The Student Room Group

Not sure about Scottish uni's but in England you have to pay

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yellow636
Ive always seen it as being racist, if you are from England you must pay but if you are Scottish you are entitled for free tuition.

Could not agree more with your point too. What a world we live in.

Wasn't aware Scotland was a different race from England...

We have different governments with Westminster making you pay and Scotland making free tuition a priority. If you have a problem with that then take it up with your own government, not ours. We really have nothing to do with it.
Original post by EllieC12345
Glasgow Uni is meant to be a really good university though so its worth debating it. (But it does depend on the subject)

It is a great university but not in the context of the other universities they are considering (Cambridge, LSE and Durham).
Reply 22
Original post by Sophie507

Someone has probably pointed this out already, but why not go to Edinburgh or St. Andrews? Both are very good unis and you wouldn't have to pay. In any case you should probably apply to some English ones too as you can't guarantee getting into any good uni (even if you have straight As, etc. chance plays a role too).
Now the ranting begins..
Original post by Yellow636
Well, if it was up to me, you would have to pay £9000 a year for Scottish universities anyway... Hate how Scottish people get the option of free university tuition.

Thanks England

Seriously? Instead of complaining that Scotland has free universities, you should be protesting against uni fees altogether
Just go to lots of open days and choose the university where you'll be happiest :smile: it's a lot easier to pay that huge chunk of money back than you think, they just take a fraction of your income over a certain amount. Plus it's better to have some student debt but do well in your degree because you went somewhere where you were happy and supported!
Original post by Dylank96
Wasn't aware Scotland was a different race from England...
Generally speaking yes. If you look at it historically the Scots are mostly Celts like the Welsh the Irish and the Cornish but the English are mainly Anglo-Saxon.
We have different governments with Westminster making you pay and Scotland making free tuition a priority. If you have a problem with that then take it up with your own government, not ours. We really have nothing to do with it.
The Scots get free tuition in Scotland. The rest have to pay full price for tuition in Scotland. The Scots have to pay full price for tuition anywhere else.
London nicer than Glasgow? Lol good one.
Original post by 04MR17
Generally speaking yes. If you look at it historically the Scots are mostly Celts like the Welsh the Irish and the Cornish but the English are mainly Anglo-Saxon.The Scots get free tuition in Scotland. The rest have to pay full price for tuition in Scotland. The Scots have to pay full price for tuition anywhere else.

But we're not looking at it historically, are we? The statement was that Scottish people are a different race here and now. History isn't static, it progresses and new races form. Much like the anglo-saxons are a combination of different people but we consider them as a race of people. This is quite irrelevant, nevertheless, it was clearly outing Scots as a different race today which, I think, was based on a misunderstanding of the term 'racism' and I wouldn't defend it if I were you.

As for your second paragraph, I don't see your point? I already know this. Being a Scot at an English universities makes me painfully aware of the fact I'm paying the same as you.
Original post by Omni Vanitas
Seriously? Instead of complaining that Scotland has free universities, you should be protesting against uni fees altogether

It was more of a complaint that I do not live in Scotland :P

To be honest, I think people should pay a tuition fee, however £9000 is a little steep :smile:
in Scotland... best universities would be Edinburgh and St Andrews... or pay for an English university.

Best for who? That depends on the student, what they want to study, where they want to be, and many other factors. Rankings should not be relied on but Glasgow has a better reputation than Edinburgh in some subjects and better than St Andrews in even more. Personally, I don't think it makes much sense to pay fees to study in England but I certainly understand wanting to move somewhere new.
Original post by xenophile
Best for who? That depends on the student, what they want to study, where they want to be, and many other factors. Rankings should not be relied on but Glasgow has a better reputation than Edinburgh in some subjects and better than St Andrews in even more. Personally, I don't think it makes much sense to pay fees to study in England but I certainly understand wanting to move somewhere new.

Objectively speaking Edinburgh and St Andrews are the "best" universities in Scotland going by their reputation, prestige, entry standards, research, facilities... This is, of course, in general but that's the view the nature of the discussion demands. There will always be subjects that Glasgow is better in than Edinburgh and St Andrews but other than those exceptions the latter two are perceived as better than the former.

For me, England has all the best departments for my subject and I much preferred the degree structure.
Objectively speaking Edinburgh and St Andrews are the "best" universities in Scotland going by their reputation, prestige, entry standards, research, facilities...

Please enlighten us about how you conclude St. Andrews is "objectively" better than Glasgow.

You obviously know something these ranking institutions don't:

CWUR: Glasgow 137, St Andrews 323
THE World Rankings: Glasgow 94, St Andrews 111
US News World Rankings: Glasgow 112, St Andrews 208
ARWU: Glasgow 101-150, St Andrews 201-300
(No, higher is not better)

Don't get me wrong, university rankings are hardly objective, but they at least follow some sort of methodology.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by Sam280297
What makes me more annoyed it the fact that students from the EU (excluding England, Wales and Northern Ireland) get free tuition but the rest of the UK doesn't. If that was English doing that to the Scottish then the SNP would be playing holy hell about it.

There is a law in the EU stating that people (from country A) in a foreign country (country B) should be treated the same the people from country B would be treated in country A. So say A is Scotland and B is Germany: Germans (B) don't have to pay 9000 in Scotland (A) as Scots (A) don't have to pay in Germany (B) either.

But Scots have to pay in England, so the English have to pay in Scotland. It's quite fair, really, if you think about it.

I hope that's understandable :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by AnonaG
There is a law in the EU stating that people (from country A) in a foreign country (country B) should be treated the same the people from country B would be treated in country A. So say A is Scotland and B is Germany: Germans (B) don't have to pay 9000 in Scotland (A) as Scots (A) don't have to pay in Germany (B) either.

But Scots have to pay in England, so the English have to pay in Scotland. It's quite fair, really, if you think about it.

I hope that's understandable :smile:

Are you really trying to justify Scotland's ridiculous tuition fee rules?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xenophile
Please enlighten us about how you conclude St. Andrews is "objectively" better than Glasgow.

You obviously know something these ranking institutions don't:

CWUR: Glasgow 137, St Andrews 323
THE World Rankings: Glasgow 94, St Andrews 111
US News World Rankings: Glasgow 112, St Andrews 208
ARWU: Glasgow 101-150, St Andrews 201-300
(No, higher is not better)

Don't get me wrong, university rankings are hardly objective, but they at least follow some sort of methodology.

I really finding it hard to believe that you're implying Glasgow is a better university than St Andrews. I could just as easily pick out a plethora of British rankings which conclude that St Andrews is "better" than Glasgow and I will:

The Complete University Guide - St Andrews 5, Glasgow 30
The Guardian - St Andrews 3, Glasgow 26
The Sunday Times - St Andrews 3, Glasgow 26

Don't get me wrong, these university rankings are hardly objective, but they at least follow some sort of methodology.

I'm not, however, resorting to rankings to make my point but rather general consensus on prestige and reputation. This is, of course, more than partial to subjectivity but not to the extent of Glasgow being better than St Andrews. You go out and ask the pubic which one has a better reputation, or any employer for that fact, and I know which one they'll choose. Do you by any chance go to Glasgow or have something against St Andrews?
Original post by justag

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you're saying that I should have to pay coming to an English university from Scotland but you shouldn't coming to a Scottish university from England?
Reply 37
So you're saying that I should have to pay coming to an English university from Scotland but you shouldn't coming to a Scottish university from England?

Yes exactly. I'm an EU citizen I should have the same tuition fee rights as any other EU student. You didn't have to come to England, you chose to pay fees. As things stand now, English students don't even get the option, which is clearly not fair. If you don't like it, study in Scotland.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justag
Yes exactly. I'm an EU citizen I should have the same tuition fee rights as any other EU student. You didn't have to come to England, you chose to pay fees. As things stand now, English students don't even get the option, which is clearly not fair. If you don't like it, study in Scotland.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And you don't have to come to Scotland, if you don't want to pay for fees here then stay in England. Under European law, we must let students from the EU receive free tuition but this is not the same for other parts of our member state such as England. In any case, there are clearly far from English students applying to study at Scottish universities than Scottish students apply for English ones, as a percentage, so it would be proportionally at our disadvantage.

If you want free tutting fees then take it up with your government, not ours.
Reply 39
Original post by justag

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was trying to illustrate why people from England have to pay in Scotland, that's all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending