The Student Room Group

The Oxbridge wiki needs some love

Hey everyone,

So we've got this massive, sprawling Oxbridge wiki which is super helpful, but also is looking a little bit sad as it hasn't been updated regularly.

I thought I'd just let everyone know that it's there and that you should feel free to make changes and updates if you see anything that's out of date or could be expanded or improved upon. :h:

Oxford
Cambridge

For example, there's still several Oxford colleges in the To do section. Some of the course pages for both haven't been updated in over a year. :beard:

Wikis work best when they're constantly being reviewed so if you've got a moment to cast your eye over some of the sections and see if you think anything needs updating, that would be really good for everyone making their applications this year.

If you've got any questions/comments/thoughts about this let me know. :smile:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Hey everyone,

So we've got this massive, sprawling Oxbridge wiki which is super helpful, but also is looking a little bit sad as it hasn't been updated regularly.

I thought I'd just let everyone know that it's there and that you should feel free to make changes and updates if you see anything that's out of date or could be expanded or improved upon. :h:

Oxford
Cambridge

For example, there's still several Oxford colleges in the To do section. Some of the course pages for both haven't been updated in over a year. :beard:

Wikis work best when they're constantly being reviewed so if you've got a moment to cast your eye over some of the sections and see if you think anything needs updating, that would be really good for everyone making their applications this year.

The problems you raised have been my concern for many years. When I first started lurking this forum to get some info for my daughter's application, some of the info on Cambridge wiki here, especially the colleges section, was already outdated and also were a bit biased because it's completely depended upon voluntary posting/editing by TSR members who happened to be the member of the college.
I think the best way is to ask JCR of each college to edit the contents if necessary to the standard they'd be happy with as a representative of the college.
Reply 2
Hey everyone,

Oxford
Cambridge

I've noticed @fluteflute rallying Oxford troops in their "Dude Where's My Gown" current students thread.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2336290&page=121&p=59177865#post59177865

Could someone do the same in the Cambridge equivalent? Not being a student I doubt I would be effective... :wink:
I'll be more than happy to update articles for my college and course when I actually get to Oxford, but I don't think there's a lot I can do there at the moment. I've added some basic stuff on entry requirements to the Earth Sciences article in the mean time.

I've left a note specific to the wiki on the current Oxford students' thread though since fluteflute was referring to the alternative prospectus, not the wiki.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 4
Maybe combine the alternative propectus with the wiki - otherwise resources are being duplicated?
Original post by jneill
Maybe combine the alternative propectus with the wiki - otherwise resources are being duplicated?

That's probably a good idea (if we're allowed to re-use content from the prospectus, I don't know if there's a copyright on that?), particularly for getting some content in for all the missing courses.
Original post by Plagioclase
That's probably a good idea (if we're allowed to re-use content from the prospectus, I don't know if there's a copyright on that?), particularly for getting some content in for all the missing courses.

Original post by jneill

We definitely wouldn't be allowed to re-use content from the prospectus :beard:

Thanks so much for your input here guys - the wiki is a beast.
Reply 7

Ah I presumed the Alt Prospectus was a TSR version, not the "official" JCRs version... if that makes sense... which it probably doesn't...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Ah I presumed the Alt Prospectus was a TSR version, not the "official" JCRs version... if that makes sense... which it probably doesn't...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aye :h:

Even if it was a TSR version we wouldn't be able to duplicate the content - we could link out to the prospectus, but if you duplicate content Google kills it in search, so no-one would be able to find the page.

It's probably depend on how TSR want the wiki to be, I mean how accurate and as in-biased that sort of thing can be, but it'd be great if you can find a way to improve its quality by not having to rely on voluntary contribution by a few members of TSR who happen to belling to a any given college or allowing any random members to edit the content as he/she likes.
If it's not possible, at least it'd be better if there's some kind of disclaimer on every page to state the content of article may not be completely accurate and/or can be biased
At the moment some info there are not very reliable but many prospectve candidates don't know it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by vincrows
It's probably depend on how TSR want the wiki to be, I mean how accurate and as in-biased that sort of thing can be, but it'd be great if you can find a way to improve its quality by not having to rely on voluntary contribution by a few members of TSR who happen to belling to a any given college or allowing any random members to edit the content as he/she likes.
If it's not possible, at least some kind of disclaimer on every page to state the content of article may not be completely accurate and/or can be biased.

I think the idea of the wiki is that it is community led, but you're right that for it to be most effective it needs to have a lot of people regularly looking at it and updating it; same as with any wiki really. :smile: There's so much information about Oxbridge that this is something we wouldn't want to take 'in house' because we simply wouldn't be able to give as much help and insight as TSR members.
Reply 11
Aye :h:

Even if it was a TSR version we wouldn't be able to duplicate the content - we could link out to the prospectus, but if you duplicate content Google kills it in search, so no-one would be able to find the page.

Yes I know. I was saying to combine them to avoid duplication. :wink: (in a former life I was also an SEO consultant :wink: )

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Yes I know. I was saying to combine them to avoid duplication. :wink: (in a former life I was also an SEO consultant :wink: )

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah okay, I misunderstood you. :adore:
I think the idea of the wiki is that it is community led, but you're right that for it to be most effective it needs to have a lot of people regularly looking at it and updating it; same as with any wiki really. :smile: There's so much information about Oxbridge that this is something we wouldn't want to take 'in house' because we simply wouldn't be able to give as much help and insight as TSR members.

The big difference between the real Wiki and TSR wiki is that in former there's an army of regular contributors and content checkers (some paid by wiki, others voluntary contributors with the obsession of making wiki a better site) who constantly check the content to make it as accurate and unbiased, while TSR's present system is entirely relied on very few people with personal view and their limited personal experience on their college and the way how they present it. I've noticed many times some people are influenced too much by how the article was written, like the feeling you get from the writing reflects the atmosphere of college.

If it's TSR policy to keep it as a community-led source of info, then the disclaimers like I suggested above are definitelely in need.
And if you won't get help from the official JCR of each college, at least a link to their alternative prospectus oat off colleges have online version now) can be added in each article?
Will definitely take a look :smile: although I recently checked and at least the 'Oxford College Pros and Cons' is quite regularly updated!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending