The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The kind of answer that they are looking for has to be cliched really though, doesn't it? Purely because its your personal reasons which usually involve strong elements of feelings and relevant life events etc.
I know, the feeling however its sort of a balancing act between sounding passionate and not giving a sob-story/sounding like being a lawyer is the very essence of your being.
Reply 2
It's best just to be honest, though maybe leave out the money part! Just think about those aspects of the job that make a career in law unique, e.g. client contact, problem solving and talk about why those appeal to you.
Reply 3
I suppose the best answer would be one that was innovative and thoughtful rather than the standard one the interviewer is going to hear from everyone that they ask the question to.
Reply 4
don't worry about sounding conceited; confidence is a good thing, just not arrogance. mention the firm's prestige and that the money is good by all means; your interviewer is only human and it was probably the first thing that went through their head back in the day too!
when asked why i wanted a career in law, i rather arrogantly stated to my interviewer 'because i think i'd be very good at it'. that was enough of a reason for her to give me a job.
Reply 5
lil_jon
when asked why i wanted a career in law, i rather arrogantly stated to my interviewer 'because i think i'd be very good at it'. that was enough of a reason for her to give me a job.

That's brilliant - I always wanted to say things like that but never had the balls to do it!
Reply 6
I've always just been completely honest. My personal answer to 'why law?' is pretty typical, and I've always preferred to be upfront and practical rather than embellish the truth so heavily that an interviewer begins to doubt your integrity.
Reply 7
I agree with Lauren18. I've always done relatively well in interviews and my friends have come out after interviews going "EEK!! What would you say your opinion was on x??" And my answer is always "Whatever my opinion IS on x!"! Similarly for pupillage interviews everyone always wants to know what you should ask as your "question" at the end - the only time I ever asked a question was when I asked "France or Italy?" before the World Cup final! Got the job...:smile:
Reply 8
LOL. You asked your interviewer who they thought would win the world cup final? Genius.
Why not... building a personal rapport with the interviewer is probably the single most important thing about being in there. Showing that you're more than a drone who has drilled themselves with set answers is very important and good questions like that are great for it!
Reply 10
I think the interviewer(s) were probably more impressed with Julia's wit/thoughtfulness rather than thinking it was i) a good question to ask per se ii) humour/wit was something they were looking for in the answer to that particular question.

Also building a personal connection with your interviewer is less important than showing you like/building a connection with the firm itself. Ones dispensable the other is less dispensable.
It's the interviewers who decide your fate - impressing them is more important in the short run. If you show you can bond with them, then since they work for the firm, provided you show a willingness to get on with lots of different people and have a good sociable attitude then one follows fromthe other...
Reply 12
I agree with Lewis - the key to interview success is really to build a good rapport with the interviewers and to bring your application to life, demonstrating that you would succeed with the firm both in work terms and in the relationships you develop.

The interviewers hold your fate in their hands and so it doesn't matter how much you might connect with the firm in your mind, if the interviewers don't like you the odds are you'll be binned. If your interviewer likes you it follows that you will fit well within the firm.
Reply 13
I think generally in interviews, you have to be yourself. There would be little point in essentially reading out a script in answering questions, getting a vac scheme offer but then being a bit of a disappointment on the scheme itself when you don't live up to the firm's expecations of you.

If you just try to ignore nerves and forget what people tell you should/should not say and stick with what you genuinely think, you know that when the result of the interview comes it is beneficial either way. Thankfully, I've had interviews at Baker & McKenzie for their international summer placement, and at Simmons & Simmons for their London scheme and got both of them. If I'd been rejected though, I would still have been happy knowing that I'd been honest and done the best I could; and if the firm had decided I wasn't for them then I would have had no regrets, only useful experience on which to build for the next interview.
Julia Whittaker
I agree with Lauren18. I've always done relatively well in interviews and my friends have come out after interviews going "EEK!! What would you say your opinion was on x??" And my answer is always "Whatever my opinion IS on x!"! Similarly for pupillage interviews everyone always wants to know what you should ask as your "question" at the end - the only time I ever asked a question was when I asked "France or Italy?" before the World Cup final! Got the job...:smile:

That's genius! I remember hearing about someone who asked the interviewers whether they believed in aliens... this was reported by one of the interviewers, who said that was the clincher for that candidate. Be careful, though - you might get someone very straight, who doesn't appreciate that kind of thing.
Reply 15
Lauren18
I've had interviews at Baker & McKenzie for their international summer placement, and at Simmons & Simmons for their London scheme and got both of them.
My hero. Congratulations. :smile:
Lauren18
Thankfully, I've had interviews at Baker & McKenzie for their international summer placement, and at Simmons & Simmons for their London scheme and got both of them.

Wow :eek: Well done!
Reply 17
Thanks! Only downside is that I'll be at B&M for 12 weeks so can't actually do S&S now.. but at least it'll give someone else a chance :smile:
Reply 18
12 weeks?! I didn't think that the international summer placement was that long. Having said that I didn't realy know that much about it to begin with other than its pretty damn hard to get on.
Where you going? HK, Sing?
12 weeks woah! I was under the impression it was 3 in london 3 elsewhere, hence overall 6. 12 is just a little bit too long for my personal tastes, but that's got to be one of the most competitive schemes in the City, congrats!

12 is a little too like IB/other finance sector internships. Putting all your eggs in one basket, so to speak.

Latest

Trending

Trending