The Student Room Group

Study at home for A Levels

I have had to chose A-Levels in my sixth form that I don't want to do, and have found the UK Open College where you pay to do their courses and I really want to do it at home. I know it'll be hard but I cannot stand the choices I have been given and it's to the point where I'd hate them so much I'd purposely do badly (They are Applied Science, Health/Social Care and ICT - None of these I wanted to do at all) so what would be the point in me bothering. The courses I want to do ( Biology and Animal Care) from the Open College give me a tutor and resources within the fees, but I don't know if I am allowed to be taken off the sixth form register's to study at home.
Reply 1
Original post by Sprakes
I have had to chose A-Levels in my sixth form that I don't want to do, and have found the UK Open College where you pay to do their courses and I really want to do it at home. I know it'll be hard but I cannot stand the choices I have been given and it's to the point where I'd hate them so much I'd purposely do badly (They are Applied Science, Health/Social Care and ICT - None of these I wanted to do at all) so what would be the point in me bothering. The courses I want to do ( Biology and Animal Care) from the Open College give me a tutor and resources within the fees, but I don't know if I am allowed to be taken off the sixth form register's to study at home.

Can you not go to another college to do those subjects that you want? It would be less costly !
You can, but going to another college may be better☺️ you will get bored of getting tutored at home, trust me☺️☺️
Reply 3
Original post by Emsta
Can you not go to another college to do those subjects that you want? It would be less costly !

No, and money isn't a worry at all
Reply 4
Original post by maria_andron
You can, but going to another college may be better☺️ you will get bored of getting tutored at home, trust me☺️☺️

I won't, believe me. I have terrible anxiety disorder and my panic attacks only calm down when I am at home (a safe place, you know) Being in a completely new environment will just make me ill.
Reply 5
Original post by Sprakes
No, and money isn't a worry at all

oh, you could try the home study and see how it goes :smile:. You mentioned about animal care, is there no courses around your area which do that (not A-levels like a diploma), this is just an idea or maybe even a apprentichip could be considered. But, if you set on A-levels then go for it and see how it goes.Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck :smile:
Original post by Sprakes
I won't, believe me. I have terrible anxiety disorder and my panic attacks only calm down when I am at home (a safe place, you know) Being in a completely new environment will just make me ill.

Oh, I'm sorry to hear that😭😒😔. However you can get taken off the sixth form's register, and you don't even have to show up or tell them, I think. Getting homeschooled is basically like getting taught at college , so there shouldn't be a problem.
Reply 7
Original post by Emsta
oh, you could try the home study and see how it goes :smile:. You mentioned about animal care, is there no courses around your area which do that (not A-levels like a diploma), this is just an idea or maybe even a apprentichip could be considered. But, if you set on A-levels then go for it and see how it goes.Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck :smile:

I think the closest animal care one is a good 50 miles away haha
Reply 8
Original post by Sprakes
I think the closest animal care one is a good 50 miles away haha

ah man :/, oh well, good luck in whatever you decide to do :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest