The Student Room Group

Do I have medical talent?

I seem to be my own best doctor but unfortunately I've never had any interest in being a doctor partly because I am squeamish about blood and it seems very stressful.

I had back pain, noticed that aspirin helped but paracetamol didn't, deduced that it must be an inflammation, tried a combined therapy of aspirin and cold water sprays, back pain gone.

Doctor gave me propanolol for anxiety, recognized it as a beta blocker - a medicine that affects the heart, declined to take it because I have a really low heart rate. Another doctor later agreed with me.

More recently my sleep pattern has been really bad but when I stayed up all night and went to bed at 9pm I woke up at 12 am and couldn't sleep again till 6am where I then slept till 4pm no matter how many alarms I set. I was mystified until I thought about what I was doing differently last time this happened and the answer was taking caffeine pills. Seems that taking them to stay up made me unable to sleep deeply when the time came. I decided to use this to my advantage, taking them at 5am just before sleep and for the first time in months I've managed to wake up at 12 pm. Compare this with my doctor who gave me sleeping pills that not only didn't work but gave me nightmares.

In the unlikely event I did apply to be a doctor should I mention this stuff or is it irrelevant?

Scroll to see replies

Whatever you do don't mention anything about this. Trying to articulate that you, without any training, are doing a better job than fully qualified doctors will not be looked upon favorably by those reading your personal statement; regardless of whether you're right or not.

Medicine is incredibly broad and complex. Sadly knowing caffeine pills are going to disrupt your sleep pattern and that aspirin can help some mechanical back pain does not a doctor make.

Entrance panels want evidence of commitment to medicine, empathy, leadership, team working, evidence you are a well rounded individual and that you have a clear desire to help people. Those qualities are high on their agenda, not self diagnosis and contempt for the current establishment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Sinatrafan
Whatever you do don't mention anything about this. Trying to articulate that you, without any training, are doing a better job than fully qualified doctors will not be looked upon favorably by those reading your personal statement; regardless of whether you're right or not.

Medicine is incredibly broad and complex. Sadly knowing caffeine pills are going to disrupt your sleep pattern and that aspirin can help some mechanical back pain does not a doctor make.

Entrance panels want evidence of commitment to medicine, empathy, leadership, team working, evidence you are a well rounded individual and that you have a clear desire to help people. Those qualities are high on their agenda, not self diagnosis and contempt for the current establishment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh wow sounds like yet another dogmatic academic club so i guess it isnt for me. Disagreeing with my doctor is "showing contempt for the establishment" even though i happened to be correct. We all know gps can be uncaring and sometimes unhelpful, what i did was basic but at least i was being proactive. I really resent being good at stem, its full of rigid pecking orders. You present your own ideas and you are accused of insulting the work of others even if youre right. Your post has made my mind up, im not getting involved in stem ever again, literally the exact same attitide when i did chemistry. Creativity frowned upon, book regurgitating smiled at.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Plutonian
oh wow sounds like yet another dogmatic academic club so i guess it isnt for me. Disagreeing with my doctor is "showing contempt for the establishment" even though i happened to be correct. We all know gps can be uncaring and sometimes unhelpful, what i did was basic but at least i was being proactive. I really resent being good at stem, its full of rigid pecking orders. You present your own ideas and you are accused of insulting the work of others even if youre right. Your post has made my mind up, im not getting involved in stem ever again, literally the exact same attitide when i did chemistry. Creativity frowned upon, book regurgitating smiled at.

This reply alone proves that you should never become a doctor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Moonstruck16
This reply alone proves that you should never become a doctor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

dont worry i wont. Im basically being told to shut up and worship the word of my gp even though another doctor agreed with me that him giving a patient with brachycardia beta blockers was a bad move.
Yes, being overworked and seeing suffering over many years of a professional career can make people uncaring, that's why the application process makes sure it selects the most caring people, perhaps then they will have a chance of maintaining some of that over the course of a stressful professional career. Imagine what monsters would be created by a career in medicine if those who weren't 100% in it for the right reason were selected at the very beginning.

There is no room for mavericks in medicine and hierarchy (i.e. the establishment) and team decisions in everything lead to safety. Someone who believes they are better than those senior and has little respect for the hierarchy will kill people make no mistakes about it.

Book learning is exactly what you need. There is no room for creativity or experimentation in frontline medicine, it is reckless and leads to people dying. You learn your ****, apply it in a safe way and then you may save some lives. You don't make it up on the spot in line with your creative whims and then use patients as guinea pigs.

Taking a pain killer for back pain doesn't prove you have any talent. Giving sleeping tablets when someone can't sleep is sensible practice not professional negligence, and propranolol is a perfectly good first line medication for anxiety unless your pulse and blood pressure are rock bottom.

So if you want creativity go and study an arts degree because you won't find it in medicine. If you have such little faith in doctors and are so self talented then carry on self healing and allow them more time to help people who can actually benefit from their book learning.
(edited 8 years ago)
Your so called knowledge will not make you a good doctor. Sorry to sound harsh. Medicine is a hell of a lot more than deducing caffeine pills might keep you awake or beta blockers will affect your heart rate! If you wanted to do medicine, don't mention any of this. They will think you have a crazy unrealistic idea of medicine and it won't go down well
Reply 7
dont worry i wont. Im basically being told to shut up and worship the word of my gp even though another doctor agreed with me that him giving a patient with brachycardia beta blockers was a bad move.

There are other doctors other than GPs.
Reply 8
Original post by Sinatrafan
Yes, being overworked and seeing suffering over many years of a professional career can make people uncaring, that's why the application process makes sure it selects the most caring people, perhaps then they will have a chance of maintaining some of that over the course of a stressful professional career. Imagine what monsters would be created by a career in medicine if those who weren't 100% in it for the right reason were selected at the very beginning.

There is no room for mavericks in medicine and hierarchy (i.e. the establishment) and team decisions in everything lead to safety. Someone who believes they are better than those senior and has little respect for the hierarchy will kill people make no mistakes about it.

Book learning is exactly what you need. There is no room for creativity or experimentation on frontline medicine, it is reckless and leads to people dying. You learn your ****, apply it in a safe way and then you may save some lives. You don't make it up on the spot and use patients as guinea pigs.

Taking a pain killer for back pain doesn't prove you have any talent. Giving sleeping tablets when someone can't sleep is sensible practice not professional negligence, and propranolol is a perfectly good first line medication for anxiety unless your pulse and blood pressure are rock bottom.

So if you want creativity go and study an arts degree because you won't find it in medicine. If you have such little faith in doctors and are so self talented then carry on self healing and allow them more time to help people who can actually benefit from their book learning.

The issue here is that you and apparently the establishment seems to think that one anecdote of going against what your doctor said is "being a maverick who believes all doctors are retarded" See the strawman here? Instead of rewarding a pro active junior for pointing out one of a doctor's rare mistakes you admonish them for going against authority. This is not a good culture.

Original post by Physflop
Your so called knowledge will not make you a good doctor. Sorry to sound harsh. Medicine is a hell of a lot more than deducing caffeine pills might keep you awake or beta blockers will affect your heart rate! If you wanted to do medicine, don't mention any of this. They will think you have a crazy unrealistic idea of medicine and it won't go down well

It's not about the depth of my knowledge which your right isn't very deep it was just to show that I could apply scientific principles to treating people just like when applying for engineering or something you talk about that time you made a swing with your dad in your personal statement. but apparently not that's not cool to put on your application at all so ok I won't but I'm allowed to voice my opinion that I don't agree with it.
The issue here is that you and apparently the establishment seems to think that one anecdote of going against what your doctor said is "being a maverick who believes all doctors are retarded" See the strawman here? Instead of rewarding a pro active junior for pointing out one of a doctor's rare mistakes you admonish them for going against authority. This is not a good culture.

It's not about the depth of my knowledge which your right isn't very deep it was just to show that I could apply scientific principles to treating people just like when applying for engineering or something you talk about that time you made a swing with your dad in your personal statement. but apparently not that's not cool to put on your application at all so ok I won't but I'm allowed to voice my opinion that I don't agree with it.

Lol have you ever written a personal statement because you definitely don't write things like that on them.... You need to have empathy, knowledge of the role of a doctor not just a GP, know the NHS values, be used to working in a stressful environment, lead a team, work as a team member, communicate well and with feeling. It's not all about diagnosing like a robot
Reply 10
Original post by Physflop
Lol have you ever written a personal statement because you definitely don't write things like that on them.... You need to have empathy, knowledge of the role of a doctor not just a GP, know the NHS values, be used to working in a stressful environment, lead a team, work as a team member, communicate well and with feeling. It's not all about diagnosing like a robot

I guess I was misinformed, that's what my school told me to do and it did work three times, maybe I just got lucky. Anyway thanks for your response but I have been put off medicine for good. I agree I need to do something more creative. Currently doing engineering so far it's good, no dogma or pecking order but that probably because I'm self employed catering to the hobby market. I worry that if my business folds and I decided to do a degree in engineering to get a real job is it going to be a repeat of my experiences in pure chemistry?
Meh I tend to avoid doctors if I can, Nothing wrong with self medicating provided you dont **** up and get yourself hooked on anything! xD

Although being intelligent enough to self medicate properly does not make you a medical professional, When dealing with the public there is a LOT more too it. Try volunteering as a basic first aider (Red Cross / RNLI etc have hubs across the UK) and get a taste of dealing with the public. If you are applying to med school doing something like this will also look pretty fantastic on your personal statement.
1.) Those self-diagnoses are not particularly impressive. Who would've thought disturbed sleep could be linked to caffeine pills? I've diagnosed a couple patients on House MD and Casualty...

2.) Doctors are likely going to encounter difficult patients at some point in their career who think they know better than a medical professional (sound familiar?). You're going to need some tact in order to deal with said patients, right? Going to a medical interview and listing all the times you outsmarted your GP is going to give the impression, whether it's true or not, that you're incredibly arrogant and thus are completely lacking the tact and humility required to deal with difficult patients. That's why you'd be rejected. Not because it's a "dogmatic academic club".

Sorry, I'm being rather rude, but then given the overly-defensive manner in which you've reacted to people who have posted trying to help you, you've not given me much incentive to be considerate.
Dw OP I support you!

I had back pain, noticed that aspirin helped

Haha what is this thread even?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
Original post by Rhetorical Hips
1.) Those self-diagnoses are not particularly impressive. Who would've thought disturbed sleep could be linked to caffeine pills? I've diagnosed a couple patients on House MD and Casualty...

2.) Doctors are likely going to encounter difficult patients at some point in their career who think they know better than a medical professional (sound familiar?). You're going to need some tact in order to deal with said patients, right? Going to a medical interview and listing all the times you outsmarted your GP is going to give the impression, whether it's true or not, that you're incredibly arrogant and thus are completely lacking the tact and humility required to deal with difficult patients. That's why you'd be rejected. Not because it's a "dogmatic academic club".

Sorry, I'm being rather rude, but then given the overly-defensive manner in which you've reacted to people who have posted trying to help you, you've not given me much incentive to be considerate.

i still dont understand why im bein painted as the villain. I pointed out one mistake my doctor made. One. The other times was simply a case of finding it hard to get appointments. Im still going to see my doctor about my sleep, i just came up wih an interim solution in the meantime. That he gave me sleeping pills that disagree with me wasnt his fault of course it takes a few tries to get it right. If anything I am working with my doctor. And with the beta blockers i didnt even go it alone I clearly said I was backed up by another doctors second opinion. What im complaining about now is that if you say one thing about working out something yourself without training youre instantly labelled as "arrogant" and having "contempt for the establishment" even thouh you paradoxically point out that what i "worked out" wasnt even anything complex. Seems to me that the stablishment is the one being overly defensive. They dont like to see untrained people doing things their own way so they throw out insults such as "maverick" "arrogant" and "quack". fair enough but i was improvising mainly because it was hard to get an appointment. Ant the one time my doctor was wrong why am i arrogant for pointing it out? Anti whistleblowing culture?
OP, you have no idea what you're talking about. You speak as though spotting inflammation is difficult, or that it takes a genius to deduce the fact that caffeine pills keep you awake. If you actually had a vague idea what you were talking about you'd realise that your REM cycles were taking precedence, causing you to have nightmares while blocking delta waves and preventing you from getting any deep sleep. Do not tell a doctor that you know what you're talking about when you've merely made some observations which any moron could.
I seem to be my own best doctor but unfortunately I've never had any interest in being a doctor partly because I am squeamish about blood and it seems very stressful.

I had back pain, noticed that aspirin helped but paracetamol didn't, deduced that it must be an inflammation, tried a combined therapy of aspirin and cold water sprays, back pain gone.

Doctor gave me propanolol for anxiety, recognized it as a beta blocker - a medicine that affects the heart, declined to take it because I have a really low heart rate. Another doctor later agreed with me.

More recently my sleep pattern has been really bad but when I stayed up all night and went to bed at 9pm I woke up at 12 am and couldn't sleep again till 6am where I then slept till 4pm no matter how many alarms I set. I was mystified until I thought about what I was doing differently last time this happened and the answer was taking caffeine pills. Seems that taking them to stay up made me unable to sleep deeply when the time came. I decided to use this to my advantage, taking them at 5am just before sleep and for the first time in months I've managed to wake up at 12 pm. Compare this with my doctor who gave me sleeping pills that not only didn't work but gave me nightmares.

In the unlikely event I did apply to be a doctor should I mention this stuff or is it irrelevant?

If you've never had any interest in being a doctor but suddenly think you'd make a great doctor because you can correct your own sleeping pattern I would recommend you don't become a doctor. We also can't say that you have any medical talent based on what you've told us.

You shouldn't mention any of these if you happen to apply for medicine, simple.

And if you are going to get very defensive every time someone disagrees with you, you might not want to be a doctor.

Good luck.
Reply 19

He isn't saying that presenting your own ideas or doing what you did (ie rejecting beta blockers) is showing contempt for the establishment, but your way of writing in a way which suggests that you are better than medical doctors who have been studying for years is showing contempt for doctors - ie, I haven't done any training and I am better than them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending