The Student Room Group

Boyfriend got UUU in AS levels

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I'm not leaving him.It's a really hard time in his life right now.We're both going to find a solution so that he finds somewhere to start in September.

Try Bolton University they have foundation courses to get you back on track and will take almost anyone who can convince them they are determined to work hard.
Original post by sqwertylol
lol "random grade fluctuation". getting 3 Us is the work of an entire year not a minor fluctuation.
To be fair to the girl here, someone who is supposedly smart and does that badly must be an idiot.

Or like some people can, the guy had a problem that caused him so much issue he failed.
Reply 62
A Levels (and AS Levels) don't dictate how he'll do in life! Jeremy Clarkson got CUU and he still had a decent job
So yeah he got UUU in Maths, Physics and chemistry.He has always been smart.He was planning to do Mechanical engineering at uni.I honestly don't know what to tell him.He told me not to abandon him.

It sounds to me like this is because he hasn't had to work particularly hard to achieve good results in the past. It's the only reason I can think of why someone would do so little work that they achieve all U's and still be surprised enough to be upset about it.
Bad results can be a brilliant thing if they prompt him to change his attitude drastically.
[QUOTE="Jibola240;58495429"]Stop with the false hope. Someone with below average intelligence will never achieve those sort of grades. People like that just aren't suited for academics.

I'm sure it happens, but lets be real, those are exceptions. Someone who leaves school at 15 are less likely to succeed than those who go to top universities.

http://gurucareers.com/is-a-degree-education-worth-the-money/[/QUOTE]

There is no false hope. I'm not concerned about the relationship the OP, I don't care if she dumps him, I don't care if he dumps her, I don't care if he becomes successful or does not. I'm simply stating the fact, that people who go to University generally wind up with working in a normal job, nothing special, £65,000 salary, hardly setting the world alight.

If you really want to be successful, then the characteristics that get you into a top university, are NOT in whole the characteristics that will make you money or allow you to achieve success.

People who go to Oxbridge, may (on average) be more intelligent than those who do not, and those who go to Russell Group Universities may (on average) be more intelligent than those who ex-polytechnic Universities. But being able to regurgitate information on an exam, and I get good grades, isn't really anything special. Innovation, creativity, free thinking and originality is what is admirable.

Give me self-belief, with a slight hint of arrogance, confidence, balls and business acumen over insane intelligence any day of the week.
[QUOTE=hasii;58489303]A lot of people who are smart don't do well at AS. A levels aren't the best measure of intelligence imo

That's something I expect someone who does BTECH to say. I think that if you get anything less than a C at A Level, you must either be pretty dumb or pretty lazy.
As someone who really values academic intelligence, I would be incredibly concerned if my boyfriend got UUU in his A levels.

It's not that I think exam results are the be all and end all, or that people who don't do well academically can't be very successful in other areas, but since I find academic intelligence attractive (I'm a bit of a sapoiphile) I'm not sure I could be with someone who managed to completely fail all his AS exams.

I'm not saying that I would dump them straight away just because of the results, but it would certainly give me cause to reconsider the relationship.
Original post by Butternuts96
That's something I expect someone who does BTECH to say. I think that if you get anything less than a C at A Level, you must either be pretty dumb or pretty lazy.

Hey.....if you're pretty enough it doesn't matter much if you're dumb.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Proxenus
He's results ain't bad but he can redo the year.

Some people know the material but just suck at exams :smile:

Also that's cute of him asking you not to abandon him :colondollar:

His results aint bad? lol. He got the worst grades possible
So yeah he got UUU in Maths, Physics and chemistry.He has always been smart.He was planning to do Mechanical engineering at uni.I honestly don't know what to tell him.He told me not to abandon him.

Retake the year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Posted from TSR Mobile

He should probably resit the year or transfer to a BTEC course.
Original post by Badgr
Either:

A) work out what went wrong and retake the year

B) take a BTEC in Engineering then go to university

I went with option B (never took any form of A level however) and still ended up in a redbrick. No-one will care once you graduate (I'm a full time engineer, only here due to being a masters student) trust me :smile:

Which university and what did you get in the Btech? Engineering seems very common for us (???). Have you done well since? I was looking at the websites and Liverpool want D*DD, whatever that means (I know it means something like A*). Maybe I could become a do aerospace engineering and become a pilot
For a "smart" person to achieve UUU something is SERIOUSLY WRONG
I've seen plenty of people in my school that does zero work, who play games 6 hours a day and pay minimal attention in lessons, even the worst one got at least 1 C
You better find the root of the problem for underperforming, and solve it. Or maybe he just isn't smart and it's your biased opinion that think he's smart.

Anyways It's your choice, if you like him then don't leave, if you really get fed up with him then it's your freedom to exit the relationship, ignore about what people say. Unless you are seriously dependent on the guy and seriously want to live the rest of your life with him despite the fact he will likely have a low income, you shouldn't let other people hold you back. I'm not gonna say fake and kind stuff others said, just statistically wise most secondary education relationships doesn't last...You should be 100% certain and have no regrets.
He deserves better than you for even questioning this. You should like a person for who they are
I don't think it's fair to second guess someone's response and question their morals, yes they are just grades and mean very little, but they could be indicative of wider personality traits - lazy, underachiever, dependent. There isn't enough information to even begin to know where this is coming from or understand their relationship and any underlying issues.

UUU is of course a very poor result, only slightly placated by the fact they are harder subjects. In reality it means nothing as a one off set of results, and a retake, work placement or change of career path would probably set him back on track.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mamoixen

People who go to Oxbridge, may (on average) be more intelligent than those who do not, and those who go to Russell Group Universities may (on average) be more intelligent than those who ex-polytechnic Universities. But being able to regurgitate information on an exam, and I get good grades, isn't really anything special. Innovation, creativity, free thinking and originality is what is admirable.

I agree with you innovation and creativity and passion are prime important. However everyone who ever attend an interview will claim they have those qualities, sadly those qualities cannot be measured with a quantitative scale and cannot be easily compared. The best and fairest way to distinguish best students from the less able ones is by examination, this has been proven successful for entirety of the modern history, as the vast majority of Nobel science prizes comes from uni students/workers and the better the uni the more achievements. Understandably, those who didn't succeed in exams will find all sort of excuses calling it unfair and doesn't matter. True, university is not the only way to live well, but you gain more options and control of your own life.

Exams is not all about recall, especially in the UK. For example biology is only 30% recall the rest is skill based. maths and chemistry they throw in question types you never seen and never prepared for, People with a simply good memory doesn't do well without necessary talent and experience
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 76
Original post by Plumstone
since I find academic intelligence attractive (I'm a bit of a sapoiphile) I'm not sure I could be with someone who managed to completely fail all his AS exams.

Academic intelligence =/= intelligence though. Case in point, I have very good academic achievements but lack all common sense and general knowledge. Admittedly it takes almost wilful ignorance in school/college to get 3Us - though it's much more understandable if in STEM subjects. The guy in question, if he is intelligent as OP suggests, must not have worked at all and paid very little attention in lessons, which you can criticise as laziness but not stupidity.
edit: should preferably have made the point that academic intelligence =/= academic achievement as you specified academic intelligence. Ability to succeed in a levels often doesn't imply you actually do.
(edited 8 years ago)

lol
Original post by 1 8 13 20 42
Academic intelligence =/= intelligence though. Case in point, I have very good academic achievements but lack all common sense and general knowledge. Admittedly it takes almost wilful ignorance in school/college to get 3Us - though it's much more understandable if in STEM subjects. The guy in question, if he is intelligent as OP suggests, must not have worked at all and paid very little attention in lessons, which you can criticise as laziness but not stupidity.
edit: should preferably have made the point that academic intelligence =/= academic achievement as you specified academic intelligence. Ability to succeed in a levels often doesn't imply you actually do.

That has nothing to do with intelligence.
Original post by hasii
A lot of people who are smart don't do well at AS. A levels aren't the best measure of intelligence imo

True, it's mostly to do with hard work and memory.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending