The Student Room Group

£13,000 starting salary at small accounting firm in London - take it or leave it?

I finished university almost 4 months ago with a first class degree in Accounting and Finance.

I have applied to pretty much every accounting firm out there and have got rejected at some point in the recruitment process whether that was at the interview stage or the assessment centre. [Probably have applied to over 100 companies]. I'm a pretty positive person but I have been feeling down thinking about it.

I have got some experience having done some voluntary work at a solicitors office (about 6/7 months) and did do a couple of weeks work experience at an accounting firm but I have never had a paid job.

Now though, I have been offered an ACCA training contract at a small accounting firm in London. But the issue is they are only offering £13,000 which is pretty low having looked around even though my employer did say that it will increase once I get a grasp of the work (he didn't mention by how much but I assume not significantly since it is a small firm).

I have until Monday to decide and wanted to know what others thought.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ItTakes2meNu
I finished university almost 4 months ago with a first class degree in Accounting and Finance.

I have applied to pretty much every accounting firm out there and have got rejected at some point in the recruitment process whether that was at the interview stage or the assessment centre. [Probably have applied to over 100 companies]. I'm a pretty positive person but I have been feeling down thinking about it.

I have got some experience having done some voluntary work at a solicitors office (about 6/7 months) and did do a couple of weeks work experience at an accounting firm but I have never had a paid job.

Now though, I have been offered an ACCA training contract at a small accounting firm in London. But the issue is they are only offering £13,000 which is pretty low having looked around even though my employer did say that it will increase once I get a grasp of the work (he didn't mention by how much but I assume not significantly since it is a small firm).

I have until Monday to decide and wanted to know what others thought.

Would you be living + renting in London? If so it'd be very difficult to live on that salary
Original post by midgemeister7
Would you be living + renting in London? If so it'd be very difficult to live on that salary

I have been offered a room with another person at around £400 (all bills included). That'll leave me roughly £600 per a month to live on, not sure whether that'll be enough.
I would never work for a salary so far below the standard for my profession. Aside from the personal lack of self-respect that I would derive from it, it only encourages people to continue trying to get away with paying qualified professionals insulting wages. You end up contributing to a lowering of the wage floor for everybody in your field.
Reply 4
Too low for London, unless you're prepared to live like a postgrad student in a shared house.
Original post by e aí rapaz
I would never work for a salary so far below the standard for my profession. Aside from the personal lack of self-respect that I would derive from it, it only encourages people to continue trying to get away with paying qualified professionals insulting wages. You end up contributing to a lowering of the wage floor for everybody in your field.

I agree that I would be pretty embarrassed to tell others my salary especially as I've worked so hard to get to where I am today. Saying that, they'll be many people out there who would take up the job if I am to reject it cause it is such a competitive field.
Original post by VannR
Too low for London, unless you're prepared to live like a postgrad student in a shared house.

If I were to take it then I don't think I'd have a choice but to live in a shared house.
Reply 7
wouldnt take it. Keep applying and see if you can get feedback from where you got rejected. you should be able to get at least £20k imo.
Reply 8
That wage is ridiculous especially with a degree... My bf earns more than than and he went straight into work (estate agent) and didn't even go to uni.
Don't settle for something worse than what you deserve with your qualifications. Lack of real work experience doesn't mean you should be earning half of what a graduate like yourself should be getting
Personally i'd take it. Yes the salary might be a bit low and you might struggle towards the end of the month but think of it this way. Stick it out for 6 months to a year (and each month put some money aside into a savings account.) That way at the end of the year you have some savings to look for a new place and a years worth of experience under your belt. Whilst your working there you can be looking for new places to work and gaining experience at the same time.

Everyone has to start somewhere.
I agree that I would be pretty embarrassed to tell others my salary especially as I've worked so hard to get to where I am today. Saying that, they'll be many people out there who would take up the job if I am to reject it cause it is such a competitive field.

Well, that's probably true, but I'm still a believer in taking the high-ground rather than doing something you shouldn't simply because of the fact that if you don't, somebody else will.

I've got to be honest, I'm amazed that you could have a first class degree and still fail in over 100 applications. I don't mean this in an offensive way but maybe your focus should be on what you're doing wrong in your interviews/application processes? I'm not saying it's not a competitive field, I'm sure it is, but on paper (as a graduate with a 1st) you should already be ahead of a lot of other accounting/finance/economics graduates, so there must be something else.
Original post by Jackieox
Personally i'd take it. Yes the salary might be a bit low and you might struggle towards the end of the month but think of it this way. Stick it out for 6 months to a year (and each month put some money aside into a savings account.) That way at the end of the year you have some savings to look for a new place and a years worth of experience under your belt. Whilst your working there you can be looking for new places to work and gaining experience at the same time.

If you have a magical way of being able to save a reasonable amount of money living on 13k in London, do let me know
Original post by e aí rapaz
Well, that's probably true, but I'm still a believer in taking the high-ground rather than doing something you shouldn't simply because of the fact that if you don't, somebody else will.

I've got to be honest, I'm amazed that you could have a first class degree and still fail in over 100 applications. I don't mean this in an offensive way but maybe your focus should be on what you're doing wrong in your interviews/application processes? I'm not saying it's not a competitive field, I'm sure it is, but on paper (as a graduate with a 1st) you should already be ahead of a lot of other accounting/finance/economics graduates, so there must be something else.

I suffer from social anxiety so when I get to the interview stage I get too nervous and forget everything I've planned to say. Sometimes I even struggle to get the words out. I have been getting help for the past year or so and although it has improved I've still got a long way to go. Also, the rejections haven't really helped with my confidence either. Not sure what else I could do really.
I'd take it. Think of it as a first step on the ladder and a chance to get some paid experience, even if the salary is rubbish. In six months to a year, if it doesn't work out, you'll be in a better place to apply for a better job.
Original post by Jackieox

That's what my mum has been saying especially cause all the rejections have got me a bit dejected. The only issue would be if I start the accounting qualification I wouldn't want to leave it half way through.
That is a ridiculous salary for someone of your calibre. Are they having a laugh? There is no way you should be on such a pittance. Employers will continue to exploit unless we all take a stand. How many hours a week are they expecting you to work? Then work out your hourly rate . They will expect a lot of unpaid work which will push your hourly rate down even more.

Don't forget that travelling in London is also extremely expensive so you need to factor that in plus food, clothes etc. I personally feel you will be even more demoralised . Your decision in the end. Good luck. Let us know what you decide.
I would say take it, purely on the basis that another opportunity may not come around for a while yet. Experience trumps all in the world of employment. I would take it on for a year/year and a half and then try to move on. Live cost efficiently and you should be able to manage
People also seem to be forgetting that a lot of the time you can't just leave a training contract - you often have to buy your way out which could be pricey.
Reply 18
I have been offered a room with another person at around £400 (all bills included). That'll leave me roughly £600 per a month to live on, not sure whether that'll be enough.

I would take it for sure, 600 might not be much but you have to start somewhere...
Plus 600 is still better than 0.
That low is just insulting. Don't take it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending