The Student Room Group

oxford college for law?

I want to apply to oxford for law. I know the best colleges for law are the colleges like Brasenose, but I've heard (from an oxford tutor!!) that Brasenose college is incredibly competitive and that its dangerous to apply there. I only got 7A*s and 3As at GCSE and am only taking 3 A levels to A2 (also having an AS in German and EPQ). I would prefer the college to be old, and have loads of students studying law (with good teaching!) Any recommendations? :smile:
Original post by aubergine7
I want to apply to oxford for law. I know the best colleges for law are the colleges like Brasenose, but I've heard (from an oxford tutor!!) that Brasenose college is incredibly competitive and that its dangerous to apply there. I only got 7A*s and 3As at GCSE and am only taking 3 A levels to A2 (also having an AS in German and EPQ). I would prefer the college to be old, and have loads of students studying law (with good teaching!) Any recommendations? :smile:

Magdalen
All Souls.
Reply 3
Original post by Magnus Taylor
Magdalen

what makes you think magdalen?:colondollar:
No college is better for Law than another college, the same goes for all subjects. Your chances of getting into the university also do not change irrespective of which college you apply to.

This means, you should just choose the college you personally like the look of the most. Quite a few of the colleges are old with a lot of students studying Law... so you may want to think of other criteria, or if you can visit - take a look at the colleges yourself and see which one you like the feel of the most :smile:

It's also worth bearing in mind, that there is also a chance you would get an offer at a different college through the open offer system, re-allocation and pooling. So don't put all your hopes on one college, they're all great in different ways.
Original post by Lucilou101
No college is better for Law than another college, the same goes for all subjects. Your chances of getting into the university also do not change irrespective of which college you apply to.
This means, you should just choose the college you personally like the look of the most. Quite a few of the colleges are old with a lot of students studying Law... so you may want to think of other criteria, or if you can visit - take a look at the colleges yourself and see which one you like the feel of the most :smile:
It's also worth bearing in mind, that there is also a chance you would get an offer at a different college through the open offer system, re-allocation and pooling. So don't put all your hopes on one college, they're all great in different ways.

At Cambridge, Churchill's entrance for law is ridiculously high (9A*s and A*A*AA at A2). It is much higher than other colleges for law. Is there not a similar standout college at Oxford with higher entry requirements than the rest?
Original post by callum_law
At Cambridge, Churchill's entrance for law is ridiculously high (9A*s and A*A*AA at A2). It is much higher than other colleges for law. Is there not a similar standout college at Oxford with higher entry requirements than the rest?

No. All colleges require the same AAA at A2 for Law. There is no GCSE requirement, although the average for a successful Oxford applicant is around 6-8 A*s. There are more popular colleges, and ones that are more oversubscribed - but because of re-allocation, pooling and the open offer scheme, your chances of getting into Oxford are the same irrespective of college choice.
Reply 7
It's nice to pretend that all colleges are equally well-provisioned for all subjects but that's sadly not the case. It would be worth looking at which colleges have good law libraries. Brasenose, Christ Church and Magdalen have their own; I'm sure some other colleges do too.

Brasenose has been very popular for the last few years, so if you apply there you're more likely to be given a place at a different college than if you apply to St Hugh's (for example). As Lucilou101 said, though, that doesn't mean you're any less likely to get a place somewhere at Oxford. On the other hand, you're much more likely to get into Brasenose if you apply there than if you apply to St Hugh's, and it's hard to accurately predict how the application statistics for a particular subject at a particular college will vary from year to year so you're probably best-off applying to your to favourite college and hoping for the best. After all, most successful applicants aren't reallocated to a different college.

Yeah but Churchill is daft. Oxford has a standard offer for each subject at all colleges.

If you look at Churchill's stats for the last 5 years: they took 5 students in 2011, 1 student in 2012 and 2 students in 2014 with 2015 results not yet out. During that period there were 46 applications to Churchill. However Churchill only made offers to 2 of the applicants to that college and none of the remaining 44 got offers elsewhere.

You would be mad to apply there and if you are mad you would no doubt get on well with Matthew Kramer.
Reply 9
Well do you know which colleges take on the most law undergraduates?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending