The Student Room Group

The Oxford TSA thread - 2016 applicants - 4th November 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by midgemeister7
what was the last question again?

The one about the photographer taking pictures of trees and how many different orders there are from left to right.
Original post by Gimmel
But wasn't the argument in the Oxford question that teaching quality is better in private schools? How would students taking more A-levels show a flaw in that reasoning? That question was so awful for me. Don't even remember what I put in it.

Yeah that's what really confused me! There didn't seem to be the answer I was expecting about the teaching, i chose that answer thinking that even though only 7% (or whatever figure that gave) of people go to private schools, the other 93% may not necessarily take A-levels and therefore not be applicants to Oxford? That was my line of thinking but I'm not at all confident

Posted from TSR Mobile
For John Lewis I put something like 'an emotional plea can be effective in the right circumstances' or whatever the reason was. Put the answer about teaching might not reduce voting for extremist parties I believe for the other one.

I think I put the same one for John Lewis but I can't remember perfectly
Original post by Gimmel
But wasn't the argument in the Oxford question that teaching quality is better in private schools? How would students taking more A-levels show a flaw in that reasoning? That question was so awful for me. Don't even remember what I put in it.

For the John Lewis question, I put that 'an emotional plea can be effective'. This was a no-brainer imo.

The argument was only 7% in private schools -> 40% in oxbridge -> better A Levels -> better teaching. For me, a higher number of those in private schools taking A Levels most weakens the argument - as it means success per a level student in state schools isn't necessarily worse.

100% agree on John Lewis one.
Reply 584
Original post by Karina_xo
Yeah that's what really confused me! There didn't seem to be the answer I was expecting about the teaching, i chose that answer thinking that even though only 7% (or whatever figure that gave) of people go to private schools, the other 93% may not necessarily take A-levels and therefore not be applicants to Oxford? That was my line of thinking but I'm not at all confident

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I had the same problem. I think I put in that 40% of Oxford students are from state schools because couldn't think of anything else.

But man if that is the right answer, then it is really far-fetched in so many ways. Assuming that all UK Oxford applicants apply with A-levels is a pretty big assumption etc. Showing a flaw in a an flawed argument with another flawed argument. Classy TSA.
The argument was only 7% in private schools -> 40% in oxbridge -> better A Levels -> better teaching. For me, a higher number of those in private schools taking A Levels most weakens the argument - as it means success per a level student in state schools isn't necessarily worse.

The thing is it wasn't "better A levels". I remember the passage saying something like "better in examinations such as A levels".
For A-levels question, I said the answer was the fact that they do more A-levels or something like most others here... That could potentially destroy the whole argument.

For trees, I put 3 or 5... I guess it would be easy to work out in hindsight.

For John Lewis, the drawn conclusion was that emotional advertising can be successful in the right hands or something (certainly).

Agree on both.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 588
Original post by Stella Courtois
The thing is it wasn't "better A levels". I remember the passage saying something like "better in examinations such as A levels".

Also let me get this straight: In the UK is taking A-levels not mandatory? Because I find it odd that state schools would have fewer A-level takers if it is not voluntary.

Love the culturally biased questions if that is so :3. How am I, as an EU-applicant, supposed to know that A-levels are not mandatory for UK students in all schools? Especially when in my country the examinations equivalent to A-levels are mandatory if you want to graduate.
I vaguely remember a question about cups and there was an extra 2000 cups to begin with and I didn't get it I just circled A..? lol but I got the same answers as some of u guys for the others
Original post by Gimmel
Also let me get this straight: In the UK is taking A-levels not mandatory? Because I find it odd that state schools would have fewer A-level takers if it is not voluntary.

Love the culturally biased questions if that is so :3. How am I, as an EU-applicant, supposed to know that A-levels are not mandatory for UK students in all schools? Especially when in my country the examinations equivalent to A-levels are mandatory if you want to graduate.

No its not mandatory at all. But the very large majority of students certainly take A Level.
Can't really comment as I have forgotten most of my answers, but remembering the last question, I took it to a few top set Maths students who unanimously agreed that the answer was 5.That clock question was a load of bs..I just felt that all the Maths questions were harder than in previous years, whereas the argument ones were pretty similar to previous years.

Can I ask what your maths friends reasoning was? From what I read (which in a rush was not much) the q wanted to know how many possible combinations of the trees could be in the pic from left to right depending where he stands in the field? From this I got 7

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gimmel

Hmmm that seems harsh. Yes college students of both state and private sector can take qualifications as a substitute to A-Levels / take other education pathways.
the at least one of the first two no more than two of the last two was at least 8 not 6.. I did it again last night took me 45 mins^
Can I ask what your maths friends reasoning was? From what I read (which in a rush was not much) the q wanted to know how many possible combinations of the trees could be in the pic from left to right depending where he stands in the field? From this I got 7

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was tempted with 7 because it was dependent on where he stood and he could have stood either side of each corner.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I now realise that it is definitely 5
I now realise that it is definitely 5

Could you explain why please? I'm still getting 7 hahaaa

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ecconomist
I was tempted with 7 because it was dependent on where he stood and he could have stood either side of each corner.

Lads it was 5 they're doing 15 module Maths and I'm not arguing with them. Just draw it on a piece of paper, it's pretty obvious.
Reply 598
No its not mandatory at all. But the very large majority of students certainly take A Level.

The more you know.

Rant:
If Oxford really wanted to evaluate the aptitude of their applicants for higher education irrelevant of their background (as they claim), then they should start making tests that anyone can answer with critical and analytical thinking without requiring wide knowledge of the British culture and their education system as a whole. All these questions about floor carpets and A-levels: come on! No other country sticks floor carpet to everywhere they go! At least openly admit that your test is culturally biased so international applicants can prepare for it by reading the British culture 101.

I crossed out the A-levels option out of the possible options largely because I found it absurd that there would be different amounts of people taking A-levels when comparing schools, as I thought they were mandatory.

Well, luckily it's only one point (hopefully it won't matter).
(edited 8 years ago)
Could you explain why please? I'm still getting 7 hahaaa

Posted from TSR Mobile

As said above, best to draw on a piece of paper. Only 5 possible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending