The Student Room Group

Cayenne or Range Rover?

Dad's looking to buy a new car - he's got a 911 and a Discovery at the moment, and is looking to replace the Discovery with either a Porsche Cayenne or a Range Rover (not the Sport, ugghh). We had a Cayenne a few years ago and we all think they're pretty cool, but I think the Range Rover is quite a bit better looking, as well as probably more comfortable. He shoots so it will need to be good off road.

Has anyone had both?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What kind of question is that? Of course range rover

Posted from TSR Mobile
Obviously a Range Rover. Cayenne is for new money WAGs.
Reply 3
Original post by will_jg
Obviously a Range Rover. Cayenne is for new money WAGs.

Don't forget that the new Range Rover is pretty gaudy as well.
Original post by ibzombie96
Don't forget that the new Range Rover is pretty gaudy as well.

Only the Sport and the Vogue. The standard Range Rover remains the most classy.
G63 AMG, baller's car.
Reply 6
Original post by will_jg
Only the Sport and the Vogue. The standard Range Rover remains the most classy.

No, I was talking about the Range Rover - when you compare it to the older models, it's much more 'Chelsea' than before.
Cayenne has gone downhill in terms of reputation compared to it's place exactly a decade ago, the new model is pretty poor. Go for Range Rover (Evoque)
Range Rover
Reply 9
Original post by SotonianOne
Cayenne has gone downhill in terms of reputation compared to it's place exactly a decade ago, the new model is pretty poor. Go for Range Rover (Evoque)

Ugggh no way, Evoque is way too Essex haha

I kind of thought the Cayenne has rather grown in popularity - the original was an absolute hag, but it's got a lot prettier. I think we had the second gen model (got it new around 2009) with the old interior, and the newer ones (of which I see plenty - it's practically mandatory to have one where I go/went to school) look much nicer in comparison.

I think a Range Rover would look less embarrassing on a shoot, though.
Reply 10
I quite like the original RR Sports. They are based on a Discovery chassis and come with the faults and benefits of that particular drivetrain. Fuel pump timing belt isn't a great design unfortunately... The newer RR Sports are based on a range rover chassis. You can't really go wrong with Land rover products. With the exception of the pointless 2 wheel drive freelanders they don't make bad cars.
You do need to keep an eye on the moisture content. Range rovers are well known for suffering with damp ECU's when rear windows let in water. It's no hardship to lift the boot floor and have a look from time to time.

I have a very tidy mk1 Discovery and a Series 3 SWB station wagon and they are good trucks.
Dad's looking to buy a new car - he's got a 911 and a Discovery at the moment, and is looking to replace the Discovery with either a Porsche Cayenne or a Range Rover (not the Sport, ugghh). We had a Cayenne a few years ago and we all think they're pretty cool, but I think the Range Rover is quite a bit better looking, as well as probably more comfortable. He shoots so it will need to be good off road.

Has anyone had both?

In terms of off-road luxury transport, you can't beat a Range Rover. I owned one for 3 years and it did everything well, but it did have a few reliability issues. Still, that wouldn't put me off buying one again in the future. It's a very special car to own! :biggrin:
I don't even like modern range rovers or discos but silly question as they are still the kings of 4X4s by far. I like the discos of around 2000-2004 black td5 I would love one. Defenders are cool aswell. Range rovers are the least rugged and my least fav but they are still better than the cayenne
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
I would (could) kill for a 911, one day man..
Original post by Most Competitive
In terms of off-road luxury transport, you can't beat a Range Rover. I owned one for 3 years and it did everything well, but it did have a few reliability issues. Still, that wouldn't put me off buying one again in the future. It's a very special car to own! :biggrin:

Yeah, my grandparents have one (the long wheelbase version as they don't drive) and it seems pretty nice but I've never actually been in one. I'm sure you're right about its off-road capability, but how does it drive? Dad's Discovery is a bit barge-like and sluggish, and that's why he's considering going for the Porsche instead.

Have you had both cars?
Has anyone had both? It'd be awesome if someone with experience of both would tell me how they compare.
Yeah, my grandparents have one (the long wheelbase version as they don't drive) and it seems pretty nice but I've never actually been in one. I'm sure you're right about its off-road capability, but how does it drive? Dad's Discovery is a bit barge-like and sluggish, and that's why he's considering going for the Porsche instead.

Have you had both cars?

I had the sport, and imo it feels more agile than other cars of a similar size. I've also driven the bigger one and, in my opinion, it's only meant for people who don't care about sportiness.

If he doesn't want to do any "serious" off-roading, then he should certainly get the Porsche for a sportier experience (I've driven one!). If he does, then the sport (which can live with anything) will provide a nice balance between off-road ability and on-road agility.
Original post by Most Competitive
I had the sport, and imo it feels more agile than other cars of a similar size. I've also driven the bigger one and, in my opinion, it's only meant for people who don't care about sportiness.

If he doesn't want to do any "serious" off-roading, then he should certainly get the Porsche for a sportier experience (I've driven one!). If he does, then the sport (which can live with anything) will provide a nice balance between off-road ability and on-road agility.

Cool - cheers for the advice. I'll be at uni next year so won't really see much of the new car, whatever it is, but I think I'll try and push him to a Range Rover. He's got a sports car so tbh he doesn't really need a fast, agile 4x4.

Well done on the LSE 1st btw!
Reply 18
Original post by Tom78
I would (could) kill for a 911, one day man..

Had 2. Thoroughly disappointing.
Don't bother!
The Cayenne always reminds me of a frog. An insult to the frog unfortunately.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending