The Student Room Group

Help! I don't know what I'm doing!

Okay, so I'll try to make this as short as possible...I've decided finally that I would like to go to uni and I would like to study animation or illustration at AUB (Arts University Bournemouth). I'm in my second year at college at Brockenhurst studying English Literature (AS), Psychology (A2) and Graphic Design (A2) I picked up the AS because I failed my last AS, my grades sucked for AS for some reason, I was being told I was doing fine and getting good grades on all my mocks but my actual grades when I opened them were really bad! I know I wasn't the only one as a lot of people had the same thing but it still sucked...

I got a D (1 mark of a C apparently) for Graphics, an E in psychology and a U in the one that I dropped...

So now I'm carrying on with 2 A2's and one AS, but my college is really unhelpful and not clear at all :s the courses that I have looked at on the AUB site and the entry requirements for the course are BBB at A-Level or BBC...(280-300 UCAS tariff points) How the hell am I ever gonna get those grades given the grades I got last year, I was told that the lowest I got on the mocks for psychology was a C, I was told my work in graphics was a B or an A and in my other subject it was a strong B, so how I ended up failing one and scrapping through with the other two I don't know!

I really really want to go to this Uni but i don't know how I'll ever get in...I didn't change anything I was told I was doing fine so I just carried on I felt the exams went quite well and then got those grades. I got an A at GCSE for my english subjects so I picked up english literature.

I would redo all my courses and start again, but I don't want to do that and be told I'm doing just fine and then end up with the same results again! I don't know what I did wrong and the college don't either so thats not helpful at all...they said the grade boundaries moved but that doesn't really help?

Could anyone give me any advice given my current situation? Do I just need to earn 280-300 points to get in or must I have 3 solid A-Levels that are BBB or BBC and above?

Should I drop psychology which I seem to be struggling with for something else? But then I'd have to start at AS so would that effect my points and do I have to have all A-Levels? or can they be high graded As's?

I'm so confused, my college is no help at all, and I don't really know what I should do, all I know is that I want to get in :s

Thanks in advance to any help thats given
Reply 1
Original post by georgiewhitez10
Okay, so I'll try to make this as short as possible...I've decided finally that I would like to go to uni and I would like to study animation or illustration at AUB (Arts University Bournemouth). I'm in my second year at college at Brockenhurst studying English Literature (AS), Psychology (A2) and Graphic Design (A2) I picked up the AS because I failed my last AS, my grades sucked for AS for some reason, I was being told I was doing fine and getting good grades on all my mocks but my actual grades when I opened them were really bad! I know I wasn't the only one as a lot of people had the same thing but it still sucked...

I got a D (1 mark of a C apparently) for Graphics, an E in psychology and a U in the one that I dropped...

So now I'm carrying on with 2 A2's and one AS, but my college is really unhelpful and not clear at all :s the courses that I have looked at on the AUB site and the entry requirements for the course are BBB at A-Level or BBC...(280-300 UCAS tariff points) How the hell am I ever gonna get those grades given the grades I got last year, I was told that the lowest I got on the mocks for psychology was a C, I was told my work in graphics was a B or an A and in my other subject it was a strong B, so how I ended up failing one and scrapping through with the other two I don't know!

I really really want to go to this Uni but i don't know how I'll ever get in...I didn't change anything I was told I was doing fine so I just carried on I felt the exams went quite well and then got those grades. I got an A at GCSE for my english subjects so I picked up english literature.

I would redo all my courses and start again, but I don't want to do that and be told I'm doing just fine and then end up with the same results again! I don't know what I did wrong and the college don't either so thats not helpful at all...they said the grade boundaries moved but that doesn't really help?

Could anyone give me any advice given my current situation? Do I just need to earn 280-300 points to get in or must I have 3 solid A-Levels that are BBB or BBC and above?

Should I drop psychology which I seem to be struggling with for something else? But then I'd have to start at AS so would that effect my points and do I have to have all A-Levels? or can they be high graded As's?

I'm so confused, my college is no help at all, and I don't really know what I should do, all I know is that I want to get in :s

Thanks in advance to any help thats given

Heya! I'm really sorry to hear about your results (especially from a fellow animator hopefull). I know that because AUB is a very creative university, they may be more accepting of students with lower grades, assuming your portfolio is excellent. It may be worth completing a Foundation degreee in art and design before applying to university. This way, when it comes to applying to AUB, you have a very diverse and interesting portfolio and hopefully a good enough grade to get into AUB easily :smile: I know that Falmouth does a brilliant one if you're looking for a place to start. All the best!! Hope to see you animating at uni next year :biggrin:
Art foundation courses carry a lot of Ucas points and will be invaluable for art degrees at university.

Quick Reply

Latest