The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've got to disagree... time and again I'm being told (at Shefield Hallam) PRIMARY MATERIAL, PRIMARY MATERIAL and PRIMARY MATERIAL are the necessary and required sources. In all honestly - during semester 2 I have probaly only referred to a textbook in Contract and Consitutional a handful of times - I can't remember the last time I did so in Contract? I would agree - Comparative law, for example, is very much a different game altogether - textbooks are my main port of call but again, we're told that in our answers it is reference to the primary material (direct reference to the consitutions and the formative cases) that they are looking for in the exam.

Practically all of my revision and semester 2 notes have come from Statutes (UCTA 1977, SGA 1979 and SGSA 1982) and cases... textbooks and journal articles have been referred to a handful of times.

Constitutional - CASES, CASES and the PUBLIC ORDER ACT 1986... Several journal articles for Jackson, Factortamé, Thoburn - but no text books AT ALL. In fact, I picked the text book up last night, leafed through the section on Parliamentary Sovereignty and tossed it aside. I'm dying for a question to come up on Parliamentary Sovereignty because I feel my thoughts, reflections and opinion on the concept go far deeper and further than any text book or journal article. I've pulled bits form all over to develop this line of thinking but the majority of it has come from reading the judgements in numerous cases but especially Thoburn and Jackson, considering it all in relation to Dicey's view - the time at which Dicey established his opinion and then considering where the ECA 1972 (esp. Factortamé) and the ECHR/HRA1998 have left us; even bringing in the "Poll Tax" issue. Very little of that has come form a text book... its come from reading the primary material and tossing it all around in my own head.

I don't think I've once been overly encouraged to find the answer in a text book. Even in Comparative, when I have emailed the lecturer with a question, 9 times out of 10 he sends me back a long answer coupled with a link to a relevant case/s on the Findlaw site.

So I do disagree with your implication that non-oxbridge universities do not emphasise primary materials.

**I lie - I do remember the last time I called on text books in Contract - DOZENS OF THEM!!! SGSA 82 and the SG 1979 and how they operate when there is a sale of goods and a contract for work - few of them were of much help... CWTF's book did help immensely! In fact, I still have it and it is one textbook that I will be referring to in my revision on SGA/SGSA/SSGCR!
Fireman John
CWTF's book did help immensely! In fact, I still have it and it is one textbook that I will be referring to in my revision on SGA/SGSA/SSGCR!

He is on a very special commercial/consumer law jet-set at the moment but I am sure he will be pleased to have helped on returning.:tsr2:
I think its important not to generalise too much by university or, indeed, subject. E.g., in administrative law I've been told to mainly focus on the articles and use the cases in that way; whereas in tort / equity it is much more heavily focused on the case law. Anyone who can get tort down to 50 cases is truly impressive! On a different (but not too disimilar) note can anyone think of some good tips to get from 67% to 70%? (this thread seems to be full of inspiration, so I'm hoping something original might crop up!)
Reply 123
tomcoolinguk
I think its important not to generalise too much by university or, indeed, subject. E.g., in administrative law I've been told to mainly focus on the articles and use the cases in that way; whereas in tort / equity it is much more heavily focused on the case law. Anyone who can get tort down to 50 cases is truly impressive! On a different (but not too disimilar) note can anyone think of some good tips to get from 67% to 70%? (this thread seems to be full of inspiration, so I'm hoping something original might crop up!)

Hmmm... that's a tricky one. Last year I tried sleeping with the examiners, but I got performance anxiety. This was especially so with the male examiners. So I wouldn't recommend this method.

Try attaching a £10 note with a paper clip to your exam script. That should be good for a 3% boost. I am of the opinion that £50 will get you a starred First.

Good luck! :p:
At cambridge maybe... the place where your money can make your BA magically become an MA :wink:.
Reply 125
Damnit! Do I have to pay for my MA?? I don't reckon it's worth the £10 administration fee - I'm going to negotiate a discount. :p:
Um at Oxford you have to go so many years after matriculation without being arrested, M.A sign of an honest man/women. Well it does actually tell you something, I'd be dubious of those who had not upgraded. I wish mine could be an M.C.L instead of B.C.L so they knew I was an honest women.
Lol Solemn I know. Why did you get so uptight about it? I don't think it's a bad practice, just find it amusing.
Erm, I've given up on having a timetable because I never keep it. I've just made a list of stuff I need to do in the next four weeks and as Fireman_John said, make ordered and logical notes.
Reply 129
LawQueen
Erm, I've given up on having a timetable because I never keep it. I've just made a list of stuff I need to do in the next four weeks and as Fireman_John said, make ordered and logical notes.
Fireman John hasn't made ordered and logical notes as such. He has adopted Gardner's suggested method and made 5x3 index cards on key cases. This, Fireman John suggests, has made his notes more ordered and logical (which to my mind mean the same thing).
My only two exams are 2nd/3rd of May, however by the beauty of open book exams I don't need to start revising until after I get my damn human rights in asia takehome done first... needless to say, the questions are horrible.
Tory_boy
Fireman John hasn't made ordered and logical notes as such. He has adopted Gardner's suggested method and made 5x3 index cards on key cases. This, Fireman John suggests, has made his notes more ordered and logical (which to my mind mean the same thing).

Well fair enough, I picked up on the characteristics of ordered and logical which I aim for in revision:smile:
I hate EU exams! There is no order or logic to the course in EU I am doing this term. It's horrific!

Any tips?
Really? Ours was pretty logical... semester one was a little bit random because the principles were all so inter-linked you ddidn't really understand it all until the end! Sem 2 though it was just "goods, services, people, establishment, competition"... don't get much more clear cut. Like land: "licences, prop estop, easements, covenants, mortgages"... distinct topics, nice and easy!

Only slightly awkward thing was that when they did polls of questions 50% of people got the answer wrong for what it was about in EU. Normally the difficulty is in the difference between services and establishment which in some of their examples were very blurry! However, the wrong pricniplces chosen and you were pretty screwed, lol.
We are currently doing your semester 2 one. However, it has been incredibly badly taught. So I am left without ANY lecture notes and a rather confused look on my face! :frown:
I suggest revision begins in earnest!
The beauty is that we are allow a case list and handout into the exam. So, I perhaps have a little more time to get the enthusiasm going. It's just a **** course really. The annoying thing is that I think i'd rather enjoy it if it was well taught!
EU is horrible, out of the 150 taking it, my 70% was the only first in the year. In all fairness the coursework brought it up a couple of marks. Tips, if there is any do a good piece of coursework or just suffer!
lol - no coursework :frown: Any alternative tips?
Work damn hard... I thought I'd destroyed EU compared to land but didn't get a first for it. Saying that though, it's notoriously the harshest marked module at Nottingham with only 35% of people getting 60% or more last year! I actaully found it to be a very enjoyable module (Eventually), especially the sem 2 stuff for us. So that is my best tip, try and enjoy it!

Latest

Trending

Trending