The Student Room Group

Mobile Phones - Contract or PAYG?

For those who pay for their own phones in university, which is better, a phone on contract or pay as you go?
Original post by odetosleep
For those who pay for their own phones in university, which is better, a phone on contract or pay as you go?

All depends on which phone you wanted really, i got an iphone 5c on contract when it was on offer as i couldnt pay the whole price for the phone on pay as you go at that time.

PAYG and sim only contracts are universally cheaper. Of course if you want a flagship tier phone then the the cost of buying that is likely to be very high and is the main reason people go onto expensive contracts, but these days there's loads of great phones that can be picked up at very reasonable prices (here's my choices for £0-£150 and £200-£300) which combined with a good value sim card can save you hundreds of pounds year.

I'm on pay as you go, for me it's much cheaper. I can get wifi almost all the time (pretty much every university building has it now, as do most public buildings). Three's pay as you go is 1p a mb which means I spend around £5 a month with my current usage, and as it's completely flexible if I need slightly more data one month I'll pay more accordingly. I rarely use calls or texts.

Also, if I'm out of the country for an extended period of time it's good not to be wasting money on a UK contract which won't be of any use.
Reply 4
I use giffgaff (http://giffgaff.com/orders/affiliate/gamal12) because its cheap
Reply 5
Depends on whether you're after a flagship phone or a budget-mid range phone. I have a mid-range smartphone which I bought on a PAYG tariff, it worked out cheaper over two years than getting the equivalent of my tariff on a contract.
I lived away from home for uni and called home fairly often; so it was cheaper to go on to contract.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending