The Student Room Group

Could someone recommend a cheap car insurance firm for a first time driver

Recently passed and now I am basically looking for a cheap quote. The cheapest I found so-far is for £1800 (annual premium).
Also is it doable to completly rely on student finance when it comes to getting a cheap car to drive back and forth to university or would it be better to just wait and get a job in the future?
I am not planning on getting a job right now (may consider a weekend job) as I would like to just focus on my studies.
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Go on Compare the Market and it will give you a long list of quotes. If you can, try and add your parents to your insurance policy as that will reduce the price as well (so long as they don't have any speeding tickets or anything). I rely on student finance to insure my car because I commute but if you're living on campus then you need to make sure you have enough for rent and to live off of.
I use Money Supermarket and and Confused. These are my breakdowns by using one of those comparison websites:

Express Insurance: 1700 annual (I know..)
Admiral: £720 annual
1st Central: £660 annual
Hastings: £417 annual

Before you do - clear your website cookies after each comparison search.

My tip: always change your insurance company every year as SOON as you possibly can. I buy new insurance 30 days before the current one runs out as the earlier you do it, the less it will cost as if you leave it until the last minute, the comparison premium will rise.

Get a small car (between group 1 and 3): possibly a 1, 1.2 or 1.3 litre engine. A Toyota Aygo is economical and cheap insurance, but if the budget doesn't allow, then a Corsa, KA, Clio, etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending