The Student Room Group

Chances at Oxbridge, or nada?

Hey, so I'm an international student etc etc and I'm looking forward to applying for English. I just got my AS results (CIE) - and my predicted grades, and I was (pleasantly) surprised at the grades and wondered if I could rekindle my Oxford/Cambridge dream. So here are the facts

GCSEs - A* for English and English Literature, A for Bio, ICT, Math, B for Physics, Chem, Statistics, Global Perspectives.

so my GCSEs were horrible-ish (due to me being forced into the Science stream by my stereotypically Asian school, which is why I put down all my hopes for Oxbridge)

My AS results are straight As for Economics, Psychology, Math, and English Literature with 97th percentile in English Lit.

so, I've been predicted A*A*A*A (A being for Math) for my overall, and I'll definitely try to get it -

Other unis I'm trying to are: Durham, York, Warwick, Exeter

so the question is, would it be worth it for me to apply to Cambridge (because apparently Oxford gives a big crap about GCSEs)?? Or would it be a waste on my PS? I'm pretty comfortable with interviews, etc - and was primarily worrying about my grades.
Yes it is definitely worth applying, but in case you didn't know you can only apply to one of oxford or cambridge.
Original post by Jayd Shah
Hey, so I'm an international student etc etc and I'm looking forward to applying for English. I just got my AS results (CIE) - and my predicted grades, and I was (pleasantly) surprised at the grades and wondered if I could rekindle my Oxford/Cambridge dream. So here are the facts

GCSEs - A* for English and English Literature, A for Bio, ICT, Math, B for Physics, Chem, Statistics, Global Perspectives.

so my GCSEs were horrible-ish (due to me being forced into the Science stream by my stereotypically Asian school, which is why I put down all my hopes for Oxbridge)

My AS results are straight As for Economics, Psychology, Math, and English Literature with 97th percentile in English Lit.

so, I've been predicted A*A*A*A (A being for Math) for my overall, and I'll definitely try to get it -

so the question is, would it be worth it for me to apply to Cambridge (because apparently Oxford gives a big crap about GCSEs)?? Or would it be a waste on my PS? I'm pretty comfortable with interviews, etc - and was primarily worrying about my grades.

Hi,
I want to study English too at exactly the same Unis as you, and I'm in a similair position. I don't know my AS results or target grades for A2 until thursday but I'm hoping for AAAB. You've done great in AS and your GCSEs are good too, I'd say go for it, what have you got to lose?
Matt
Reply 3
Original post by Spivo1410
Hi,
I want to study English too at exactly the same Unis as you, and I'm in a similair position. I don't know my AS results or target grades for A2 until thursday but I'm hoping for AAAB. You've done great in AS and your GCSEs are good too, I'd say go for it, what have you got to lose?
Matt

Results day today, right? Hope you've done great! :smile:
Results day today, right? Hope you've done great! :smile:

Hi I got AAAC (gonna have the C remarked, two off a B) and got 198/200 in my Lit AS level, so I think i might as well give it a shot at Cambridge, from what I know my average UMS from my top 3 AS levels is 93% so I should get an interview (hopefully)

Cambridge look at your UMS too, not just grades.

Come to this side of forum.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=15
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending