The Student Room Group

Do first impressions matter a lot?

Started at sixth form today and a girl there is really hot, but I'm really fat , ugly and sweaty etc. so she won't think the same about me, but could she one day? She did smile at me so i guess she's a nice person as most people just walk past, ignore me. If i lost weight, gotta better hair, style etc. and become more confident do you think she would see me in a different way? or am i doomed because she'll remember me as i was when we first met and the best i can hope for is friendship? Really long winded i know, but any opinions would be good :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I dont think they do. i thinnk you have to go on a persons personality, looks are just a bonus in my opinion. x
Original post by Hunting4life
I dont think they do. i thinnk you have to go on a persons personality, looks are just a bonus in my opinion. x

But you can't be turned on by a paper bag...

...looks matter no doubt otherwise the sexual attraction, or lack of it, will lead to problems at some point.

Having said that, you don't need to look like a rockstar, you just need to be happy with what you do present.
Reply 3
Original post by frenchfly

...looks matter no doubt otherwise the sexual attraction, or lack of it, will lead to problems at some point.

Having said that, you don't need to look like a rockstar, you just need to be happy with what you do present.
i agree with you, but what about first impressions, could they change over time. Like if someone was unattractive and became more attractive, could you date them?

Yeah i get the paper bag thing. Just i dont think looks are the be all and end all.
Original post by Anonymous
i agree with you, but what about first impressions, could they change over time. Like if someone was unattractive and became more attractive, could you date them?

Yup your feelings can change over time. It's happened to me. It wasn't a drastic change, but I used to be a bit chubby. I was quite unattractive. Then last summer, I lost a ton of weight and suddenly I have girls, some who were good friends (not just randomers) giving me more attention.

So yes, first impressions do matter. Is it shallow? No, I don't think it is. You need to like what you're gonna **** but it's also not the be all and end all to healthy lasting relationships.

Edit: And no, first impressions don't change over time, you sexual attraction to someone can change over time if they make changes which change one's sexual attraction to them. What impacts our sexual attraction to other humans? Well it's things on their body. So losing weight, changing hair colour, building muscle, squating, boob job (for some..), getting new clothes, new look all round. Stuff like that can make us think, wow, x is pretty attractive now.

Look on fb and those you met at school 5 years ago. See how they look now, your first impressions haven't changed but you probably would't mind ****ing some of them.
(edited 8 years ago)
There's first impressions and lasting impressions. Tbh they might be the same if you're not the type to be socially skilled enough to redeem yourself if you started off wrong.

Now being ugly and fat and confident. The confidence is up to you. If you think being slimmer will automatically improve your life, mate...

Now if you're sweaty or something and socially awkward just...you know..clean up. Calm down a bit, take it easy, drink water, bring a rag or paper towels or something and wipe the sweat. Being fat doesn't mean being sloppy. And as far as dress, Idk how you dress but if you think it's ugly try wearing what you think is nice, obviously. No one is doomed.
Reply 7
Yup your feelings can change over time. It's happened to me. It wasn't a drastic change, but I used to be a bit chubby. I was quite unattractive. Then last summer, I lost a ton of weight and suddenly I have girls, some who were good friends (not just randomers) giving me more attention.

So yes, first impressions do matter. Is it shallow? No, I don't think it is. You need to like what you're gonna **** but it's also not the be all and end all to healthy lasting relationships.

Edit: And no, first impressions don't change over time, you sexual attraction to someone can change over time if they make changes which change one's sexual attraction to them. What impacts our sexual attraction to other humans? Well it's things on their body. So losing weight, changing hair colour, building muscle, squating, boob job (for some..), getting new clothes, new look all round. Stuff like that can make us think, wow, x is pretty attractive now.

Look on fb and those you met at school 5 years ago. See how they look now, your first impressions haven't changed but you probably would't mind ****ing some of them.
This is what i meant, thanks mate, its good motivation to start back at the gym, and i don't think its shallow either, acting like physical attraction doesnt exist or isn't important is just burying your head in the sand
Original post by Man.bear.pig
There's first impressions and lasting impressions. Tbh they might be the same if you're not the type to be socially skilled enough to redeem yourself if you started off wrong.

Now being ugly and fat and confident. The confidence is up to you. If you think being slimmer will automatically improve your life, mate...

Now if you're sweaty or something and socially awkward just...you know..clean up. Calm down a bit, take it easy, drink water, bring a rag or paper towels or something and wipe the sweat. Being fat doesn't mean being sloppy. And as far as dress, Idk how you dress but if you think it's ugly try wearing what you think is nice, obviously. No one is doomed.

Well said.
Original post by goldenusername
Well said.

cheers you.
Original post by Man.bear.pig

It will improve the way i look drastically and therefore my confidence and everything will follow, i think...
Original post by Anonymous
It will improve the way i look drastically and therefore my confidence and everything will follow, i think...

that goes back to what I said about your weight shouldn't determine or jeopardise your self esteem. but ok. like I said you can't miraculously drop stones so in the meantime just carry yourself better.
Weight loss does wonders for confidence. It makes not care about what others think because deep down you're comfortable with your weight.

Whereas fat or overweight people generally know they are what they are. They are then worried people will pick up on this so they instead prefer to isolate themselves a bit. What this means is you then start chatting to someone but you don't fully let yourself go out of fear. You then appear unconfident.
Nah, no1 cares about 1st impressions.
It's the 17th and 39th impressions that count.
lol stay away from her till u lose the weight etc and you're finally happy w yourself.
doubt she'll remember.

even though i would😉 lol im good w faces😎😎

Speak for yourself ...
Weight loss does wonders for confidence. It makes not care about what others think because deep down you're comfortable with your weight.

Whereas fat or overweight people generally know they are what they are. They are then worried people will pick up on this so they instead prefer to isolate themselves a bit. What this means is you then start chatting to someone but you don't fully let yourself go out of fear. You then appear unconfident.
100% agree
No first impressions don't count

don't you see how there are a couple of nerdy sweaty boys in year 7 who turn into Mr Perfect in year 13 and the girls that ignored them 6 years ago are swooning when they walk past them now??? :colonhash:

dat could be u
Original post by thecatwithnohat
No first impressions don't count

don't you see how there are a couple of nerdy sweaty boys in year 7 who turn into Mr Perfect in year 13 and the girls that ignored them 6 years ago are swooning when they walk past them now??? :colonhash:

dat could be u
hope so :smile: haha
Original post by Mpagtches
Speak for yourself ...

lmfao

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending