The Student Room Group

Truth is stranger than fiction.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NHM713
I can give you a subject, Quantum physics.

Yeah, that isn't truth, that's perception.

:eek: physics......i can't do physics......:vroam:
Reply 21
Original post by CoolCavy
:eek: physics......i can't do physics......:vroam:

There you go.
Original post by NHM713
There you go.

yes i'm off now....:run: physics scares me :s-smilie:
Reply 24
Original post by CoolCavy
idk, how can truth be stranger than fiction when fiction is false and truth is socially acceptable and thus not new/strange :s-smilie:

I think quote is more getting at how things, both significant and insignificant, happen to us in life that appear to have no reason, or for reasons we just can't fathom.

Whereas with fiction, there's a story and thus an underlying reason to everything, and any story is always constrained to a set of possible outcomes, whereas life seemingly has no constraints to the possible outcomes (which is why random and inexplicable things can happen to us).
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by MAINE.
I think quote is more getting at how things, both significant and insignificant, happen to us in life that appear to have no reason, or for reasons we just can't fathom.

Whereas with fiction, there's a story and thus an underlying reason to everything, and any story is always constrained to a set of possible outcomes, whereas life seemingly has no constraints to the possible outcomes (which is why random and inexplicable things can happen to us).

what an excellent reply, very well explained :hat2:
We aren't familiar with the truth. We lie to each other every single day. Lies always travel around the world. That's why.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
Original post by skunkboy
We aren't familiar with the truth. We lie to each other every single day. Lies always travel around the world. That's why.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But, lies are a distortion of the truth and if that going around the world, imagine the effect it's having on us, the planet and who knows what else. It's a ripple effect, it doesn't just disappear.
Reply 28
fiction is almost predictable, whereas life has a variety of growing variables?
Reply 29
Original post by jlwman_
fiction is almost predictable, whereas life has a variety of growing variables?

Oh come on, have some confidence, fiction is predictable. Yes, I agree, why are we so used to fiction then?
Reply 30
Basically in works of fiction, most events are predictable and happen for a reason. In real life however, stuff happens for seemingly no reason whatsoever. Personally I think the statement only holds true because we aren't fully aware of how the world works.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by Andy98
Basically in works of fiction, most events are predictable and happen for a reason. In real life however, stuff happens for seemingly no reason whatsoever. Personally I think the statement only holds true because we aren't fully aware of the world works.

Posted from TSR Mobile

they are predictable even before you have opened the book, but, obviously not to you. It's already been planned, arranged and set out. Kind of like how live is atm.

That is true, and why aren't you/we aware of hoe the world works?
Reply 32
Original post by NHM713
Oh come on, have some confidence, fiction is predictable. Yes, I agree, why are we so used to fiction then?

I'm not sure, maybe because its comforting or something lol
Reply 33
Original post by jlwman_
I'm not sure, maybe because its comforting or something lol

Yeah, your on to something there. Like why do we need comforting?
Reply 34
Original post by NHM713
Yeah, your on to something there. Like why do we need comforting?

Without comfort anxiety arises forcing our brains to work in overdrive relentlessly.. and who wants that right?
Reply 35
Original post by jlwman_
Without comfort anxiety arises forcing our brains to work in overdrive relentlessly.. and who wants that right?

don't you think we are doing that already, with a our 9-5, 40 hour a week jobs, bills to pay, errands to run etc and if we are not doing that, we are too busy think about chasing pleasure and entertainment of all forms, right?
Reply 36
Original post by NHM713
don't you think we are doing that already, with a our 9-5, 40 hour a week jobs, bills to pay, errands to run etc and if we are not doing that, we are too busy think about chasing pleasure and entertainment of all forms, right?

People even seek comfort in the working world, by having that 9-5 it gives stability therefore a sense of comfort.. most people wouldn't think of actively looking for a new job once they've settled in. but yeah i agree.. the more responsibilities you take on the more your ideology changes on the comfort scale i guess.. I would like to remain free forever lol
Reply 37
Original post by jlwman_
People even seek comfort in the working world, by having that 9-5 it gives stability therefore a sense of comfort.. most people wouldn't think of actively looking for a new job once they've settled in. but yeah i agree.. the more responsibilities you take on the more your ideology changes on the comfort scale i guess.. I would like to remain free forever lol

Yeah, but, people can lose there jobs, so where's the stability or comfort in that?

Yeah, but, what makes you so sure your free right now?
Reply 38
Original post by NHM713
Yeah, but, people can lose there jobs, so where's the stability or comfort in that?

Yeah, but, what makes you so sure your free right now?

Because I've experienced what incarceration is unfortunately.. and this may not be truly free.. but it is the best out of a bad hand..

I guess the stability is with finances, as you have the ability to save them and atleast have a form of contingency plan if things do take a turn for the worst.
Byron was misquoted... he actually said "Ruth is no stranger to friction."

Ruth was his latest squeeze; she liked a brisk rub down.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending