The Student Room Group

Results day not gone too well (AS)

Hello guys! Results day didn't go as planned for the AS' I had taken; Eng Lit, Psychology, Physics and Maths as I ended up with grades CDEU respectively (I decided to drop maths and carry on with the rest at A2). I'm actually planning on studying Psychology at uni.

For various reasons, my AS year went terribly and I'm wondering if it's still possible to do well in A2, with resits and sheer hardwork, to turn my results around?

Have you experienced this yourselves and managed to do much better at A2? As well as this, what Unis gave you an offer?

Please be nice XD
Many thanks
Original post by workingtitle
Hello guys! Results day didn't go as planned for the AS' I had taken; Eng Lit, Psychology, Physics and Maths as I ended up with grades CDEU respectively (I decided to drop maths and carry on with the rest at A2). I'm actually planning on studying Psychology at uni.

For various reasons, my AS year went terribly and I'm wondering if it's still possible to do well in A2, with resits and sheer hardwork, to turn my results around?

Have you experienced this yourselves and managed to do much better at A2? As well as this, what Unis gave you an offer?

Please be nice XD
Many thanks

Failing AS isnt a big deal if you know where you went wrong and have a decent plan on how to fix it. Resits are a lot easier than the first time round.

Uni offers dont really matter per se as many people fail and most uni's even the good ones (Nottingham, Manchester, Birmingham) are always in clearing/adjustment so the initial offer doesn't matter as much.

So year with sheer hardwork which is focused on your weak points plus a few resits, you could easily make you overall grades look more rosy
Reply 2
Original post by A level sufferer
Failing AS isnt a big deal if you know where you went wrong and have a decent plan on how to fix it. Resits are a lot easier than the first time round.

Uni offers dont really matter per se as many people fail and most uni's even the good ones (Nottingham, Manchester, Birmingham) are always in clearing/adjustment so the initial offer doesn't matter as much.

So year with sheer hardwork which is focused on your weak points plus a few resits, you could easily make you overall grades look more rosy

With the unis you mentioned, how low can they set their entry requirements for courses like psychology? Also, is it possible to still achieve an ABB, do you think?Thank you so much :smile: !
With the unis you mentioned, how low can they set their entry requirements for courses like psychology? Also, is it possible to still achieve an ABB, do you think?Thank you so much :smile: !

It depends on the number of applicants who didnt meet their requirements but more often than not there are a fair few. Youd have to look on their individual entry requirements on their website and then remove a grade or 2 to get the clearing grade.

If you resit anything is possible as long as you address the reasons why you achieved the grades you did. I did Econ AS got a low mid C, resat the AS modules whilst i was doing my A2 year and got an A* overall. So any grade (higher or lower) is possible, just try and fix where you lacked this year and im sure youll do much better next year.

Youre welcome :smile:
Reply 4
It depends on the number of applicants who didnt meet their requirements but more often than not there are a fair few. Youd have to look on their individual entry requirements on their website and then remove a grade or 2 to get the clearing grade.

If you resit anything is possible as long as you address the reasons why you achieved the grades you did. I did Econ AS got a low mid C, resat the AS modules whilst i was doing my A2 year and got an A* overall. So any grade (higher or lower) is possible, just try and fix where you lacked this year and im sure youll do much better next year.

Really helpful advice, actually :smile: and yes, I guess that's the only way really to improve my grades. Anyway, thanks again and good luck with Uni this year (unless you're taking a gap year- then good luck with that) :biggrin:
Reply 5

Also well done with your result in Economics, bet you were over the moon :smile:
Also well done with your result in Economics, bet you were over the moon :smile:

You wouldn't believe, I had worked so hard for it aswell which made it even sweeter. That could be you next year with consistent hard work and more important correction of your errors. :smile:

Please be nice XD
Many thanks

what did u get at gcse for each btw
and i think u shud defo drop physics/maths and redo one and personally i would redo maths because now(hopefully)you know all the content and considering all the past papers are the same you could spend a motnh or two recapping every chapter and doing questions and then the rest of the year just do tons and tons of past papers which will bring ur grade up because they are all very similar

howcomes u feel u got those grades-did u revise enough do u think?when did u start and how much did u do?This year maybe you need to be more efficient with revision and sacrifice social activities and work and time spent with family to study
good luck i hope everything goes well
Reply 8
Original post by youreanutter
what did u get at gcse for each btw
and i think u shud defo drop physics/maths and redo one and personally i would redo maths because now(hopefully)you know all the content and considering all the past papers are the same you could spend a motnh or two recapping every chapter and doing questions and then the rest of the year just do tons and tons of past papers which will bring ur grade up because they are all very similar

howcomes u feel u got those grades-did u revise enough do u think?when did u start and how much did u do?This year maybe you need to be more efficient with revision and sacrifice social activities and work and time spent with family to study
good luck i hope everything goes well

Hello! For GCSE's I got 4A's (Maths, Physics, English Language and English Lit), 3B's (Biology, Chemistry, Geography) and 2 C's (Classics and French...I didn't feel like I revised hard for those, I accepted I was bad at them and just left them to the last minute. I'm not the sharpest tool in the box to be fair :O I left everything to the last minute and the subjects that I did revise for, I forgot during the panic of exams! I found doing past papers very diffiult for Physics because I thought that I understood something and then when it came to doing questions, it never went well. Thanks for your advice! if you don't mind me asking, how were exams for you and do you have any tips?

Quick Reply

Latest