The Student Room Group

HELP! Getting into Vet Med with a degree?

Hey guys! I need some help!

So I just got my A level results recently and they are terrible. Like literally terrible.

So I was thinking about taking an animal based course instead if I can. But I was wondering, say if I did Animal Behaviour and Welfare or something like that and after this degree I applied for Vet Med, would that boost me in terms of getting a place? Or not? Or will my grades still be a disadvantage?

Please help! Thank youuuuuu:3
Hey,

It depends what you got in your A level results (Pm me if you want)

You can do an animal science/biovet/biology degree if you like, and it would get you on track to becoming a vet, BUT you would have to get a 2:1 or above in the degree after the three years, and I know Liverpool for example require you to have the following (you will have to check with the other universities)
Bioveterinary science, zoology or animal science degrees; grades CC in biology and chemistry at A level
Science (BSc) degrees, grades BB in biology and chemistry at A level
Arts (BA) degrees, grades AA in Biology and Chemistry at A-level

Other universities may differ when it comes to what A level they require with the degree, but use Liverpool as a guideline.

You'll be classed as a graduate applicant, so you will be viewed differently to A level students, but you will also be up against a lot of other graduate applicants when it comes to applying, so you must have the relevent grades which they ask for, and keep your work experience up to date.

I'm a current graduate vet student, if you have any other questions Pm me and I'm happy to answer them as best as I can
Thank you so much! This is extremely helpful! If I need any more help then I'll definitely PM you! Thank you again!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending