The Student Room Group

Please let me know how you feel ??

This year doing A levels has probably been the most stressful, depressing year ever i just feel as though there isn't a light at the end of the tunnel i dont no why i am in school any more i dont no where im heading i want to go 2 university next year (i think) i just feel as though there is no way of getting there, every thing is out of my reach my grades are suffering but i just feel there is no way of improving them. I hav felt so alone but the doctor has told me i am not the only one who feels like this everyone goes through it!! i just want to no if there is anyone else who feels/ felt like this nd how they survived or didnt survive there A level years??? Thanx
Reply 1
I feel like this sometimes. Major highs and lows, and I'm only doing AS at the moment!
Reply 2
This is something that more A2 students than you realise struggle with. Just think, we've really not got much time left until we finish school, and you want to enjoy what's still to come. You WILL be able to do your work if you focus your mind appropriately, and think about where what you're doing is actually going to get you, rather than being bogged down by academic concepts that you're struggling with.
Reply 3
i'm sorry to hear you feel like this. A lot of people go through low points at school- doing exams can be a very stressful time, especially if there are other things affecting your life outside of school. You may feel like you're too behind to catch up, but at least you've taken the 1st step and identified that your grades are suffering and you want to improve them. Sometimes i feel really behind, it's difficult because sometimes you have so much you need to do you don't know where to begin! i find it helps to make lists of things you need to complete then work through them. You may feel behind in a subject now but you have enough time to go through it and cover the material before the exams. Is there a teacher you would feel comfortable talking to, I'm sure they would be happy to help you make an action plan to improve your studies. Just think of the summer holidays and all the fun you can have after these exams! It may seem like an upward struggle but you will get through this year and have every chance of getting some good grades, just think you managed to complete GCSEs (i found it stressful trying to juggle 10 subjects at once) so you can do equally well if not better again. Don't give up and hopefully things will start to improve, good luck!
Reply 4
Sorry to hear that you're on the verge of what looks like a major depressive episode in your life. But you've got to make sure that however bad you feel that you've got to carry on regardless, if you dont you will regret it later in life.
Most of my friends and also myself have started feeling like this. None of us actually want to go to school anymore, and the only reason any of us do is to see each other. All of us have said recently that we'd rather just give up, drop out, and get a job that we're semi-happy doing rather than go to university and have to work our asses off for another 3/4 years.

How can we get ourselves motivated?
I'm feeling the same at the moment, like nothing i will do will help I think it is a depressive time of the year, nearing our January results with what seems like a still endless amount of stuff to learn. :s-smilie: I need to be motivated also :frown:
Reply 7
I have NO motivation whatsoever. I have so much stuff to do and I'm under so much stress it's unbelievable. I don't have the energy to even read a book, I haven't been working on my German oral, my Bio practical cocked up completely yesterday so my coursework is going to be absolute rubbish, I blagged my way through the Chem calculations today which turned out to be all wrong, decision Maths has become the bane of my life and organising House Music for my house is a nightmare because no one turns up. I haven't been practicing the piano for about 3 weeks now and I'm meant to be taking my Grade 8 next year; I haven't had time for any of my hobbies but I still have so much to do. I need to start making decisions about university but nothing interests me anymore, I have no passion for anything and I don't have any goals in life. It doesn't help that I had the time of my life in Germany during half term - I'm missing everyone I met there and I really don't want to be in school; I want to be back in Germany and I can't concentrate. Sometimes, I just think, "WHY am I doing this?" I feel like dropping out of sixth form and nothing is going right.

*breathe*
Reply 8
Wel done for gettin 2 grade 8 on the piano im on grade 5 nd hav my exam in like 15 days it's the second time iv been put in for the exam now because the first time (before christmas) i had a break down the day before but atleast iv got a second chance!!!
I no exactly how u feel i have NO motivation i cant sit by the piano for more than 5mins nd sometimes i dont even go nd sit by it. U sed u were interested in languages nd u feel like u dont want 2 b in skwl u would rather b bak in germany wel i am exactly the same (except im taking french) so i have decided wot i want to do im goin 2 take a year out im going to france next year to pick up on my language skills nd then cum bak 2 university next year with experience nd new skills under my belt, maybe you should check it out www.seasonworkers.co.uk you can do anything you want to!! take a year out chill from all the stress of school this year and come bak refreshed!
Even the teachers in university have sed that they can tell the students who come straight from school to uni nd those who have taken a year out. the ones who have taken a year out are have more will power are refreshed and work harder because they no where they want to go coz they've had a year to think bout it. Taking a year out is sumthin 2 look forward to it will giv u sumthin 2 stay in skwl for its only a couple of weeks until we can leave forever and do sumthin we enjoy :smile: ! Good luck with your piano exam let me no how it goes!!
Reply 9
Can understand how you feel - have so much to do, coursework in all 3 subjects, flute practice and getting my recital up to scratch, revision for class tests, and getting on top of my subjects. I am fed up of school, but feel so unconfident about getting my university offers :frown:
Personally I really enjoyed sixth form, even though A-levels were a lot of work and it was stressful around coursework and exam times, because I enjoyed my subjects, I got on really well with most of the others in my year and my teachers, and so I liked going to school. But just from reading this thread, you can see that you're definitely not alone and it's quite normal to feel the way you do at the moment. And I have to admit, I'm definitely starting to feel the stress at the moment (I'm in my first year at uni) what with the time going so quickly and having so much to do. Whoever said the first year of uni was easier than A-levels must have been joking!! Anyway, I agree that making to do lists of everything you need to do and ticking things off as you do them really helps you to organise yourself, get on top of your work and feel more motivated. And just remember that there are only a few months left now; if you work really hard for that little bit longer, you can enjoy your summer and your gap year, if you take one, completely exam and stress free and ready for uni. But if you don't get the grades you want now, you might have to do some resits next year to get into the uni you want, which would be much more stressful, but it's definitely better to get A-levels out of the way for good this summer.
Reply 11
I feel the same - AS is unbelievably more difficult than GCSE (I thought I'd be able to cope with it but it's really too much) and I have so much work to do! There's not one lesson where I can sit back and relax a bit (except occasionally Biology and French) because everything we're doing is challenging and requires you to think. It might sound like a good thing but it's just exhausting! I can tell I'm stressed because although I'm normally calm I've recently been getting really bad-tempered, having arguments with people and stupid things set me off crying! I feel the pressure of applying to university - my school is really bad at helping us with that sort of thing: they seem to think that if we do all our own research then we'll be better off, but sometimes it's nice to have some guidance. I thought that was what they were there for? I wish I'd applied to another college rather than being lazy and staying on at my school's sixth form because it's getting so boring and I'm beginning to hate going there... sometimes it feels like my friends and my ambitions are the only things keeping me from dropping out!

I didn't intend to write an essay there, but yeah just to let you know that there's a lot of us out here who are feeling the same way. I suppose we should just muddle through, knowing that it'll all be over soon!
Reply 12
I completely understand this. There's just so much stress from teachers. And I go to the kind of school where as far as they're concerned anything less than an A may as well be a failiure.

I do want to enjoy the little time I've got left in the school as I've been here 7 years, but they're making it so difficult.

You're not alone, OP!
I know where your coming from, reassuringly alot of graduates ive spoken to say that their degree was far less stressful than their A-Levels. Stick at it :smile:
i think a lot of people who have higher ambitions feel like this - dont worry. i had like a nervous breakdown because i was only 1 mark off an A in biology which i worked really hard for but it was my first AS. i also have no idea what i wanna do - so ur not alone. i dont know where u are at in ur a levels but for whats left just think to yourself that by tyring to cope with it now u will get better grades and this in the long run will help you get where you wanna go to. sorry to ramble, but hopefully it helps.
and theres always the prospect that soon you will be at unviversity enjoying yourself (hopefully!) :smile:

Latest