The Student Room Group

My Short Stories - Your Favourite ?

Poll

My Creative Writing - You Decide

For those of you that have read (and for those who have Not ! or maybe not yet read) the threads with my own creative literary work ...

Of the 3 short stories composed by me that I have posted on TSR so far, which one is your own favourite / which one do (or did) you personally like or enjoy the most ?
Or ... which one do you consider as the best of the three (if any ... lol) ?
Everyone is very welcome to take part and vote in my Poll.
I hope you will enjoy !
Many thanks to everyone for participating in the vote and for your opinion and contribution (if any). Your views and individual preferences are greatly appreciated.

If you wish to quickly find and read the stories, please click the required link(s) below ...

The PLANET OF DREAMS : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3321991

The LAST DAY OF AUTUMN : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3321997

THE BEAR AND THE HUNTERS (The Magical Forest) : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3609909
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am yet to decide which one is my own personal favourite. LOL.
But maybe it is better for me not to influence anyone else's vote anyway. :redface:
Reply 2
I have made a decision on my own preference by now and have submitted the first vote. But I am not yet revealing my personal choice.
Reply 3
Really curious to see whether or not my own favourite one wins in the poll ...
Reply 4
Any votes for the other short stories or one of them ?
Reply 5
I wonder how quickly we can get to 10 votes, to begin with !
Reply 6
I see I now have the first vote from the general public - and it is for "The Bear And The Hunters". Cool.
Thank You to the user who submitted it !
Reply 7
Original post by Vlad83
I see I now have the first vote from the general public - and it is for "The Bear And The Hunters". Cool.
Thank You to the user who submitted it !

You're welcome. :woo: I hope more people vote. ^-^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Anon_98
You're welcome. :woo: I hope more people vote. ^-^

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you! I hope so too.
WOO .. indeed ! He he he.
Reply 9
The Planet Of Dreams and The Bear And The Hunters are currently tied with 1 vote each. Hmm...
Ain't nobody got time to go on your profile and search up your stories, post them on your original post and put them under spoilers
Reply 11
Original post by Starvation13
Ain't nobody got time to go on your profile and search up your stories, post them on your original post and put them under spoilers

Many thanks for the suggestion, cool !
Well yes, that could be the case. But these are too long, the texts, to post under spoilers and besides I would not really want to duplicate my submissions sort of, by posting the stories again.
But yes sure, my creative writing that is the subject of the poll, is all here in my thread history... Sorry if any inconvenience. :redface:
Original post by Vlad83
Many thanks for the suggestion, cool !
Well yes, that could be the case. But these are too long, the texts, to post under spoilers and besides I would not really want to duplicate my submissions sort of, by posting the stories again.
But yes sure, my creative writing that is the subject of the poll, is all here in my thread history... Sorry if any inconvenience. :redface:

Lol no need to say sorry to me. It's probably the reason why so few are voting. Just post them again lol, no1's gonna hang you. Post them in individual posts on ehre then link them from the OP
Reply 13
Original post by Starvation13
Lol no need to say sorry to me. It's probably the reason why so few are voting. Just post them again lol, no1's gonna hang you. Post them in individual posts on ehre then link them from the OP

He he he ... :smile:
That is cool. Yes could be the reason. Thanks for the useful suggestions. I might think about it.
Reply 14
I am still not able to establish a clear winner so far ... Mhm ...
Reply 15
More votes still accepted. No less curious to see how it will go !
A few observations but you may not like them, so don't open the spoiler if you would prefer not to have critical feedback.

Spoiler

I suppose, based on those three, the second one would be my pick.
Reply 17
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
A few observations but you may not like them, so don't open the spoiler if you would prefer not to have critical feedback.

Spoiler

I suppose, based on those three, the second one would be my pick.

Ohh.. I must say your spoiler has really totally destroyed me, I was knocked out. :frown:
But now that I have re gained my consciousness ...
Seriously ... Thank you so much for all your time and effort you spent reading my stories (and for submitting your vote) and writing such a detailed feedback ! Very grateful, really - really much appreciated indeed.
And no, that is absolutely fine, please do not worry, I was not offended at all, and I actually do appreciate feedback - a critical one included. It is quite fulfilling and gives one some sort of satisfaction to receive an elaborate reaction from an objective reader in respect of my work and creative attempts and compositions.
It is nice to see a reaction from the outside - how another person perceives my writing and my imagination.
I am glad and pleased that you like "The Last Day Of Autumn".
And I would certainly agree with you at least on a number of points you have made there. I do understand "where you are coming from", and I would say your observations are quite fair - and I would recognize the aspects you have pointed out.
What you said is valuable, and thank you so much for your useful helpful advice and constructive suggestions you gave me there. Grateful for your involvement and for being so engaging in respect of my thread.
As to your advice regarding attempting writing prose in my native language, I actually wrote quite a number of things in my own language in the past, mainly as a child whilst already living abroad (but my first literary attempts were I think at the age of 8, in the early 1990's). I then wrote a bit in my early teens and then once again occasionally in the late teens and my early twenties. Yes, I suppose short stories and fairy tales were my main "specialization". So I do already have literary experience in my native language ! I did write some creative essays in English whilst at a British school in London as a teenager, but it has only been now over the recent years that I made a bit more serious attempt at composing my own creative writing in English (which is before you now, obviously).
I wrote some poems too by the way (both in my own language and in English).
Yes, English is my second language indeed. But I did an English A Level in the past and then completed university in London. But of course I do realize my English is not perfect and understandably not on a level of a native speaker (so not really surprised that it was apparent when reading).
Apologies that my stories were occasionally difficult to read (because of grammar etc - and my sentences being too complicated). But it is actually my personal style to write in long or complex sentences and I have been quite aware of that myself for quite long now.
As to the stories themselves...
Yes sure I agree "The Planet Of Dreams" was mostly descriptive in nature. And yes.. might not be a proper story, quite true. I just meant to express the things and create the imagery I had in mind and aimed to express and show the reader.
As to "The Bear And The Hunters" ... well, I would say I deliberately made it sound somewhat bizarre. It was one of the ideas behind this particular story (or one of the defining factors making it unique).. if you like. I did intend to write it in that sort of style, and I did try and use Humour there. And the Bear pouring hot water from a kettle to wake the hunter up, was one example of that. This is intended to show the Bear is "stupid" and clumsy.. but this is meant to come across as cute, touching and even to make you smile or laugh. Hence probably this sort of style and making it a bit bizarre at times.
As this is a fairy tale indeed, I would not really focus on the fact the man may have sustained serious burns - after all this is The Magical Forest, a tale, all a bit surreal if you like.
And I mean.. yes I would say my main intention has always been to write for my own pleasure and self expression and my own entertainment in the first place. And .. to say or create what I had to say or create. But if I could manage and happen to actually engage the reader (as you say) and make them interested, then that is cool too - and all the better of course.
And being "brutally honest" was really fine with me ! :redface:
You are quite right - it pays to work on that and improve yourself and your writing and develop it and your experience, good advice there. Thanks for your "positive" appraisal too by the way.
Thank you for your wishes. Best of luck to you too !
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 18
I now have all 3 stories tied - with one vote each. Pretty decisive ! :biggrin: .. Seriously though.. This is exciting, I have to say. But which one will come out ahead at this - or the next - stage ?.. I almost cannot wait.
Reply 19
Still no decisive overwhelming breakthrough for any one of my stories.
But Your votes can certainly change that ! Let's Go !!

Quick Reply

Latest