Physics, mechanics: 065
Physics, electrons, waves and photons :128
Physics, practical skills in physics 1:050

overall
Maths 0268
Further maths 0218
Chemistry A 0244
Physics A 0243

Will the low ums mean I definitely won't get an interview for chemical engineering via natural sciences?

Hello and thanks for your question and the breakdown of your results, that's very helpful.. I am afraid that given that your A grades are all relatively low As then I am afraid that there is a good chance that you wouldn't get an interview for Chemical Engineering unless you have significant extenuating circumstances. I am sorry not to be more encouraging.
Original post by chapmaed
Hi, I did my AS maths in year 11 and was wondering if it would count towards my UMS average over the top three?

Yes, it will count towards your UMS average unless you have retaken any of the modules in Year 12 in which case the higher score from each module is taken.
Original post by 12284
Hello,
Is talking about books read outside the school curriculum more preferred to be talked about in the personal statement than attendance at summer schools to show enthusiasm for the course?
Also, do admission tutors understand that the personal statement is not written specifically for degree courses at Cambridge, because I am finding it hard to make my personal statement relate completely to the Natural Science course at Cambridge and courses at other universities at the same time.
Thanks

You talk about either or both in the PS, the key thing is to say what you learned not simply what you did.

Yes, we are well aware that applicants are often applying for different courses and we expect them to tailor their UCAS Personal Statement to their other applications. There is an additional Personal Statement box in the SAQ for Cambridge that allows you to discuss why you want to do our course.
Original post by gsckmom
If almost 1/2 the field can be in the Z-quintile, do you have any way of sorting this group? For instance, do you group them by their qualifications or—in the case of internationals by country of origin—and rank them within the Z-quintile, or must they all be evaluated case-by-case?

No, there is no way of sorting and ranking this group. Each one is evaluated on a case-by-case basis, as indeed are those in the A-E quintiles.
Original post by MouseyBrown
Thanks very much! Yep, I have visited mature colleges on open days, but I'm clinging onto my youth and going for a 'normal' one.

I know several standard-aged colleges who have had mature students for History. Happy to answer any other questions you have.
Original post by QuantumStuff
Hi there,

Will 3A*s, 5As, 2Bs at GCSE hinder my chances of getting an offer to read Law at Cambridge?

It isn't going to be among the strongest GCSE result of Law applicants but, on its own, it isn't going to stop you getting an offer and there are plenty of students in Cambridge with similar GCSEs to this.
Original post by Yoghurtyoghurt1
Hi, when applying for economics would a low c1 grade (82) but good c2/s1 grades (94/90) effect my chances of an offer or should I retake c1?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, having 82 is less good than having 90 or 100 so, in that sense, you it will affect your application. That doesn't necessarily mean you should retake it though. If you retake it in Year 13 it isn't going to make much difference to your application and will only give you another exam to pull focus away from the modules that will potentially make up part of your offer, i.e. your A2 modules.
Original post by Christ's Admissions
It isn't going to be among the strongest GCSE result of Law applicants but, on its own, it isn't going to stop you getting an offer and there are plenty of students in Cambridge with similar GCSEs to this.

Okay so with my GCSE results, if I got about 94% UMS in my AS exams for Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History. Would this strengthen my application?

What's the average UMS % that successful Law applicants apply with?
Is it common to take STEP mathematics papers in order to get into Cambridge, or is it just for a couple colleges? And what are the usual requirements you have to achieve in these? (For economics this is)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Dear Christ's admissions

Thanks so much for your advice last year which helped my friend so much and he is now about to fulfill his dream and starts at Robinson College in October, reading history on your advice and not economics.

I am now asking for another friend. He has 12 or 14 A stars at GCSE but one of his UMS for A/S is in the 80's he rather fell apart on the drama paper after an emotional upset. I can get exact UMS if that would help. The rest of the AS papers are all A star. He is worrying that this lower grade for the drama and waiting to get advice from his school. What is the best way to tackle something like this? Should he include a something in UCAS statement or supplementary form or speak to admissions tutor for college he wants to attend.

He wants to read english. He is thinking about Queens, Christs and a couple of other places but a bit unsure on things like taking a year out. Queens has a theatre which is part of the appeal but he is studious at home type and not a go out party animal which is how Queens is described on TSR.

Last time you advised speaking to admissions tutor which my Robinson friend did and admissions tutor was wonderful. I have suggested this tentatively but said I would ask.

Thanks for doing this

best P
Btw what is Z quintile ?
The normal offer for Economics is A*AA and I expect it would cover Maths, FM and Economics, probably with the A* in Maths or FM. I know that some colleges are starting to use 2 A* offers for Economics more regularly given the strength of the applicants so don;t be surprised if this happens. If you say on the UCAS form that you are going to do Chemistry then, unless you drop it before the offer arrives, then you have to ask permission from the college to drop it as it means a change in the contract into which you have entered with the college. In this case, they'd usually say yes but you have to be prepared for them to say no.

Thank you!

Do you know what college's give out A*A*A offers? Does Christ's? Do these colleges tend to give out more places per space or is assumed that most people are capable of meeting A*A*A?
Original post by QuantumStuff
Okay so with my GCSE results, if I got about 94% UMS in my AS exams for Maths, Further Maths, Economics and History. Would this strengthen my application?

What's the average UMS % that successful Law applicants apply with?

Yes, that would be a good application and would show significant improvement from GCSE. last year, half way down the list of Law applicants with UMS was 88.6%. At Christ's our successful Lawyers have averaged around 95% UMS but, as always, it's important to stress that this is an average.
Is it common to take STEP mathematics papers in order to get into Cambridge, or is it just for a couple colleges? And what are the usual requirements you have to achieve in these? (For economics this is)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know of any colleges that ask for STEP routinely for Economics.
I don't know of any colleges that ask for STEP routinely for Economics.

I read online that St. Edmund's do and Trinity Hall do in "exceptional circumstances"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by anonymousp
Dear Christ's admissions

Thanks so much for your advice last year which helped my friend so much and he is now about to fulfill his dream and starts at Robinson College in October, reading history on your advice and not economics.

I am now asking for another friend. He has 12 or 14 A stars at GCSE but one of his UMS for A/S is in the 80's he rather fell apart on the drama paper after an emotional upset. I can get exact UMS if that would help. The rest of the AS papers are all A star. He is worrying that this lower grade for the drama and waiting to get advice from his school. What is the best way to tackle something like this? Should he include a something in UCAS statement or supplementary form or speak to admissions tutor for college he wants to attend.

He wants to read english. He is thinking about Queens, Christs and a couple of other places but a bit unsure on things like taking a year out. Queens has a theatre which is part of the appeal but he is studious at home type and not a go out party animal which is how Queens is described on TSR.

Last time you advised speaking to admissions tutor which my Robinson friend did and admissions tutor was wonderful. I have suggested this tentatively but said I would ask.

Thanks for doing this

best P

Dear P

thanks for your message and I'm delighted to have been a help last year and that your friend is starting at Robinson. The Admissions Tutor is great at Robinson, a fellow medieval historian, and the Admissions Tutor at Queens' is also very nice and another historian (part of the Cambridge Historian mafia in Admissions! :smile: ).

Aside from the Drama AS it sounds like your friend has done very well and should be a strong candidate. I do think he need worry too much. Slightly lower UMS than expected can be explained in the school reference or in the SAQ, best not to put it in the UCAS personal statement as it just takes up room.

Taking a year out is fine if he wants to and isn't uncommon for English students.

It's best not to believe too much about what is said about colleges on TSR. The profiles are often quite out of date and usually based on rumour and hearsay. I always say that you never really know a college until you are part of one. Even if there are plenty of party people in a college, it doesn't mean that you have to join in. In the end university and college is what you make of it and you will always find people you like in any college.

Christ's also has a theatre (I should know, I;ve spent most of the last two days in there talking to students and parents!) and is close to the ADC where lots of university drama happens. If he's interested in Christ's I'd be happy to answer more questions.
Original post by Duke Glacia
Btw what is Z quintile ?

Is the the section on the spreadsheet we get for each subject where students who do not have A Levels are listed. it is often pretty large as the stuff I have written about it shows.
I read online that St. Edmund's do and Trinity Hall do in "exceptional circumstances"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, you will need to ask them what they do, I cant answer for them I'm afraid.
@Christ's Admissions What comes under extenuating circumstances?
Original post by BBeyond
Thank you!

Do you know what college's give out A*A*A offers? Does Christ's? Do these colleges tend to give out more places per space or is assumed that most people are capable of meeting A*A*A?

Nearly all economists get two or more A*s, so colleges don't tend to make more offers than they have places.

We have given two A* offers but I can't really speak directly for other colleges, I just know that it isn't uncommon and wouldn't be surprised if, before too long, it becomes the standard offer for Economics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending