The Student Room Group

When a girl starts using you lingo

A girl I like starts using my word 'mate'.

Its something she has never said, but she uses it with me on text and her friendds in person.

Is she being friendly or does it mean something more.
Reply 1
You invented the word mate :O
Original post by Anonymous

Its something she has never said, but she uses it with me on text and her friendds in person.

Ouch. That is a nightmare.

Why? Jim Rohn says that you're the average of the 5 people closest to you. If you think about it, you'll find some of the things you say/do are influenced by your closest friends. I've found myself copying the words of people I'm really into.

The trouble is the word itself - it's difficult to say whether she's copying you because of the above idea (and that she feels close to you), or she's trying to hammer home the idea that she sees you as a friend.
she's trying to be "one of the guys" ugh
Means something more, trust me.
It means nothing, when you talk to people sometimes you start to adapt to their way of speaking without knowing your doing it, I spent 6 weeks in Canada, I remember coming back to England and mispronouncing my words. Plus words like 'mate' can be catchy, especially in text format.

I think she is just being friendly :smile: Calling people "mate" usually isn't that big of a deal. I call all my male-friends "mate", and I don't mean anything special with it. If she didn't call you mate before, then it's probably just because she feels closer to you now compared to then, and if you spend time with certain people, you start talking like them. But then again, I don't know the entire context. Just pay attention to the following:

* Does she call other male-friends "mate"? if yes, and there's nothing more going on.
* Does she regularly touch you? If yes, then there could be more.
* Pay attention to how often she wants to talk to you, and if she starts the conversation.

Good luck :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by BlackPhoenix95
I think she is just being friendly :smile: Calling people "mate" usually isn't that big of a deal. I call all my male-friends "mate", and I don't mean anything special with it. If she didn't call you mate before, then it's probably just because she feels closer to you now compared to then, and if you spend time with certain people, you start talking like them. But then again, I don't know the entire context. Just pay attention to the following:

* Does she call other male-friends "mate"? if yes, and there's nothing more going on.
* Does she regularly touch you? If yes, then there could be more.
* Pay attention to how often she wants to talk to you, and if she starts the conversation.

Good luck :smile:

hey thanks for reply

*I havent seen her call other guys mate, but usually she is very shy around them(she is always shy around everyone apart from me). Her body language is all shy and defensive. But cannot say for sure, havent seen it enough. She did once say that in her flat she calls her female friend mate. Her female friend said that word doesnt suit her.

*At first no, but I broke the touch barrier. After that she does want to touch me. If I am quiet, she will talk and tap my arm, then just pull my whole arm into her body if i stay quiet. Sometimes I feel that she needs to touch me all the time, once we was studying and she started playing with a scar on my hand, while I was teaching her something. She once ran her finger through my hair, but quickly moved her hand, when she realized what she was doing.

*At first it was me with the contact, but over Christmas she used to ask me questions about uni which could be easily answered. anyway as time went by, she started texting me more, then she started calling me a lot, asking to hang out. She sent lots of random texts, and if i ignored her she would send more. Over the summer holidays this continued, but as we have not seen each other it has faded, but she has text me every time she uploads a selfie on facebook.

Also im sure eye contact means something too, When I walk around she will look at me, then quickly look down. Once my friend said, that when I walked into an exam hall, she looked at me all the way until I sat down.
Reply 8
Original post by SeanFM
Ouch. That is a nightmare.

Why? Jim Rohn says that you're the average of the 5 people closest to you. If you think about it, you'll find some of the things you say/do are influenced by your closest friends. I've found myself copying the words of people I'm really into.

The trouble is the word itself - it's difficult to say whether she's copying you because of the above idea (and that she feels close to you), or she's trying to hammer home the idea that she sees you as a friend.

Welll early on I never used the word, but after a while when I used it, she used it more.

I guess I need to find another word
hey thanks for reply

*I havent seen her call other guys mate, but usually she is very shy around them(she is always shy around everyone apart from me). Her body language is all shy and defensive. But cannot say for sure, havent seen it enough. She did once say that in her flat she calls her female friend mate. Her female friend said that word doesnt suit her.

*At first no, but I broke the touch barrier. After that she does want to touch me. If I am quiet, she will talk and tap my arm, then just pull my whole arm into her body if i stay quiet. Sometimes I feel that she needs to touch me all the time, once we was studying and she started playing with a scar on my hand, while I was teaching her something. She once ran her finger through my hair, but quickly moved her hand, when she realized what she was doing.

*At first it was me with the contact, but over Christmas she used to ask me questions about uni which could be easily answered. anyway as time went by, she started texting me more, then she started calling me a lot, asking to hang out. She sent lots of random texts, and if i ignored her she would send more. Over the summer holidays this continued, but as we have not seen each other it has faded, but she has text me every time she uploads a selfie on facebook.

Also im sure eye contact means something too, When I walk around she will look at me, then quickly look down. Once my friend said, that when I walked into an exam hall, she looked at me all the way until I sat down.

Ok, then it seems like she likes you :smile: But not because she uses your words, more because she looked at you and looked down, and texts and touches you, which are usually pretty clear signs. You could always start spending more time with her alone, like asking to watch a film at your place, or go for a run together, and then once you get closer you can just ask her out. Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending