The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Clayhill Halls

HI!

I just sorted my accommodation today :smile: And was just wondering if someone can let me know what Clayhill is like? From a students experience and view? :smile:
Thank x
Reply 1
Original post by reechu69
HI!

I just sorted my accommodation today :smile: And was just wondering if someone can let me know what Clayhill is like? From a students experience and view? :smile:
Thank x

I lived in Clayhill a few years ago so I don't know if it's changed much in 5 years.

Firstly, the kitchens are TINYYY unless you're staying in block 58 (which was my block). Like, they're seriously small but they still held some decent parties.

The uni bus is small too, and there's only one bus for Clayhill. Seething Wells (the other halls site) has two double-decker buses, whilst Clayhill only has one tiny bus that is pretty much always late.

The internet was ok, I had problems with my heating but that didn't really happen to anyone else.You have to get used to having a lot of keys- 1 for the main door,1 for your flat door and another for your bedroom door.

The staff are really good and help you out with most stuff, the halls security will stop the party if they find out (they didn't help when my friends phone got stolen at a flat party because we weren't supposed to be having it in the first place).There's a common room which is good for meeting up and having pre-drinks before a night out, and a laundry room, which is a good place to get reading done while your getting your washing done.

Clayhill does look a bit isolated when you first get there but once you get used to it, it's great.There's a field at the front too which is nice in summer for laying out and extra nice in winter when it snows, especially for snowfights.

It does get loud though, so bring some earplugs. I was woken up CONSTANTLY from the loud doors banging to people shouting and drunk people singing at 4am so just prepare yourself for that. And the fridge is pretty small so you won't fit too much in there sharing with three other people.

BUT it's amazing & sometimes stressful living in halls. You'll have a memorable year!
(edited 8 years ago)
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Reply 2
Original post by MissJGB
I lived in Clayhill a few years ago so I don't know if it's changed much in 5 years.

Firstly, the kitchens are TINYYY unless you're staying in block 58 (which was my block). Like, they're seriously small but they still held some decent parties.

The uni bus is small too, and there's only one bus for Clayhill. Seething Wells (the other halls site) has two double-decker buses, whilst Clayhill only has one tiny bus that is pretty much always late.

The internet was ok, I had problems with my heating but that didn't really happen to anyone else.You have to get used to having a lot of keys- 1 for the main door,1 for your flat door and another for your bedroom door.

The staff are really good and help you out with most stuff, the halls security will stop the party if they find out (they didn't help when my friends phone got stolen at a flat party because we weren't supposed to be having it in the first place).There's a common room which is good for meeting up and having pre-drinks before a night out, and a laundry room, which is a good place to get reading done while your getting your washing done.

Clayhill does look a bit isolated when you first get there but once you get used to it, it's great.There's a field at the front too which is nice in summer for laying out and extra nice in winter when it snows, especially for snowfights.

It does get loud though, so bring some earplugs. I was woken up CONSTANTLY from the loud doors banging to people shouting and drunk people singing at 4am so just prepare yourself for that. And the fridge is pretty small so you won't fit too much in there sharing with three other people.

BUT it's amazing & sometimes stressful living in halls. You'll have a memorable year!

Thank you!

I'm fine with having a load of keys, It's remembering which key is what :P
I expected there to be some interruptions and stuff, it's just nice to hear a view form someone who had stayed there before :smile:
I lived with a housemate for 2 years so I'm used to the loud bangs and drunken noises that comes with it x) Turns out a friend of mine stayed there in her first year and enjoyed it, she only had a problem with the shower.

Do you happen to remember what size the room was like? I've tried to look up images but haven't found any...

Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by reechu69
Thank you!

I'm fine with having a load of keys, It's remembering which key is what :P
I expected there to be some interruptions and stuff, it's just nice to hear a view form someone who had stayed there before :smile:
I lived with a housemate for 2 years so I'm used to the loud bangs and drunken noises that comes with it x) Turns out a friend of mine stayed there in her first year and enjoyed it, she only had a problem with the shower.

Do you happen to remember what size the room was like? I've tried to look up images but haven't found any...

Thanks for your help :smile:

The rooms are pretty small, there's a single bed, a desk, a wardrobe with a full length mirror on the inside, shelves and an ensuite bathroom. But there's enough room to have a good few people in your room at once, the size was never a problem tbh. I worked out in my room and it never felt too small.

I lived in a house with 3 other girls and that was nothing like living in halls, the amount of noise coming from below you, above you and next to you and outside is like nothing else!

Any other questions you have I'll be happy to answer :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by MissJGB
The rooms are pretty small, there's a single bed, a desk, a wardrobe with a full length mirror on the inside, shelves and an ensuite bathroom. But there's enough room to have a good few people in your room at once, the size was never a problem tbh. I worked out in my room and it never felt too small.

I lived in a house with 3 other girls and that was nothing like living in halls, the amount of noise coming from below you, above you and next to you and outside is like nothing else!

Any other questions you have I'll be happy to answer :smile:

I think I'm on the top floor my friend said, so hopefully wont have to worry about above noise :smile:

oo mirror! That's handy!

With your experience, other than ear plugs and extra blankets for heat, do you recommend anything else I should take that probably won't be listed? :smile:
Reply 5
Erm, cutlery with like a pattern or something on it so you know it's yours. I kept mine in a separate holder in the kitchen so I knew that no one was stealing my knives and forks lol same goes for plates. If you get plain silver cutlery and plain white plates, you can't tell which is yours in the washing up. Random I know, but it helped me!

Maybe bring speakers for your music. There's an extension lead under the desk (I think) but you might want to bring another one just in case.
I brought a TV with me but the reception wasn't that great but still worth it when the internet decided to stop working (which happens often and can be quite slow sometimes).

I was gonna say to get a printer but the year after I left, Kingston changed its policy and you only have to upload your assignments to turnitin rather than also give in a paper copy. So I'm not sure if you still need a printout of your work. Once you find out if that's still the case then decide if you need a printer.
I got a place at clayhill halls, what are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending