The Student Room Group

Speech and Language therapy 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Akate500
Hello there! I'm currently in year 13 and have applied to psychology courses at uni, and I hold my offers. However, since making that decision I have had a bit of an epiphany and have my heart set on being an SLT! It sounds mad, but does anyone know about what they would do if I applied through clearing this year? I am eager to go to uni and the funding is a bit of a pressure. I really like the look of DMU, if that is anything to go by.
Thank you if anyone can help!!! xxx

Hi

SLT is a tricky one to predict as to availability through clearing - I have been involved in this thread for the last couple of years (I am just about to complete my second year). There were a few more options last year for various reasons but usually it is quite rare to see the course in clearing.

If you don't have any success this year with clearing there is always the option of either a gap year or the postgraduate 2 year course. MMU at the moment run a masters course for psychology graduates only - other unis accept other degrees.

Don't know if the change in funding will affect the postgrad route though - and watch DMU as they also offer this course outside of NHS funding so if they are in clearing check the funding type if you want to avoid student finance loans this year.

Good luck
I've firmed Cardiff Met as my first choice and I was wondering who else is planning on going to Cardiff Met in September :smile:
Hey! I am, it's down as my firm!!
Original post by Akate500
Hello there! I'm currently in year 13 and have applied to psychology courses at uni, and I hold my offers. However, since making that decision I have had a bit of an epiphany and have my heart set on being an SLT! It sounds mad, but does anyone know about what they would do if I applied through clearing this year? I am eager to go to uni and the funding is a bit of a pressure. I really like the look of DMU, if that is anything to go by.
Thank you if anyone can help!!! xxx

The people I know who have gone through clearing tend to be those who picked SLT but did not get on rather than someone who decided SLT was for them later on. For example, one of the girls on my course was turned down and had psychology as her insurance choice. Someone did not turn up so she joined the course on the second day.

You cannot predict which universities will have spaces in clearing each year except perhaps City because of the high cost of living which puts lots of people off and the high entry requirements which some people fail to meet. Because of the funding situation, I would expect there to be fewer places on offer this year too. I would contact DMU now rather than until clearing if speech and language therapy is what you want to do.
Hello everyone! I'm starting in September at MMU. Wondering if anyone out there is in the same boat and what accommodation you're staying at or whether you're commuting. Is anyone going to drop in sessions too to help with their DBS checks in July time? :smile:
Original post by tildawatts
i most probably will be!!

I'm off to MMU too!
Original post by Mrscrabs
Hi
Mature student here. Will be 36 when I start. My children will be 3 & 5. I have a conditional offer at Leeds beckett. I have just completed an AS in psychology as they wanted evidence of recent study (I completed a degree in primary education 10 years ago) and now I'm really nervous I won't get the required B.

Any way that's me

HI I'm also a Mature student and will be 37 when I hopefully start my course at Greenwich. I am a Qualified Primary teacher with a background in SEN. Are you relocating to Leeds? I will have to relocate to Kent. I will have to find new school places for the children and accommodation. I'm trying not to become to stressed by it all
Original post by freshstart1234
HI I'm also a Mature student and will be 37 when I hopefully start my course at Greenwich. I am a Qualified Primary teacher with a background in SEN. Are you relocating to Leeds? I will have to relocate to Kent. I will have to find new school places for the children and accommodation. I'm trying not to become to stressed by it all

Hi why are you moving if you don't mind me asking? Are you quite far away at the moment or did you always want to move to Kent?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had originally planned to apply in September 2017 and emailed a few Uni's for advice regarding what I should do to improve my prospects. Manchester is my local uni but they only want Psychology and wouldn't accept my experience so I emailed further afield. I used to live in Greenwich and know their Medway campus fairly well. I'm a firm believer in grabbing opportunities as they arise and thought I'd apply. I'll have 6 months to work out the finer details :smile:.
Reply 849
Hi all,
Not sure if anyone has any advice on this but in May my grandma passed away and it really impacted my revision/studies because I was spending a lot of time at the hospital with her etc.
Now I'm really worried I won't meet my entry requirements which is ABB. Do you think the uni would take it into consideration if I email them?
Has anyone had any experience filling in the occupational health form with a disability/condition? I've just been completing mine, and I have cerebral palsy and OCD so I am TERRIFIED they'll say I'm not fit for the course :frown: I've worked as a HCA in the past but left as I found it too physical, I'm hoping that won't go against me - they are very different jobs!
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello.I just received an offer from City uni for 'Speech and Language Science' also received a rejection for 'speech and language therapy' saying 'the course is full'. I also have 2 other offers from other unis which are very close to my home. (15 mins drive) St Mary's Twickenham and Kingston Uni both for Psychology. Now, my question is that does Speech and Language Science have any scope? Will I have to do additional diploma to be an slt? What career can I have with speech and language science? Also, for slt being full can I request them to consider me for another course I.e. Psychology? Is City worth the commute and effort? I am a mature student, have family commitments so I am just really confused at the moment!!
Original post by Rarahym
Hello.I just received an offer from City uni for 'Speech and Language Science' also received a rejection for 'speech and language therapy' saying 'the course is full'. I also have 2 other offers from other unis which are very close to my home. (15 mins drive) St Mary's Twickenham and Kingston Uni both for Psychology. Now, my question is that does Speech and Language Science have any scope? Will I have to do additional diploma to be an slt? What career can I have with speech and language science? Also, for slt being full can I request them to consider me for another course I.e. Psychology? Is City worth the commute and effort? I am a mature student, have family commitments so I am just really confused at the moment!!

Speech and Language Science will not qualify you as a SLT. With any of your options to qualify you would have to do the postgraduate 2 year course.

On the other hand there may be other options for SLT undergraduate course in clearing on results day - City is often there - but there are no guarantees of course. Or you could leave it a year and apply early for 2017.

Good luck
Reply 853
Hello everyone :smile:

I'm currently doing an undergraduate degree (sociology). I'm very interested in doing a SLT postgraduate degree after I graduate. Do you guys think I have a chance of getting in considering I have done a Sociology degree?? Thanks in advance for all your help everyone :smile:
Original post by marwa_s
Hi all,
Not sure if anyone has any advice on this but in May my grandma passed away and it really impacted my revision/studies because I was spending a lot of time at the hospital with her etc.
Now I'm really worried I won't meet my entry requirements which is ABB. Do you think the uni would take it into consideration if I email them?

Sorry to hear that, hope you're coping okay, worrying about grades is probably the last thing you need right now!
First and foremost you'd want to speak to your school about extenuating circumstances- the sooner the better, as they're the ones who will have contact with the exam boards, and are most likely to know what will happen in this case. I'd also ask them for their advice on how to proceed with the university- they probably need to send some sort of official letter rather than you emailing directly. Best of luck and fingers crossed you get in!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do any current first year students know the cost of textbooks and course materials for SLT courses, this would be very helpful - thanks!
Original post by jenn12345
Do any current first year students know the cost of textbooks and course materials for SLT courses, this would be very helpful - thanks!

Hi

I have just finished my second year - not really spent a lot on books - most are available online or in the library. I did invest in a few for my own personal use but didn't spend a huge amount. You could go stupid and buy all the recommended reading but it's pretty pointless as the list is rather long for each of the units you cover and you tend to dip in and out of them rather than reading cover to cover.

I did pay a nominal fee to attend an Introduction to Makaton course and a few other talks given at the Speech Society (on things like stammering etc).

The only other expenses are really travel costs for placements - but you get this back later when you submit your claim to the NHS bursary people but this can take a few weeks or so.
Original post by AmyPilot
Hi

I have just finished my second year - not really spent a lot on books - most are available online or in the library. I did invest in a few for my own personal use but didn't spend a huge amount. You could go stupid and buy all the recommended reading but it's pretty pointless as the list is rather long for each of the units you cover and you tend to dip in and out of them rather than reading cover to cover.

I did pay a nominal fee to attend an Introduction to Makaton course and a few other talks given at the Speech Society (on things like stammering etc).

The only other expenses are really travel costs for placements - but you get this back later when you submit your claim to the NHS bursary people but this can take a few weeks or so.

Thank you this is so so useful!
Original post by jenn12345
Thank you this is so so useful!

No worries - happy to help!

Hope your exams are going well/have gone well - let the dreaded countdown to results day begin. Think I am still traumatised by the stress of all that even though its two years ago lol :colondollar:
Had a letter through for an occupational health assessment cos of my disability. Kind of terrified.

Quick Reply

Latest