The Student Room Group

I want to make a personal statement regarding Computer Science, but...

..after analyzing tons of personal statements involving that one subject, they all had something in common. They've been doing this since a very young age.

Here's my problem. I haven't. If anything, I've always been interested in Computer Science since a young age; just never had the mental fortitude to go through with it thus resulting in time wasted. I see how they made past softwares using different coding languages, which they can show off at interviews and etc. That highly makes anxious.

So, the short of it is

I have to start applying for universities very soon and the only beneficial part I can mention is that I have a basic understanding of coding languages such as Python, VB.NET, Actionscript etc, but I don't have anything to show.

Should I be worried?
Write about that then! Not everyone has early exposure to what they end up doing. You can expand on your current interests and the sort of things you will be interested in learning and advancing upon, and what you hope to apply them to once you graduate or during your degree. If you have any previous school work or personal projects you'd worked on, then great, but not everyone has! :smile:

You have nothing to worry about. The industry is living and breathing new tech every day. Show how you want to be in the thick of that!
Reply 2
Nope, just explain what you love about the subject in a way that's unique to you. If anything, you'll have an advantage: everyone else falls prey to the cliche of "it's always been my dream" or "I've loved this for as long as I remember", whereas your application will stand out as more genuine (as long as you can back it up!)
Original post by Yendis
..after analyzing tons of personal statements involving that one subject, they all had something in common. They've been doing this since a very young age.

Here's my problem. I haven't. If anything, I've always been interested in Computer Science since a young age; just never had the mental fortitude to go through with it thus resulting in time wasted. I see how they made past softwares using different coding languages, which they can show off at interviews and etc. That highly makes anxious.

So, the short of it is

I have to start applying for universities very soon and the only beneficial part I can mention is that I have a basic understanding of coding languages such as Python, VB.NET, Actionscript etc, but I don't have anything to show.

Should I be worried?

Just lie, seriously. No uni is going to hire a PI to check your PS is statement.
We read lots of statements that start 'Ever since I was five-years-old I have been interested in computing'. We do want to see passion for the subject, but be original. Try to tell us why you are passionate about computing and how you can demonstrate this. Make sure you understand the aims and approach of the degree programmes you are applying for and make sure your application demonstrates that. So if you are applying for one of our creative pathways like Creative Computing or Music Computing, let us know what kind of relationship you are interested in pursuing between computing and your artistic practice. Robert Zimmer | Head Of Computing - Goldsmiths University Of London
Found this on google
I want to know that you know what computer science is actually about. At Oxford it's a mathematical subject, so show a bit of mathematical interest too. It's not so much the knowledge you get from maths that matters, but the skills you've developed through it and the ability to think logically and mathematically. I would also be interested to hear about any reading around the subject or any programming you've done. Even if it's just a simple programme, talk about it and show your enthusiasm. But remember that we will probably then delve into it at interview. Professor Gavin Lowe | Admissions Co-ordinator For Computer Science - University Of Oxford
Also found this on google
Original post by Yendis

So, the short of it is

Should I be worried?

Then don't write you've liked it since a young age, and just honestly write down your passion for the subject and why it interests you, ask yourself why you're choosing Computer Science then write that answer down.

Writing 'I've loved it since a young age' or I've done this or that since a young age gives no advantage. It's about what you've done not when you've done it. But more importantly they want passion. A clear interest eagerly wanting to study the subject to an extent is better than loads of experience but no actual interest. If you have basic knowledge of VB etc. you should still portray it and show to them you have it too, though. Show your interest, and what current knowledge you have even if limited.

This is kind of where Computing A-Level becomes an advantage, you can brag about the pieces of software you did for coursework. If you did do Computing, mention what you've learnt and what basic programs you've made during the course. Otherwise, spend time making some basic programs during the short remainder left of this summer then write about that in your PS.
We strongly suggest you don't write about anything hat happened more than 2 years ago anyway because it's not academic. The young age story is clichéd so we suggest you don't use it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending