The Student Room Group

Anyone have a career in Motorsport and how did you there?

As above has anyone got into the Motorsport industry and what is your role? How did you get to where you are now? University? college? Through a family member? Friend or just applied? I'm only asking as I'm about to go to university to study Motorsport technology Bsc (Hons) and wonder if I should have gone down the MEng or BEng route?
I'd like to eventually work on and build competition cars but if not become a race technician. I'm more hands on and have some experience of building track cars or rally cars & projects etc.

Thanks Scott
In my view, someone who works on and builds competition cars is a race technician and I personally dont think a degree is the best way to go about getting a job in this field. From my experience, the best thing for a job of this kind is experience. There are plenty of teams out there looking for volunteers at race weekends, which is a great way to get contacts and experience.
I have just completed the Motorsport technology Bsc hons and chose the course in view of becoming a design engineer. Im now starting to think that for this role I should have done a Mechanical engineering degree.
Reply 2
Funny because I made a similar post two years ago:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=41386615&highlight=

Definitely try to get into Formula Student if where you're going does it. Good luck with your course, I'm hoping someone will chip in as I'm starting my MEng Aero/Astro Engineering and want to do similar things in designing.
Original post by Nadja92
Funny because I made a similar post two years ago:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=41386615&highlight=

Definitely try to get into Formula Student if where you're going does it. Good luck with your course, I'm hoping someone will chip in as I'm starting my MEng Aero/Astro Engineering and want to do similar things in designing.

The best way to get into any car type company is having experience like you say formula student is really good to get involved in as well as stuff like building engine models (you can get kits and build your own just as something to show that you're interested in the engine tech)! Couple those things with a good degree grade and a well made CV you can make it to interview stages and have stuff to talk about.

Edit: From your earlier thread shouldn't you be in second year of your degree now or did you take a gap year? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by trapking
Edit: From your earlier thread shouldn't you be in second year of your degree now or did you take a gap year? :smile:

Ah, I started the foundation year in 13/14, circumstances led me to repeat it during 14/15, now starting in 15/16 my MEng in Aero/Astro Engineering.
Original post by Nadja92
Ah, I started the foundation year in 13/14, circumstances led me to repeat it during 14/15, now starting in 15/16 my MEng in Aero/Astro Engineering.

Ahh I see, good luck! You must be excited now (remember to work hard if you want to be a good engineer :smile: )
Reply 6
Original post by trapking
Ahh I see, good luck! You must be excited now (remember to work hard if you want to be a good engineer :smile: )

Very excited thanks :smile: learnt what I did wrong in my first year and know how to sort it for the future so looking forward to starting in a few weeks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending