The Student Room Group

Girls and shaving

This has always been something on mind, why do girls have to shave? Why can't girls have hairy legs and arms and just leave their house wearing a dress and not shave? Do boys like girls with smooth bodies and why?
Do any you girls shave?
I would like to know your opinion on this topic. :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

http://www.buzzfeed.com/laurasilver/the-patriarchy-aint-so-smooth#.ugWlXBLnr

Surely there are more important things to be concerned about....
Reply 2
Original post by REMLewis
http://www.buzzfeed.com/laurasilver/the-patriarchy-aint-so-smooth#.ugWlXBLnr

Surely there are more important things to be concerned about....

There a lot more important things to be concerned about, but I just wanted to peoples opinion on this topic.
Girls don't have to shave; as far as I'm aware, no one's forcing them to do so.

Males most probably like girls with smooth bodies because it makes them appear more feminine which is perceived as more attractive.
Because hair looks disgusting, it is an unfortunate feature of humans that serves no purpose.
Original post by magiixx
There a lot more important things to be concerned about, but I just wanted to peoples opinion on this topic.

Fair enough.... :smile:
My opinion, the girl's choice should not be influenced by anyone else's opinion.
No one should judge her upon her decision to shave or not to shave.
It's a matter of respect and following personal beliefs.
Some will think it's necessary, others will regard the idea with contempt.
I am truly unbiased on this subject.
because society
Original post by jonsnow:(
because society

And tradition

some features that separates females and males would be nice
Girls don't HAVE to shave, but personally I find it horrible when a girl has really hairy armpits :no:
If I didn't shave I'd look like a gorilla
Original post by jonsnow:(
because society

:haughty::lol:
Original post by driftawaay
Because hair looks disgusting, it is an unfortunate feature of humans that serves no purpose.

You know, apart from keeping us warm and helping to regulate body temperature... not to mention giving us a higher likelyhood of survival should we end up in an unfavourable situation that involves the cold. :rolleyes:
(edited 8 years ago)
society expects girls to shave and some people would stare if a girl walked out in a dress with unshaved legs
Well you don't 'have to do it' but I want too. It's okay for men to have a preference on female body hair, it's not patriarchy or anything(I'm a feminist), I personally don't like a man with a hairy chest, I like it smooooothhhh :colondollar:
Original post by magiixx
This has always been something on mind, why do girls have to shave? Why can't girls have hairy legs and arms and just leave their house wearing a dress and not shave? Do boys like girls with smooth bodies and why?
Do any you girls shave?
I would like to know your opinion on this topic. :smile:

Because it looks horrible! They are not forced to shave. Society expects them to shave, rightly so.
Original post by Mike.Ross
:popout:

Such a cute face!
Original post by Star-girl
You know, apart from keeping us warm and helping to regulate body temperature... not to mention giving us a higher likelyhood of survival should we end up in an unfavourable situation that involves the cold. :rolleyes:

I hope that was sarcastic

your leg hair does not keep you warm on a cold winter morning and will not regulate your body temperature and you will not be more likely to survive in -20 weather with hairy legs.
I hope that was sarcastic
your leg hair does not keep you warm on a cold winter morning and will not regulate your body temperature and you will not be more likely to survive in -20 weather with hairy legs.

It was partially sarcastic.

However it does. Of course it won't keep you entirely warm but it helps. You should look up how body hair helps regulate your temperature because it does - it is something you should have learned about in Biology. And yes you are, because the hair will trap air and help insulate you from the cold. My point is, body hair is not at all useless like you claimed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/add_aqa_pre_2011/homeo/homeostasis5.shtml
Original post by Star-girl
It was partially sarcastic.

However it does. Of course it won't keep you entirely warm but it helps. You should look up how body hair helps regulate your temperature because it does - it is something you should have learned about in Biology. And yes you are, because the hair will trap air and help insulate you from the cold. My point is, body hair is not at all useless like you claimed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/schools/gcsebitesize/science/add_aqa_pre_2011/homeo/homeostasis5.shtml

I have learned about this, in reality this means nothing and no, your body hair will not save you from freezing to death, the effect it has on your temperatue/keeping you warm is insignificant and useless to us. You are not going to feel less cold and avoid the flu in December just because you don't shave your legs.
I have learned about this, in reality this means nothing and no, your body hair will not save you from freezing to death, the effect it has on your temperatue/keeping you warm is insignificant and useless to us. You are not going to feel less cold and avoid the flu in December just because you don't shave your legs.

:facepalm: What do you mean "in reality"? This information is based on reality. If it was so insignificant, it wouldn't be taught. I never said anything about the flu. Catching the flu is a complicated issue that involves more than just the cold.

I don't see why you are arguing against hard evidence. :facepalm:

Quick Reply

Latest