The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reue
Index funds

Can you explain why? And which index? Sorry I'm asking so many questions!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by ImNotSuperman
Can you explain why? Sorry I'm asking so many questions!

Historic stock averages 7% each year. Index funds spread the risk and reward around a large number of different companies.
I can't think of anything more boring than leaving £4k in a bank account to accrue interest.

Maybe we are a different personality type, however when I amassed £2k I started my own business and a few years later, I have a working cash flow twelve times that and two employees.

A life spent minimising risk is dull in the extreme.
Reply 23
Original post by TheCitizenAct
I can't think of anything more boring than leaving £4k in a bank account to accrue interest.

Maybe we are a different personality type, however when I amassed £2k I started my own business and a few years later, I have a working cash flow twelve times that and two employees.

A life spent minimising risk is dull in the extreme.

It's perhaps a slightly distorted view you project here, common with most success stories:

People tend to only really shout about their success. For instance if you've done well from starting a business, there might be 5, 10, 100 other people whos business has failed and they lost all their money.

Perhaps I am boring, but I'd rather live without the stress/risk that business ownership inevitably brings.
Original post by Reue
It's perhaps a slightly distorted view you project here, common with most success stories:

People tend to only really shout about their success. For instance if you've done well from starting a business, there might be 5, 10, 100 other people whos business has failed and they lost all their money.

Perhaps I am boring, but I'd rather live without the stress/risk that business ownership inevitably brings.

That's fair. My first two businesses failed, if that helps disprove your theory?

However, my failures have always been infinitely more important than my successes, they showed me where I went wrong. I guess it depends on what you want.
Reply 25
That's fair. My first two businesses failed, if that helps disprove your theory?

However, my failures have always been infinitely more important than my successes, they showed me where I went wrong. I guess it depends on what you want.

Kind of proves my theory actually as you hadn't mentioned your original 2 failures until challenged.

Its great that you learnt from them and ultimately achieved success. Alot of people however would be unable to sustain even a single failure. You do these people a disservice by implying they are boring for choosing a safer saving option.
I'm looking to invest £4000 for 3-4 years. Currently, it's in a TSB current account earning 5% interest. The account is capped to £4000 so I can't get interest on the interest. I'm planning on emptying this account so I can put my student loans in there and get interest on them.

I have some money invested in the stock market making good returns, but that's more of a long term thing. With short term investing I guess I'd have to go in a completely different direction.

I don't mind a bit of risk. In the event of an economic crash, I don't need to withdraw the money after 3/4 years. I can wait it out.

Can anyone who's a bit more clued up on investing offer any advice?

Thanks

I used to work in TSB and if they haven't changed the rules I'm pretty sure you can have up to 3 accounts with the 5% you just have to bounce the minimum amount you have to put in the accounts around. So set up a SO to move x amount from one of the accounts into another then another then leave it where you need it.
Original post by Reue
Kind of proves my theory actually as you hadn't mentioned your original 2 failures until challenged.

Its great that you learnt from them and ultimately achieved success. Alot of people however would be unable to sustain even a single failure. You do these people a disservice by implying they are boring for choosing a safer saving option.

I didn't imply they were boring, nor did I say they were boring, I said it was boring. Nor do I conceal my failures; I surely can't be expected to caveat any mention of self-employment with 'this opportunity burdens and inherent risk of failure', or 'I failed in the past, too'?

As free-thinking adults I would grant people enough intelligence to be able to determine that self-employment in any industry = risk.
Reply 28
I didn't imply they were boring, nor did I say they were boring, I said it was boring. Nor do I conceal my failures; I surely can't be expected to caveat any mention of self-employment with 'this opportunity burdens and inherent risk of failure', or 'I failed in the past, too'?

I'd consider a 66% failure rate pretty important to mention

As free-thinking adults I would grant people enough intelligence to be able to determine that self-employment in any industry = risk.

Hard to make informed determinations when they're only receiving a narrow view of the overall situation.
Can you explain why? And which index? Sorry I'm asking so many questions!

One can't say which index today without knowing which indexes are under and overvalued. That's something you'd have to look at.
Original post by Rory :)
There are many trust worth companies to do it with though such as Berry Bros and Rudd. Fine and Rare.

The simple fact is all you do is buy the wine. Keep it in bond. Keeping your gains tax free. Keep an eye on how much it's worth and prey it goes up. Assuming you have a trust worthy source to buy the wines from, in terms of risk it's no different than stocks.

How much are the kinds of wines you go for?
Original post by lyrical_lie
I used to work in TSB and if they haven't changed the rules I'm pretty sure you can have up to 3 accounts with the 5% you just have to bounce the minimum amount you have to put in the accounts around. So set up a SO to move x amount from one of the accounts into another then another then leave it where you need it.

Actually your allowed 2 accounts in your name. 1 sole & 1 joint.
Original post by simondo93
Actually your allowed 2 accounts in your name. 1 sole & 1 joint.

Ah they must have changed it, back when it was called "vantage" your could have 3.
Original post by Rakas21
How much are the kinds of wines you go for?

It varies you usually buy them by the case or half case. Some are around the £500 pound mark and some are around the £3,000 mark.
Reply 34
Original post by lyrical_lie
Ah they must have changed it, back when it was called "vantage" your could have 3.

They got rid of Vantage and replaced it with their Classic Plus account. 5% on first £2000. Initially you could have two sole accounts.

Bank of Scotland still offer Vantage and you can have three of them.
Original post by knack
They got rid of Vantage and replaced it with their Classic Plus account. 5% on first £2000. Initially you could have two sole accounts.

Bank of Scotland still offer Vantage and you can have three of them.

I have 2 Classic Plus accounts :s-smilie: Have they stopped allowing people to open 2 now?
Reply 36
I have 2 Classic Plus accounts :s-smilie: Have they stopped allowing people to open 2 now?

It was maximum of 2 sole and 2 joint accounts but now limited to 1 sole and 1 joint account. They had a transition period where if you opened your first within a certain time you could open a second even though new customers couldn't. This has now passed.
Reply 37
I think I’m late to this conversation but can anyone advise me on good investment opportunities I can make. I have 4000 pounds.
Reply 38
Original post by DD777
I think I’m late to this conversation but can anyone advise me on good investment opportunities I can make. I have 4000 pounds.

Whats your time horizon for the investment?
Reply 39
Original post by DD777
I think I’m late to this conversation

Don't worry, we're still here!

Latest

Trending

Trending