The Student Room Group

What's the difference between 6th form and college?

I'm so confused 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
A 6th form may be attached to a school; a college will not be.

A 6th form will prepare 16-18/19 year olds for university entrance; a college will do the same but as well prepare a wider range of students for a wider range of qualifications.
Reply 2
As Cambio said, 6th forms tend to be attached to secondary schools (although mine wasn't).

6th forms focus more on teaching AS/A2 levels to school leavers, where colleges focus more on BTEC's and apprenticeships.
i go to 'sixth form college' :tongue:
Reply 4
I was just getting confused as I thought it was something different. It's actually pretty similar.
We have sixth form but it's attached to a school and most people just move up, so we don't have to apply to it or anything. We also still have to wear uniforms and stuff.
We have regional colleges which do A-Levels, BTEC, NVQs and Foundation degrees.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
A sixth form is an institution that offers A-levels and it's for 16-19 (most are part with secondary schools). A college is just an instituion, and come in many types (e.g. art, sixth form, university, open)
Original post by SLClegg
As Cambio said, 6th forms tend to be attached to secondary schools (although mine wasn't).

6th forms focus more on teaching AS/A2 levels to school leavers, where colleges focus more on BTEC's and apprenticeships.

Yeahhh my college doesn't focus on BTEC's and apprenticeships.
Which one would you find better?
colleges have longer days, 9am-5pm - but you have more freedom in a sense, you can walk in and out of the building, whereas some sixth forms treat you like little children and don't allow you to leave the site. Schools are better - they provide you with the materials, text books etc - whereas in college you're completely independent.
That's just my opinion - i attended a school sixth form.
Original post by samina_ay
colleges have longer days, 9am-5pm - but you have more freedom in a sense, you can walk in and out of the building, whereas some sixth forms treat you like little children and don't allow you to leave the site. Schools are better - they provide you with the materials, text books etc - whereas in college you're completely independent.
That's just my opinion - i attended a school sixth form.

not where i live??

College students near me go like twice a week bruh
well i go to a sixth form college
got the best of both worlds
Original post by judogainz
not where i live??

College students near me go like twice a week bruh

good for them then eh
Reply 12
Original post by Vikingninja
Yeahhh my college doesn't focus on BTEC's and apprenticeships.

Tbh, each college is different and will put more emphasis on different types of qualifications. Some may be A-level but general trend is colleges offer more NVQs where sixth form offers more a-level subjects. Both a equally good though.
Are you expected to go on to university after sixth form? Can you still move on to apprenticeships or to jobs?
Reply 14
Original post by Libbysmith31
Are you expected to go on to university after sixth form? Can you still move on to apprenticeships or to jobs?

You've revived a rather old thread :smile:

But to answer the question, no you don't have to go on to university. It's entirely up to you where you progress to. Apprenticeships are available after Sixth Form if that's the route you want to take.
Legend says OP is still confused after 2 years .
Original post by Doonesbury
You've revived a rather old thread :smile:

But to answer the question, no you don't have to go on to university. It's entirely up to you where you progress to. Apprenticeships are available after Sixth Form if that's the route you want to take.

Thanks for replying so soon!
I just posted a thread giving a general background of what I want to do and which subjects I'm taking.
If you're interested in helping I'd really appreciate it!
Reply 17
what if i had bad gcse grades which would be a better place to boost my grades back up

Quick Reply

Latest