The Student Room Group

Is AABC at AS good enough for Oxford?

Okay so I'm a bit concerned, I'm hoping to study ppe at Oxford, which is an AAA course, my GCSEs were average at 2A*, 4As and 4Bs, at AS studied biology chemistry physics and maths. I was hoping for at least 3As on results day but I didn't go as planned. I got an A in maths and chemistry but a B in biology and a C in physics. I think I will still be predicted 3As as I am picking up AS and A2 Economics in a year, but I'm not sure if it's good enough to get an offer from Oxford, I was wondering if anybody knows someone who has been/ is in a similar situation to mine and how they sorted it? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Hi there! I've moved this to the Oxbridge forum, hopefully someone here will be able to help you further :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by jchiappe
Okay so I'm a bit concerned, I'm hoping to study ppe at Oxford, which is an AAA course, my GCSEs were average at 2A*, 4As and 4Bs, at AS studied biology chemistry physics and maths. I was hoping for at least 3As on results day but I didn't go as planned. I got an A in maths and chemistry but a B in biology and a C in physics. I think I will still be predicted 3As as I am picking up AS and A2 Economics in a year, but I'm not sure if it's good enough to get an offer from Oxford, I was wondering if anybody knows someone who has been/ is in a similar situation to mine and how they sorted it? Thanks

I do not know an individual who has been in a similar situation (perhaps there is a very good reason for that) but using common sense I can try help you assess your chances. PPE is arguably one of the most competitive courses at Oxford, especially considering the reputation of all the many Prime Ministers who have studied the course there. In short, of course it is possible but the question is how likely it is. Your GCSEs are underwhelming for such a competitive course at such a prestigious university, which also has occurred in your AS results - seeing as the large majority of applicants will have 4 A's minimum for AS, it is a quick filtering point. I imagine there would also be a level of skepticism that you plan to complete AS and A2 economics in a year and as there is no previous evidence of your ability in economics (i.e from studying History) I doubt they would consider you. It is an accumulation of sign posts that indicate that you perhaps are not Oxford standard. However, if your results are by no means reflective of your ability then if you are to excel in admissions tests (and write a good personal statement and have a strong reference) you may at least be invited for an interview where you would really have to make your mark. It's best to remember that all the data is used holistically to decide whether they want to make you an offer, so a set of grades isn't 'the end' but makes the rest of the process more important.

(I am aware this post may be read in a negative / damning tone so I apologise for that!)
Reply 4
Hi thank you for the reply, do you think it would stand me in better stead to take a year out and apply when I have done my A2s (which hopefully go better)? I do believe I have been achieving less than I should have been, and I do hope that my a levels and admissions test shows that, thanks again for your reply and I appreciate your honesty.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by jchiappe
Hi thank you for the reply, do you think it would stand me in better stead to take a year out and apply when I have done my A2s (which hopefully go better)? I do believe I have been achieving less than I should have been, and I do hope that my a levels and admissions test shows that, thanks again for your reply and I appreciate your honesty.

Your best bet is to apply for five different universities (including Oxford) and see how it goes. If you get an offer - great! If you don't, then you should at least get offers from other universities. This is safer as then on A2 results day you an inspect your grades and all your hard efforts and see whether you are in good footing for taking a year out and applying to Oxford, or you can just go to your firm. However, if you do take a year out they will be expecting very high grades and other activities done within the year. You're welcome! Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending