The Student Room Group

Boyfriend got UUU in AS levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Yeah he's thinking of doing that

I am also, at a science and engineering college, so I'm in the same sorry situation as him, although I think it will be actually be more enjoyable than contuing with the subjects I hated. I looked and it says that Liverpool want the equivalent of A* at A level so there's still hope for him (and me) going to a good university without A levels (or being sponsored for the Btec and getting a job or something). It is not a total disaster for him (or me)
Original post by jelmes96
To be fair though, should we really let letters on a piece of paper determine who we want to be with. If you love him for who he is, you will look past those grades

Of course she shouldn't, that would be a callous, unjustified and shallow thing to do. Don't you agree OP?
I'm not leaving him. We were talking on phone and he was just sobbing.I honestly didn't know what to say to keep him strong

Well, if he went "Please don't leave me" then it would be quite easy to tell he is feeling upset but that he has also let you down. He felt that it was something he needed in his life to assure you he was good enough for you. You don't ever need to say specific words, your feelings and emotions need to show him that you don't dislike him for failing. Guys can act tough but sometimes they really just need support when they can't handle situations. Don't let him use you from guilt tripping but you should probably help him with things to show him that you won't be leaving him.

I know a ton of people who have said they won't walk out on me then have within hours of saying that to me, with all the bull of how much I mean to them.
Yeah like XXX even exists

It actually does :tongue: a friend of mine got an X because he didn't even turn up for the exam
Original post by HornDirndlFest
This is what I'm going to do and I got UUUU. I feel his pain, memorising a load of bull**** about psychological case studies just wasn't my thing. I think this which I'm going to do will be much more enjoyable.

OP, as long as you understand him as a person and his intelligence is obvious in infinitely more telling ways then you've no reason to consider leaving him. I'm assuming being kept in the manner to which you're accustomed isn't a factor

which btecs are you going to do coz im in a similar position
Original post by Arkarian
If anyone walks out on a person because of a single result like this that doesn't really matter overall I honestly could never like that person.
Walking out because of a random grade fluctuation is the coldest thing you could ever do. Even the fact you might consider it is stupid.

The whole idea of a relationship is to be there for someone, if he asked you to not leave it just means he has gotten sad or depressed about his result because he did try for it. Just be there for him if you love him and if not you are still his friend right?

Anyone who walks out in this situation is a person I'd never want to talk to.

lol "random grade fluctuation". getting 3 Us is the work of an entire year not a minor fluctuation.
To be fair to the girl here, someone who is supposedly smart and does that badly must be an idiot.
He is considering taking a BTEC
He doesn't want to retake AS.
We used to revise Maths together.lol after college.And he was predicted ABB.He has been crying the whole time.

which btecs is he considering?
Reply 47
Either:

A) work out what went wrong and retake the year

B) take a BTEC in Engineering then go to university

I went with option B (never took any form of A level however) and still ended up in a redbrick. No-one will care once you graduate (I'm a full time engineer, only here due to being a masters student) trust me :smile:
Reply 48
Imagine getting GG for your results... (Let's hope at least one person gets that reference)

That's all someone said to me when I told them mine :lol:
Original post by HornDirndlFest
Of course she shouldn't, that would be a callous, unjustified and shallow thing to do. Don't you agree OP?

I'm not leaving him.It's a really hard time in his life right now.We're both going to find a solution so that he finds somewhere to start in September.
Original post by Badgr
Either:

A) work out what went wrong and retake the year

B) take a BTEC in Engineering then go to university

I went with option B (never took any form of A level however) and still ended up in a redbrick. No-one will care once you graduate (I'm a full time engineer, only here due to being a masters student) trust me :smile:

yeah he's going to consider BTEC.
Reply 51
yeah he's going to consider BTEC.

Whoops, just saw you said that already :3

Either way, good luck to you and him, be happy :smile:
He'll be okay. I messed up my qualifications completely due to my own issues and not doing any work. I was predicted at least an A in every subject and should've achieved that but I didn't even come close. In a few years he is unlikely to care; there is plenty of time for him to make good choices and move forwards from here. I know of several people who have turned U/E results into B+ results after retaking the year because the poor results were an embarrassing wake-up call for them. Good luck to both of you.
Original post by elen90
That's all someone said to me when I told them mine :lol:

YES someone got it! Why, did you get GG? xD
Everyone is saying to retake the year, which is fine but you don't get UUU by accident. Clearly something went badly wrong and you should work out what it is (absence, no motivation, inability to work in exams) before he moves on.
Reply 55
YES someone got it! Why, did you get GG? xD

We were having a friendly competition over who did better. They told me their results proudly and were sure that they'd won, but turns out I beat them. They went silent for a few moments, said 'gg' and then walked away :tongue:
Leave him
Original post by elen90
We were having a friendly competition over who did better. They told me their results proudly and were sure that they'd won, but turns out I beat them. They went silent for a few moments, said 'gg' and then walked away :tongue:

A bit of banter then :wink: I remember finding out my AS results 2 years ago. I was in Russia at Domededovo airport waiting to board my plane to Gatwick. My best friend collected my results and took a picture of them. I'm pretty sure everyone thought I was weird when letting a little cheer out xD
Original post by Unicorn16
which btecs are you going to do coz im in a similar position

Level 3 Engineering
Original post by Mamoixen
Well I know a couple of people that get good results at A level ( A*A*A*a ) results on hard work alone, they're not very clever, even by their own admission. I also know people who are clever and haven't done very well at all, (CBB). Though not being able to work hard, is just as bad as being stupid, it's a genetic fault in my opinion. You can tell when people are clever or not when you talk to them for a while, clever people tend to come up with original ideas, and innovative propositions, free thinking and imagination. That has absolutely nothing to do with grades.

Clever + Hardwork = A*A*A*
Not Clever + Hardwork = A*A*A*

I got good grades, I scored an A* in A level maths amongst other good grades. Now hypothetically, within the realms of human achievement, if somebody scores A*A*A* it isn't very impressive is it? Don't be so flippant about people. Now if he can't work hard, then that will shine through to other areas of his life, that's a different matter. And concerning if Academia is for him or not? perhaps it isn't but that doesn't mean he can't be infinitely more successful than someone who suits academia. For example, I know builders who left school at 15, and they are profoundly more successful/wealthy than a great many number of people I know who went to top Universities...

Stop with the false hope. Someone with below average intelligence will never achieve those sort of grades. People like that just aren't suited for academics.

I'm sure it happens, but lets be real, those are exceptions. Someone who leaves school at 15 are less likely to succeed than those who go to top universities.

http://gurucareers.com/is-a-degree-education-worth-the-money/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending