The Student Room Group

My new job at a Café (hopefully!)

I handed in a CV in a bright yellow envelope to a cafe a couple of weeks ago.. They rang me back and told me I could start on Saturday (the Saturday just gone), it would be a (paid) trial day.

So Saturday came and I started my job, the owners girlfriend told me that she didn't even know who I was and she had no clue i was coming but Saturday's are really busy and they have chucked me in at the deep end, working in a cafe is not for everyone and the ONE thing I have to make sure is that when I'm taking the drinks out, none of them spill down the side of the cup - otherwise they have to be taken back and remade - and that would be costing them money. Also whenever I take a drink out I have to make sure I clear tables on the way back ect..

I was trying my best to be as efficient as I could (my mind was riddled with anxiety because I'm SO clumsy!) I started at 10, and when they rang me the week before they said it would be 10-5. I asked one of the other waitresses if I was able to have a break (not yet just sometime in the day) and she said no they just eat on the job.

Another new girl who had started last week came in at 11, she got put on the till so she could start learning that, but when it got busy she would have to help with the drinks. All the drinks were taken out hot, nothing went wrong (except when I was clearing a table that had a lot of plates on it and there was a glass (which I thought was empty) which I tilted slightly whilst trying to pick up the plates. Turns out it had water in it and it went all over the table. Just my luck that as soon as that happened a couple wanted to sit at that exact spot so I said I would clear it up but the owners girlfriend saw and came over, she was very angry and shouted for me to get a cloth.

As it was getting a little quieter after the lunch rush I offered to wash up, I started by picking up all the tissues and sugar packets from the plates because I was told they would break the dishwasher. As soon as I picked them up she shouted that I was too slow and just to leave it. I was confused because there was no customers waiting for drinks, and if there was there was another 2 waitresses standing by the till (not including the new girl who was on the till) I thought that I could have used the quiet time to learn how the dishwasher worked and try to pick up the pace.

A couple of hours went by and it started to get busy again as the late lunch-ers came in, then it died down and was quiet again, I overheard the owners girlfriend say that she was going to let one of us go, by that time there was me, the other new girl, and 2 other waitresses standing by the till waiting. She called me over and told me I could leave 2 hours early, that I was slow, and that I should come back next week to see how I go.

I was just wondering if I should be upset (because I am) as because it was quietening down that would have been my chance to pick up the pace without the pressure of so many customers. But instead they kept the other 3 girls who were faster, instead of sending home one quick girl and for me to become faster because of the extra experience.

Any thoughts on this, I would be grateful! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending