The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

Scroll to see replies

other than the fact that a scottish degree is 4 years....

catherine- i've not heard anything about not having to pay fees in 4th year, i was under the impession i paid for all 4 years, like i'd pay for 3 years in england. would be really cool if it is free in 4th year though! as you're in the old system will you get your 4th year free then?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 21
Out of curiosity, why is it that EU residents outside the UK do not have to pay tuition fees at Scottish unis, while English, Welsh and Irish residents do?

Is the required period of residency three years for EU students too?
As the Scottish government has a policy with the other EU member states that Scottish students can go and study in another EU country for free, its a two way thing. If a Greek student wants to come to do a full 4 year degree in Scotland they can, so a Scottish student could go to Greece for a full degree too. Whereas in the rest of the UK students with English, Welsh or Northen Irish nationality have to pay fees to study both in our own country and also in the EU, in the same way that EU students have to pay to study in the rest of the UK.

You have to be a resident of Scotland for 3 years, or have nationality in an EU (non UK) state to be eligiable. I don't think you have to have been a perminant resident in the EU state for 3 years, as one of my friends has dual German-Ecuadorian nationality, spent most of the last few years in Ecuador and gets his education free. I don't know the full details though (I'm English and pay for my education...) so you should check the SAAS website.
It was a government decision. Education (including universities) is a devolved issue, therefore the Higher Education Act did not apply to Scotland. There was a fear that this would result in a massive influx of English students to avoid tuition fees, so the Scottish Parliament closed the loophole.

I'm not entirely sure why EU students don't pay but I'd imagine it's to do with EU Regulations. Parliamentary sovereignty means that the UK can legislate within itself as it chooses, but there are EU rules with regard to other member states. However, since there is no external discrimination, and only internal discrimination, it's seen as alright.

And yes, if you can't tell, I disagree entirely with tuition fees.
Reply 24
Ah right, thank you both. I had never heard about this differentiation in fee-status before.

I suppose I'll have to contact SAAS to work out where I stand - I have dual Danish and British nationality (was born in England, lived there ten years, then moved to Denmark and have since lived here for seven).

As for tuition fees in principal, I'm not a big fan either. I have friends in the process of applying for higher education in the States - the fees there are absolutely phenomenal. Then again, I hear that non-EU international students applying to the UK are not much better off.
Osmosis, I'm almost certain you'll be classed as a Danish student and thus have your fees paid accordingly.
Yeah, from other examples like that I'm sure you'd be classed as Danish rather than British.
Reply 27
Osmosis

As for tuition fees in principal, I'm not a big fan either. I have friends in the process of applying for higher education in the States - the fees there are absolutely phenomenal. Then again, I hear that non-EU international students applying to the UK are not much better off.

Well, the fees here are £9450 for international students from outside the EU. Even at the current, hellish exchange rate that's $19000 tuition, which is less than comparable American private universities (or out of state at an American public university) which can run toward $30000 tuition. Room and board may run you somewhat more, but you're still probably saving money.

If you think the British fees system is bad, try the American system...
As far as I've seen, (and have put on my student loan application) is £1700 per year but I don't really mind the extra year on the course as I'd be doing a five year course if I'd taken Bath up on their offer anyway...
Reply 29
Hia im from the Netherlands but have been residing in the uk for the past seven years and currently attending uni in Scotland and i have been told by many family friends and eu students that i could be attendin uni for free down here in Scotland and i was just wondering if it applied to me as i have lived here for quite some time
No, I'm afraid unless you have been a resident of Scotland for 3 years before your course began, that you're not eligible for free tuition in Scotland.
Or a resident of any EU country outside of the UK.

But if you have resided in England, Wales or Northern Ireland for the last 3+ years it is there that you are a resident of and you pay tuition fees.
Reply 32
Lady_Muck
I don't actually see how people can say it's the same expense wise after 4 years. Balls is it!

English uni - 3 x £3k = 9k, straight up.
Scottish - 3 x 1.7k = 5100, no questions. You are absolutely not going to spend £4k in your 4th year!!

Apparently English people don't have to pay for their 4th year either.
AshleyT
Apparently English people don't have to pay for their 4th year either.

Yes we do. I'm 4th year and we are paying fees.

This used to be the system prior to the 2006 entry (my year)
which is when top up fees were introduced in England. Since then it has been cheaper to do 4 years in Scotland than 3 in England meaning they dont have to bribe you to come here now, whereas in the past it was the same price in all of the UK meaning obviously, Scotland was more expensive so they balanced it out by giving the final year for free.
On the otherhand, third year is free for me (was it free for you oxymoronic?) because I am on a full year erasmus exchange so the Scottish government cover my fees for me.
nearlyheadlessian
On the otherhand, third year is free for me (was it free for you oxymoronic?) because I am on a full year erasmus exchange so the Scottish government cover my fees for me.

Yeah 3rd year was free.

Its the EU who cover your fees as Erasmus is an EU thing, so you get the grant from them and the tuition for fee. It's ironic that I've been helped out so much more as a student from the EU than the UK government, they've done little more than get me in debt...

Latest

Trending

Trending