The Student Room Group

HELP! Really messed up my AS exams, any hope for Russell group?

Unfortunately, due to a combination of my own complacency and personal issues i severely underperformed in my AS exams. I got a U in biology, a D in geography, a B in history and I for some reason havent recieved my english literature result yet. I am extremely disappointed. I was hoping to attend a russell group university looking to read either Law or Geography. What are my options? Can i resit next year? Have i any hope of attending a top uni?
Reply 1
Original post by tomhw98
Unfortunately, due to a combination of my own complacency and personal issues i severely underperformed in my AS exams. I got a U in biology, a D in geography, a B in history and I for some reason havent recieved my english literature result yet. I am extremely disappointed. I was hoping to attend a russell group university looking to read either Law or Geography. What are my options? Can i resit next year? Have i any hope of attending a top uni?

You might just have to re-sit the year and then apply this next time year for 2017 entry. I am in the same position after not doing so well
Reply 2
Original post by AyshaU
You might just have to re-sit the year and then apply this next time year for 2017 entry. I am in the same position after not doing so well

I would much rather only re-take geography if possible.
Reply 3
Hated the course. In hindsight i should have dropped it. Im not too sure regarding lit, the grade wasnt on the email i recieved.
Original post by tomhw98

Why haven't you received your Emglish lit result yet? That's not really something to be complacent about, and I would be chasing that if at all possible. Also, if your lit result is an A or a B, suddenly your situation is very different to if you have failed lit as well.

Realistically, doing lots of retakes, or retaking the year, does make you a less competitive candidate, but equally lots of people do come back from poor AS results and get a place at a top 20-30 uni. If you had genuine personal issues, your referee can mention this, which may help your application.

The best people to talk over your options with are probably your teachers- your exact plan for next year will probably partially depend on your school's policies. Ideally, would you like to resit the whole AS year or perhaps carry on with history and English lit, and just do some retakes in geography?
Reply 5
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Why haven't you received your Emglish lit result yet? That's not really something to be complacent about, and I would be chasing that if at all possible. Also, if your lit result is an A or a B, suddenly your situation is very different to if you have failed lit as well.

Realistically, doing lots of retakes, or retaking the year, does make you a less competitive candidate, but equally lots of people do come back from poor AS results and get a place at a top 20-30 uni. If you had genuine personal issues, your referee can mention this, which may help your application.

The best people to talk over your options with are probably your teachers- your exact plan for next year will probably partially depend on your school's policies. Ideally, would you like to resit the whole AS year or perhaps carry on with history and English lit, and just do some retakes in geography?

Yes. I have emailed the school several times regarding lit. That would be my ideal situation - retaking geog.
Original post by tomhw98
Yes. I have emailed the school several times regarding lit. That would be my ideal situation - retaking geog.

Did you not actually collect your grades in person? That really would have been a better option- chances are there is no-one at the school answering emails right now.

Is your transcript being posted to you?

One option might be to go to the school on GCSE results day (Thursday) and see if there is anyone available to help you then.
Reply 7
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Did you not actually collect your grades in person? That really would have been a better option- chances are there is no-one at the school answering emails right now.

Is your transcript being posted to you?

One option might be to go to the school on GCSE results day (Thursday) and see if there is anyone available to help you then.

Unfortunately i am abroad and will be until the 31st.
Reply 8
re-do the entire AS year at a different college/6th form who have different exam boards to your current one... This way when you apply for uni you can leave out the bad grades and no one will be the wiser..

Just get a fresh start..
People suggested to check your paper..
What's the point? I'm pretty sure you didn't put in enough time nor effort into studying or revising...

New start... New promise to study hard
:smile: stick to it and you will go as far as you want

Medic 4th year
Original post by tomhw98
Unfortunately i am abroad and will be until the 31st.

Well, then it is very likely that you will have to wait until September to find out all your grades and sort out your situation.

It really isn't advisable to be away on results day for exactly this reason, but at least this is only your AS year, and not your A2 year.
2 years ago I was in a similar situation having achieved 2 low Bs and a low C, which you could argue wasn't that bad a result. I chose to resit the year at a different sixth form and finished lower sixth take 2 with AAB, so it was worth doing. I'm glad that I didn't chose to retake AS at the same time as A2 because my work load was ridiculously high as it was.
About people saying that you don't have to include your previous results on UCAS... sorry, they're wrong. If your results were cached, as they will be for a state school (that's how they receive their funding) you WILL have to put the previous grades down on your UCAS form, it's on your records, you see.
But no, it doesn't make you a weaker candidate. I received all 5 of my offers, 4 of which were Russell group universities. As long as you put in a good personal statement, your teachers give you good references and you work hard the second time around you will be fine. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending