. Intellectual History and the History of Political Thought, University of London
B.A. History and Philosophy, Royal Holloway, University of London
Government and Politics, History, Philosophy

There are Ph.D.'s in IH&HPT who are political advisors and what a great start for a career writing books on history and political philosophy.
-----------

Want to know more, just ask.
Original post by Protagoras
You need to be certain on the job role you want or the degree you want.

I'm guessing history / and politics (possibly?)

You could so much writing books and for newspapers, teaching as you mention and something like civil service though local government is just as interesting as Westminster.

IT is sound for a career in a technological age though you'll have to check what it is they teach you but hopefully it should be getting to grips with advanced things in microsoft office etc.
----
I'll drop a good one on you.. if you ever wanted to get into Cambridge.

Ph.D. Intellectual History and the History of Political Thought, University of Cambridge
M.A. Intellectual History and the History of Political Thought, University of London
B.A. History and Philosophy, Royal Holloway, University of London
Government and Politics, History, Philosophy

There are Ph.D.'s in IH&HPT who are political advisors and what a great start for a career writing books on history and political philosophy.
-----------

Want to know more, just ask.

Thanks for the advice! :smile:
Do the things that interest you the most (and that you can get decent grades in). The courses are 2 years (without any balls-ups), which is enough time to get bored of the subjects. Also try to keep in mind the general idea of what you want to do after A-levels because that should have a big sway on your choices.

Quick Reply

Latest