The Student Room Group

Succeeding in public relations: PGDip needed?

Hi i was wondering what people's opinions were on this, if i were to get a Bachelors degree and wanted to get into PR and hopefully do quite well but do you need a Post Graduate diploma in public and media relations?
For example, Cardiff have one and i know it is very respected, but for the price tag is it worth it in the long run?

This is the same for Cardiff's journalism diploma is it worth it to get this or does it matter if you just do a regualr and by far cheaper qualification?
Reply 1
re: journalism. You don't HAVE to do a PGdip but a fair few people do. Most give u an NCTJ or BJTC qualification and many such as Cardiff, City, Central Lancashire are very respected in the industry. There are various fast-track courses too though, many get u a formal NCTJ qualification as well, so the PGdip isn't the be all and end all. I would go for a good one of those though... nine months will give you some time to get used to working with all the equipment etc if u do broadcast... and you'll build up reporting/shorthand/law skills and get yourself some useful contacts. Plus there's the work placements which are included in these courses.

Latest

Trending

Trending