The Student Room Group

AS to A2 grade increase success?

I have recently received ABCC (only a couple of marks off Bs) which didn't live up to my set targets of AABB!
The thing is, I really did try in my AS I revised so much, I managed to get my mock grades AUCU to ABCC (in that order) so I obviously tried really hard.
I've seen so many people say they didn't try at AS but then knuckled down at A2 and did much better. But, is there anyone out there who did try in AS but still managed to do better at A2?
I'm carrying forward ABC and hoping to get A*BB overall
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by bethygirl
I have recently received ABCC (only a couple of marks off Bs) which didn't live up to my set targets of AABB!
The thing is, I really did try in my AS I revised so much, I managed to get my mock grades AUCU to ABCC (in that order) so I obviously tried really hard.
I've seen so many people say they didn't try at AS but then knuckled down at A2 and did much better. But, is there anyone out there who did try in AS but still managed to do better at A2?
I'm carrying forward ABC and hoping to get A*BB overall

Would you not consider resitting a exam/exams for your C grade to get it up to a B grade? Your grades are good btw :smile:
If it's any comfort to you, I got ABCC in my AS' (Spanish / English lit / geography / economics) last year and came out with AAA in my A2s :smile:
I know this girl who got a C at her AS Biology but came out with an A* at A2 :smile:
Any grade increase it possible. You can certaintly reach your targets
Reply 5
In A2 even if you work harder youll get the same because exams get harder too.

This happned to me, but in a rrtake year i knew half the stuff from before and had more time to iron out the A grade stuff. Work so much harder that come exam time youve done every aingle thing thorpughly, ie finish early.
Reply 6
I know this geezer who got a D in AS maths but an A* at A2
I got a b in as history, with a low c (63 ums) in a module. I resat the module, scoring 93 ums and got 100% in both a2 modules, getting an A* overall! Anything is possible :-)
Reply 8
Original post by Emsta
Would you not consider resitting a exam/exams for your C grade to get it up to a B grade? Your grades are good btw :smile:

Yeah I am, I'm resitting all maths units because in each paper I didn't get a true representation of what I knew because all together I dropped over 20 marks due to not reading the question properly eg in stats I lost 14 marks simply because I thought a question said 17 chocolates instead of 20!! if I didn't make stupid mistakes I'd have got an A overall. In fact I'm spending £175 on resits (our college charge a bomb)
Reply 9
Original post by Fawkesgirl33
I got a b in as history, with a low c (63 ums) in a module. I resat the module, scoring 93 ums and got 100% in both a2 modules, getting an A* overall! Anything is possible :-)

are you in the same position as me where you really tried for your AS or did you knuckle down at A2? That's amazing, I hope I can get my B in bio up to an A* hahah!!
Reply 10
Original post by nmjasdk
In A2 even if you work harder youll get the same because exams get harder too.

This happned to me, but in a rrtake year i knew half the stuff from before and had more time to iron out the A grade stuff. Work so much harder that come exam time youve done every aingle thing thorpughly, ie finish early.

What did you get at AS and A2? I don't think I could possibly do more hours of revision but I'm changing my tactics this year where I'm going to try and work consistently through the year... I know it's easier said than done
Reply 11
Original post by p.formanko
If it's any comfort to you, I got ABCC in my AS' (Spanish / English lit / geography / economics) last year and came out with AAA in my A2s :smile:

Are you in the same position as me where you really tried at AS or did you knuckle down at A2? I just don't see how I could work harder. Also did you do resits??
That's such a good achievement!! Congrats to you :smile:
Are you in the same position as me where you really tried at AS or did you knuckle down at A2? I just don't see how I could work harder. Also did you do resits??
That's such a good achievement!! Congrats to you :smile:

Thank you :smile: I think it was a bit of both. I got a good set of GCSE grades so I guess I got lazy for AS exams - that and the fact that I chose rather difficult subjects - I chose English because I was good at it rather than the fact that I liked it which was a mistake. So getting ABCC was a massive kick in the guts so I guess I did knuckle down :smile: and yep I re-took every AS exam besides econ, which I dropped, so this year in AS I got AAA
Reply 13
Original post by p.formanko
Thank you :smile: I think it was a bit of both. I got a good set of GCSE grades so I guess I got lazy for AS exams - that and the fact that I chose rather difficult subjects - I chose English because I was good at it rather than the fact that I liked it which was a mistake. So getting ABCC was a massive kick in the guts so I guess I did knuckle down :smile: and yep I re-took every AS exam besides econ, which I dropped, so this year in AS I got AAA

I guess I was lazy at first, I didn't really revise until I got my mocks so could have done more but won't make that mistake this year. I chose difficult subjects too, psychology maths biology and chemistry, big regret:frown:. Very well done on AAA, you must have worked so hard
I guess I was lazy at first, I didn't really revise until I got my mocks so could have done more but won't make that mistake this year. I chose difficult subjects too, psychology maths biology and chemistry, big regret:frown:. Very well done on AAA, you must have worked so hard

Well at least you've identified that you've made an error and are trying to fix it - that's the first step :smile: it's clear that you've got the will, you should do fine! Good luck!
Reply 15
Yeah I am, I'm resitting all maths units because in each paper I didn't get a true representation of what I knew because all together I dropped over 20 marks due to not reading the question properly eg in stats I lost 14 marks simply because I thought a question said 17 chocolates instead of 20!! if I didn't make stupid mistakes I'd have got an A overall. In fact I'm spending £175 on resits (our college charge a bomb)

Blimey! If you are that dedicated I believe you will get the grade you want, and exactly you know where you went wrong, so you will do great in your resits :smile: Good luck :biggrin: !
are you in the same position as me where you really tried for your AS or did you knuckle down at A2? That's amazing, I hope I can get my B in bio up to an A* hahah!!

I did try hard at AS, I think it was more an off exam day which let me down perhaps. Sometimes, although A2 is a step up, it's easier because you've adjusted to the 'A level way of thinking' and are used to exams a bit more. Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great!

Quick Reply

Latest