The Student Room Group

Is "You alright" a plebby / commoner greeting?

Somehow "You alright" or even "Yrite Mate" has become one of the most used greetings in England. It doesn't really sound very classy, so I was wondering if it is more lower class / pleb people who use this, as opposed to the more classy people who would instead greet people with "How are you?"
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I go to uni so mainly surrounded by middle class people and everyone says 'you alright' but I hate it. Are u even supposed to answer that :colonhash:

but yeah definitely not a 'plebs' thing
Reply 2
Original post by driftawaay
I go to uni so mainly surrounded by middle class people and everyone says 'you alright' but I hate it. Are u even supposed to answer that :colonhash:

but yeah definitely not a 'plebs' thing

Yeah I can't stand it either... Where did it even come from?! Aren't you only meant to say "Are you alright?" to someone if they are hurt or something lol?!
Reply 3
Original post by loya61
Somehow "You alright" or even "Yrite Mate" has become one of the most used greetings in England. It doesn't really sound very classy, so I was wondering if it is more lower class / pleb people who use this, as opposed to the more classy people who would instead greet people with "How are you?"

Oh no get a life. What the f is a 'pleb person'...that's so childish. Grow up.
Throws me off as well. I disapprove such condescending greetings.
No, it's not. It is just a way to get all the greeting/small talk crap out of the way quickly.

But it does confuse the hell out of Americans. Lost count of the number of times I said "alright" at one, for them to respond with "I am very well thank you, how are you today?". That requires me to to grunt "alright" again, quite a chore for a misanthrope like myself.
Reply 6
Original post by ldsbabe
Oh no get a life. What the f is a 'pleb person'...that's so childish. Grow up.

pleb

an ordinary person, especially one from the lower social classes.

Original post by loya61
Yeah I can't stand it either... Where did it even come from?! Aren't you only meant to say "Are you alright?" to someone if they are hurt or something lol?!

I know!! It makes no sense. And I never know what to say. Are u supposed to say yes im alright or ask them if theyre alright as well? WTF Why not the good old fashioned 'hi'? :colonhash:
Person 1: yaalright? (said in one word)
Person 2: yeah, yaalright?
Person 1: yeah

It isn't really hard.
Reply 9
Original post by loya61
pleb

an ordinary person, especially one from the lower social classes.

I obviously know the meaning, I just didn't think anyone besides morons used it in 2015.
Original post by driftawaay
I know!! It makes no sense. And I never know what to say. Are u supposed to say yes im alright or ask them if theyre alright as well? WTF Why not the good old fashioned 'hi'? :colonhash:

so pretentious. are you from a cave? it's only polite to say, "all right?" back. If anything they're being nice and asking if, yes, you are ok. It's similar to, "what's up?" or "what's going on?" Only a prick would be offended. Didn't know you had to be classy whilst asking someone how their day is going.
Original post by rolodopus
Person 1: yaalright? (said in one word)
Person 2: yeah, yaalright?
Person 1: yeah

It isn't really hard.

exactly! :nah:
Reply 12
Original post by Quantex
No, it's not. It is just a way to get all the greeting/small talk crap out of the way quickly.

But it does confuse the hell out of Americans. Lost count of the number of times I said "alright" at one, for them to respond with "I am very well thank you, how are you today?". That requires me to to grunt "alright" again, quite a chore for a misanthrope like myself.

Well those Americans know how to talk properly!
Reply 13
Why does it matter?
Reply 14
normal people say it
Reply 15
Original post by Man.bear.pig
so pretentious. are you from a cave? it's only polite to say, "all right?" back. If anything they're being nice and asking if, yes, you are ok. It's similar to, "what's up?" or "what's going on?" Only a prick would be offended. Didn't know you had to be classy whilst asking someone how their day is going.

But why can't they say what people from every other country says: "Hello / Hey / Hi" or "How are you". It just sounds really bad and a lower class thing to say.
Its not a new thing. It was a standard greeting back in the 90s and beyond.
Original post by loya61
But why can't they say what people from every other country says: "Hello / Hey / Hi" or "How are you". It just sounds really bad and a lower class thing to say.

Do you know slang in every other language/country? Almost every other culture and language I have encountered has an alternative greeting to 'hello'.
Original post by loya61

lower class? if you wanna speak to random people like you're at a Polo event with the ol' nobles (we all know you won't ever be :colonhash:) then be my bloody guest.

lol till then goodbye.

Original post by Foo.mp3
Tis indeed. I tend to say something like 'Hey', or 'Hello there' (if I'm feeling formal), myself :top2:

Original post by sdotd
normal people say it

guess Foo's not normal.
I think even Judi Dench says it :rofl:. Get over yourselves.

Quick Reply

Latest