The Student Room Group

Getting a U in your AS

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chaoticfaerie
A in art
B in media
E in politics

I'm planning to drop Politics

so your results in art and media are good, you could always just resit 1 or both of the Politics papers and drop sociology, you said you put more effort into sociology, yet you still get a higher grade in politics, maybe that is a sign that sociologyis not for you, and if you transfer that effort towards politics then you could easily improe that E grade next year. :smile:

All still to play for my friend.
Original post by Paulwyn
It happens, when I took my A-Levels I foolishly decided on Chemistry and Physics with English and Religious Studies...post GCSE my brain flipped from Science-centric to humanities and I bombed hard in Physics (also getting a U).

12 years later, went to uni, got a degree, spent 18 months living in Andorra and Barcelona and have an amazing job and huge recognition within my sector.

So long story short, it happens, work hard on your A2's and make the most of the academic or vocational options that will open up to you next August.

Good Luck!

I can't belive you did all those subjects :redface:
Thank you, this gave me a shed of hope. I will work harder than ever this year. I think getting my U was a wake up call for me and at least now I have something that will motivate me to do my best :smile:
Original post by xAssassin786
Meh i only revised for 3 days in total. Its a shock that i managed to get an A.

Some people are just naturally born to be good at it I suppose. I wouldn't question it if I were you lol. As long as you got your A 🎉
Original post by SCIENCE :D
so your results in art and media are good, you could always just resit 1 or both of the Politics papers and drop sociology, you said you put more effort into sociology, yet you still get a higher grade in politics, maybe that is a sign that sociologyis not for you, and if you transfer that effort towards politics then you could easily improe that E grade next year. :smile:

All still to play for my friend.

You've got a point. Thank you for your advice :smile:
I'm just glad that both my art and media are good since they're the most important subjects for the course I wanna do. Maybe I will do what you said or i'll change to a different subject, either way thanks again :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Some people are just naturally born to be good at it I suppose. I wouldn't question it if I were you lol. As long as you got your A 🎉

I was one of the luckiest people at my sixth form. So many people failed. I managed to get A B C C. Im planning to resit the Rs p2 to change it to an A, psychology from an C to a B and English Literature from a C to a B. I want to end up with A A B B for my AS levels and A A B for my overall A Levels
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by xAssassin786
I was one of the luckiest people at my sixth. So many people failed. I managed to get A B C C. Im planning to resit the Rs p2 to change it to an A, psychology from an C to a B and English Literature from a C to a B. I want to end up with A A B B for my AS levels and A A B for my overall A Levels

maybe your 'revise for 3 days' technique only works for 1 subject, not your others...
Original post by tan030
maybe your 'revise for 3 days' technique only works for 1 subject, not your others...

I revised for months for my other subjects thank you very much
Reply 27
Don't give up. In my AS I got a D in unit 1 and a U in unit 2 and that averaged out to a U overall.

This year I came out with a B overall.
A in art
B in media
E in politics

I still think this is a good basis to build on. Definitely worth continuing with art and media, just got to find what else to do. I still think there's a lot to feel positive about overall. (I should take a leaf out of my own book...nine years later I still tell myself off for getting annoyed at my one C rather than being pleased with my two As even though that's not rational!)
I'm just so bummed though. I studied harder for my sociology than my politics but still got E in politics. Also I've been better in sociology throughout the year. Do you think I can get my paper remarked or is there no point? Not sure if I'll keep it on now or do a different subject. I have a meeting with my teacher & head of year next week and I'll probably ask them then :smile:

You tried your best then, so I would not advise you to get it remarked. Drop the subject and choose another subject. One that you like and you know, you would be able to do well in. Yes, that would be a good thing to do. Discuss everything with them, to make an informed decision. I wish you the best with your studies! :smile:
Reply 30
A in art
B in media
E in politics

Will your school or college let you carry on with a U though?
I got a U in my sociology. What do I do? What are my options??

Literally in the same boat as you. I got the same grade and I pretty much did absolutely crap in my AS. Depression has always been there and this just made it worse. I feel like ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by anvianzi
Literally in the same boat as you. I got the same grade and I pretty much did absolutely crap in my AS. Depression has always been there and this just made it worse. I feel like ****.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got a U at as. I managed to convince them to keep me on and I retook unit 2 this year. You have to show complete dedication and put in 110% effort. It worked for me - I went from a U to a B overall this year :smile: x
Reply 33
Original post by anvianzi

Posted from TSR Mobile

Chin up mate

Anything is possible. just read the endless accounts of people who had poor AS grades but turned it round through work and changing revision techniques!
Reply 34
No problem mate to be honest, either drop it next year or retake it and work harder.
Reply 35
Original post by mlimbo_
I got a U at as. I managed to convince them to keep me on and I retook unit 2 this year. You have to show complete dedication and put in 110% effort. It worked for me - I went from a U to a B overall this year :smile: x

Congrats

what do you think you did differently? Did you change your revision technique and practiced more exam questions?
Reply 36
Original post by mlimbo_

Do this.
Reply 37
Original post by xxvine
Congrats

what do you think you did differently? Did you change your revision technique and practiced more exam questions?

Ooooh.. Well to be honest I stopped thinking negatively. I stuck my exam sheet with the results on my wardrobe so I could always see it so I was always determined to do better than a U... I also read over my notes and my text book religiously, made hundreds of flash cards so I could read them at work. I also think A2 is a lot more interesting (I did Beliefs and Values & Crime and Deviance)
My mock results for A2 were at E grades throughout the year too. My advice is not to give up. If you have a passion for the subject it should drive you to succeed X
Reply 38
Original post by mlimbo_
Ooooh.. Well to be honest I stopped thinking negatively. I stuck my exam sheet with the results on my wardrobe so I could always see it so I was always determined to do better than a U... I also read over my notes and my text book religiously, made hundreds of flash cards so I could read them at work. I also think A2 is a lot more interesting (I did Beliefs and Values & Crime and Deviance)
My mock results for A2 were at E grades throughout the year too. My advice is not to give up. If you have a passion for the subject it should drive you to succeed X

Result!
That sounds good. I was asking so that people can get motivation from this. All well and saying you will do better next year but the key thing is HOW ARE YOU GOING TO DO BETTER!
I've never had a proper technique of studying. I literally don't know how to study.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending