The Student Room Group

Feel panicky, tight chest and cant relax

Spoiler

Reply 1
.. Sorry accientaily but post in a spoiler
Reply 2
Sounds like anxiety to me - nothing to worry about, just have a chat with your GP
Original post by Anonymous

Spoiler

It sounds like anxiety attack you're describing, I often get periods like this and can sometimes not differentiate from my asthma. It may be an idea to speak to a doctor or try relaxation techniques.
I hope you feel better soon
Reply 4
Thanks for your kind comments, I dont like making a big fuss with family knowing about all this, I am very close my to Mum, I wouldn't want her knowing. She's been concerned I'm not myself, and said she would take me to the walk in centre. I just dont want all that fuss. Especially being a male, its very embarrassing to talk about this!

I will admit I always fear the worst, and keep thinking its something serious all the time! I have never liked medial things though!
Thanks for your kind comments, I dont like making a big fuss with family knowing about all this, I am very close my to Mum, I wouldn't want her knowing. She's been concerned I'm not myself, and said she would take me to the walk in centre. I just dont want all that fuss. Especially being a male, its very embarrassing to talk about this!

I will admit I always fear the worst, and keep thinking its something serious all the time! I have never liked medial things though!

I found talking to someone helped, it doesn't have to be your mum. You could always call the Samaritans to talk to when you're in a bad way or to work out what to do. Could you go to the walk in centre by yourself to talk to someone? I know the doctors can be scary but usually they're really nice. It's not embarrassing, lots of people go through this in life and people will support you when you need help.
my bf complained about chest pain for a while and I made him go doctors, they turned out to be panic attacks and he got diagnosed with anxiety. The sooner you go to the doctors the better as they can give you the help you need😊
Reply 7
Original post by SydKing98
Look mate, I know things are not going your way, but steve isn't here, so give me the beez. bees is cockney rhyming slang, like tom for ****, so beez means money. so I could say to you, GIVE ME THE ****ING BEEZ.

#He's on a mad one!!!!
Reply 8
Original post by SydKing98
Look mate, I know things are not going your way, but steve isn't here, so give me the beez. bees is cockney rhyming slang, like tom for ****, so beez means money. so I could say to you, GIVE ME THE ****ING BEEZ.
That is as probably as mad I feel at the moment!
I also have asthma and have recently started suffering from anxiety and panic attacks. Its really frustrating because it is sometimes hard to tell if its the asthma or a panic attack. Whenever my chest was tight I was taking my inhaler but it turns out that that can make a panic attack worse.

I have found that eating a healthy diet, exercising, cutting down on caffeine and starting to try meditating has helped a bit but the doctor will be able to help you. I know it can be a bit scary going to the doctor about this type of thing but it is a lot more common than you think.
I am at work at this current coment really struggling. I am now shivering, dont know what to do
I am at work at this current coment really struggling. I am now shivering, dont know what to do

Aw :hugs: what're you working as?
Original post by Little Popcorns
Aw :hugs: what're you working as?
In an office, really struggling to concentrate, getting myself in a right state.

Try taking some slow breaths, try breathing in for a count of 5, holding your breath for 5 seconds and then breathing out for 5 seconds. Normally when we have a panic attack it is because we are not breathing properly. If you can slow your breathing down this may help in the very short term.

If you need to then can you tell someone you are not feeling well and need some fresh air, or if you are feeling really bad and need to go home then let someone know you don't feel well.

Then I would suggest calling the doctors and going to see them as soon as possible. Going to the doctors for help literally changed my life for the better.
I just dont understand how you can go through being perfectly fine, to being a little stressed to all this mess I am getting myself into. I really dont want the attention, I just want to go back to normal. Cant even walk to the train station from work without feeling breathless. Never felt like this in my entire life, feel as I will collapse any second.
I completely understand, I went from perfectly fine, to a little stressed to struggling to get out of bed. It can be so frustrating and upsetting. I'm so sorry that you are having to go through this. One thing I will say is that you can get help and things can get better. I know at my worst I thought I would never be the same again but after getting help I am starting to get better every day.

Think of it this way, there are many other types of illness' out there, where symptoms can manifest themselves quite quickly and if you had a physical illness the best thing to do would be to get help, mental health problems like anxiety are the same. Don't feel like you are attention seeking by going to get help, you are not!
In an office, really struggling to concentrate, getting myself in a right state.

Sorry! Erm yeah offices can be stuffy like that. Maybe go to the toilet for a breather? Hope you were okay in the end.

Quick Reply

Latest