The Student Room Group

Boyfriend got UUU in AS levels

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
my boyf was panicking yesterday, equally asking if I would leave him (I got into medicine and he didn't) ... it's really hard to know what to say, but you definitely need to put your feelings to one side :smile: don't worry about solutions yet, just let him be sad, and make sure you are there for him. Don't get me wrong, tell him that there are options outside of A-levels, but he needs to find the path that suits him, and he will do that in his own time
He feels really needy right now, from the whole 'don't abandon me' thing, so keep that in mind.

Just be there for him and support him in whatever decision he makes, unless he makes a silly one. He could consider resitting, or a BTEC, apprenticeship etc.
Reply 82
Original post by Jibola240
That has nothing to do with intelligence.

I do like to think that as I am ridiculously clueless about many things...but I would say it is probably correlated at least. Of course you cannot measure intelligence with general knowledge questions but memory is certainly a component of intelligence; if we, and this is admittedly far-fetched, assume that people of a certain society are all privy to as much information as each-other, then you would expect the smarter ones to retain more of it.
does your boyfriend know that you decided the best way to help him would be to tell a load of strangers his results?
Are you currently studying Alevels, and if so what did you achieve? (That's if you are willing to share)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hope you 2 enjoyed the free reps I gave you :wink:

Original post by somemightsay888
What planet are you living on :erm:

Original post by StrawbAri
What the actual ****?
I'm laughing so hard right now
Original post by Butternuts96
That's something I expect someone who does BTECH to say. I think that if you get anything less than a C at A Level, you must either be pretty dumb or pretty lazy.

An E is a pass technically lmao
Original post by legendary1
Are you currently studying Alevels, and if so what did you achieve? (That's if you are willing to share)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got ABC
Original post by chelseafreak
does your boyfriend know that you decided the best way to help him would be to tell a load of strangers his results?

That's why am anon lol
Original post by Anonymous
That's why am anon lol

it doesn't matter if your anonymous as i doubt that the majority of people on here would know who your boyfriend is, the way i see it is you have shared his personal information with a load of strangers willingly and been anonymous so you don't feel bad.
He was really confident he had passed.So I don't know where he actually went wrong
Its not all bad. He still can resit those. My bf got DUU *cries* but via some miracle from the heavens themselves he got into a decent uni for accounting :h:
I meant it in terms of what the other guy implied. For instance, let's say someone got AAAE at AS, and perhaps that person got an E in let's say Chemistry.

Is that person automatically dumb, or are they just bad at chemistry?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 93
Loool

He was not on his job

Posted from TSR Mobile
AAA you are gonna be some professor
BBB you are gonna be some employee
CCC that employee will work for you
UUU forget it, you will end up in dumpster rofl
Why are you telling the world what I got for my AS? :frown:
Original post by AndyChow
I agree with you innovation and creativity and passion are prime important. However everyone who ever attend an interview will claim they have those qualities, sadly those qualities cannot be measured with a quantitative scale and cannot be easily compared. The best and fairest way to distinguish best students from the less able ones is by examination, this has been proven successful for entirety of the modern history, as the vast majority of Nobel science prizes comes from uni students/workers and the better the uni the more achievements. Understandably, those who didn't succeed in exams will find all sort of excuses calling it unfair and doesn't matter. True, university is not the only way to live well, but you gain more options and control of your own life.

Exams is not all about recall, especially in the UK. For example biology is only 30% recall the rest is skill based. maths and chemistry they throw in question types you never seen and never prepared for, People with a simply good memory doesn't do well without necessary talent and experience

Hi, I scored very well in A levels, yet I'd be the first person to add, I don't think any form of academic success in the conventional schooling system guarantees any form of real success. (Be that philanthropic, business, wealth or love).

The point about the Nobel Prize (or Fields Medal for that matter) is a good one, my point would be that these Nobel laureates or fields medal winners are geniuses, and would arguably have achieved this level of success regardless of whether they attended a top UK institution or a poor Russian institution.What percentage of Oxbridge graduates actually achieve a Nobel prize? Very few I imagine.

The whole point in a nutshell is, going to a top university will almost certainly guarantee you a 'good' job. What it won't do is make you a leader in your field, it won't make you a millionaire, it won't make you a successful business person, or lover, nor a good philanthropist. The skills which will make you any of the above, as you say cannot be quantified, but they are the skills that make all the difference in life, from the experience I've had with those successful people around me. (Both who've left school at 15, and those who have gone to top Universities). Warren Buffet did a public speaking diploma course when he was young, it is that diploma certificate he has on his wall, not his degree from Columbia.

I'm not knocking people who go to University or who do not, I'm saying that actual proper admirable success in life, is open to anyone, in any vocation they choose. In a western democracy, any one can do it.
Original post by Anonymous
So yeah he got UUU in Maths, Physics and chemistry.He has always been smart.He was planning to do Mechanical engineering at uni.I honestly don't know what to tell him.He told me not to abandon him.

Dump him for someone more intelligent ?
Original post by Plutonian
Let me guess? Smart but lazy?

All the smart people I know who didn't revise at all still got Ds and Es .... 3 Us is what dumb people get when they don't revise
Original post by lachachacha
Dump him for someone more intelligent ?

I'm actually not going to

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending