The Student Room Group

UNIQ Summer School 2016

Scroll to see replies

Any advice for Economics and Management personal statements? Struggling to perfect it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys,

I'm planning to apply for Oriental Studies in Chinese for my undergraduate course. Since they don't offer it as a summer course, I hope to apply for Linguistics and, as a second choice, Middle Eastern Studies, which also falls under Oriental Studies.

I'm also planning to apply for Cambridge's summer school for Oriental Studies.

Any advice on aspects to focus on in my personal statement?
Original post by chloeabeki
I did Chemistry at UNIQ 2015 so if anyone has any questions about it feel free to ask :biggrin: also if you end up getting LMH as your college, you're in luck. It's a HUGE college, it's beautiful and the food is amazing.

Hi there, I'm hoping on applying for chemistry at UNIQ and was wondering if you had any advice on the personal statement? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 63
Hoping on applying for PPE or Economics, but I want to drop economics as the teachers aren't the greatest to say the least and I find it more interesting teaching it myself but I'd rather go for 4 a-levels.Besides that long winded tangent, does anyone have any advice on personal statements for PPE or Economics. In terms of extra circular stuff, all I've done is go to a couple of lectures, read MIT Review/Economist, extra reading, but it doesn't sound impressive is this enough?
Anyone know how competitive physics is? :/ I know my ACORN score is okay ish but I am still slightly worried.
My school has only ever managed to get one person into Oxford. My polar 3 is 2,2 which is okay as well.
But is okay enough? arghhh I am assuming they narrow it down via Polar, ACORN, and School then look at each personal statement individually. Anyway good luck everyone!
Reply 65
Original post by Pentaquark
Anyone know how competitive physics is? :/ I know my ACORN score is okay ish but I am still slightly worried.
My school has only ever managed to get one person into Oxford. My polar 3 is 2,2 which is okay as well.
But is okay enough? arghhh I am assuming they narrow it down via Polar, ACORN, and School then look at each personal statement individually. Anyway good luck everyone!

there's no point in worrying about all the contextual data, because at the end of the day, if you have good grades and your personal statement shows your passion for the subject you're applying for then they'll want you! my ACORN score was ridiculous - something like 11... and I still got a place! don't think about it; just apply!
Original post by AC57
there's no point in worrying about all the contextual data, because at the end of the day, if you have good grades and your personal statement shows your passion for the subject you're applying for then they'll want you! my ACORN score was ridiculous - something like 11... and I still got a place! don't think about it; just apply!

ah thanks ! I worry too much :frown:
Reply 67
Original post by tyunnos
Hello everyone! I've applied for history as my first choice and archaeology as my second. Has anybody else applied for these?:smile:

I'm in the process of applying but the other way round: archaeology/ancient history as my first choice and history order and freedom as my second
Original post by semise
Hello everyone! I'm interested in chemical engineeong so I'm not really sure which course I should go for:
chemistry/engineering/materials.
Chemistry seems like the best option for chem eng but I've done way more engineering extra curricular activities that I could write on my PS :s
Any advice would be appreciated :smile:
Posted from TSR Mobile

If you have more to write about for engineering then that would be a better option because you can express your passion for it through the extra circular activities you’ve done.
Original post by Amy99
I'm in the process of applying but the other way round: archaeology/ancient history as my first choice and history order and freedom as my second

Oooh great!:smile: I really like the look of both courses. I wasn't sure which to put as my first choice, but, I went for H:O&F because I've read quite a few books I could mention in the PS. Where as with archaeology I've only read a booklet and watched almost every single timeteam :tongue: Would love to study either! Did you include anything like DofE in your PS? I had to cut that out because I ran out of room :frown:
I'm thinking of applying for the English course - I got 3 A*s and 8 As at GCSE (As in English Lit and English Lang respectively). Not sure whether this will be enough because I don't do a lot of extra curricular activities but it's worth a try! I'm also auditioning to be a National Youth Theatre member in February, and if I get in I will have to go on a two week summer course which would overlap with UNIQ. If I get into NYT then that's taking priority!
sorry to be such a pain (I get nervous about things like this) but what is the "UNIQ virtual learning" and have people applied for it? Can't find information on it anywhere!
Original post by Magniloquent
sorry to be such a pain (I get nervous about things like this) but what is the "UNIQ virtual learning" and have people applied for it? Can't find information on it anywhere!

"For students that do not gain a place on UNIQ, we may be offering a virtual learningservice for 2016. This is still to be decided, but all eligible students will be invited by email in May should this service run"
http://www.uniqvle.co.uk/ - it has stuff like help for interviews, check it out! :smile:
Original post by Pentaquark
"For students that do not gain a place on UNIQ, we may be offering a virtual learningservice for 2016. This is still to be decided, but all eligible students will be invited by email in May should this service run"
http://www.uniqvle.co.uk/ - it has stuff like help for interviews, check it out! :smile:

Thank you!! I'm getting so stressed that I might not have looked properly :colondollar:
Hi all,

I was wondering how to actually apply to the UNIQ summer school- i can't find an 'apply' button anywhere...
Reply 75
Original post by phoebeisgreat
Hi all,

I was wondering how to actually apply to the UNIQ summer school- i can't find an 'apply' button anywhere...

Go to 'Applying' then 'About UNIQ' and it is at the bottom of that page
I'm desperate to apply for classics - and I think I'm going for it anyways - but I feel like my teachers will advise me not to bother. I go to a good grammar school and according to ACORN, my area is a 3 (??!! only because my road is full of old people - I think I'm one of 5 people under 30) so in terms of the "access" data, I really don't fit :frown:
Original post by Magniloquent
I'm desperate to apply for classics - and I think I'm going for it anyways - but I feel like my teachers will advise me not to bother. I go to a good grammar school and according to ACORN, my area is a 3 (??!! only because my road is full of old people - I think I'm one of 5 people under 30) so in terms of the "access" data, I really don't fit :frown:

I'd still take a shot at it! All you can do is try really, I don't trust that ACORN score thingy. Oh and if it helps, I know a girl got in a few years back with an ACORN of 4 :smile:
hi, I think I'm having the opposite problem from everyone else! I've applied for beginner languages and I have GCSE grades which are not bad but not necessarily Oxford standard (3A*s, 5As, 4bs) yet my 4Bs are in subjects irrelevant to my course whereas my A*s are in Japanese, Spanish and French. they are definitely on or below average for my school but I have extremely high acorn and polar 3 data (49 and 5 respectively). I'm hoping this could maybe get me onto the course as I teach myself Japanese and Korean?? maybe I'm being a bit over optimistic with my GCSEs hahhaha
Original post by BubbleChi
hi, I think I'm having the opposite problem from everyone else! I've applied for beginner languages and I have GCSE grades which are not bad but not necessarily Oxford standard (3A*s, 5As, 4bs) yet my 4Bs are in subjects irrelevant to my course whereas my A*s are in Japanese, Spanish and French. they are definitely on or below average for my school but I have extremely high acorn and polar 3 data (49 and 5 respectively). I'm hoping this could maybe get me onto the course as I teach myself Japanese and Korean?? maybe I'm being a bit over optimistic with my GCSEs hahhaha

Those GCSEs are fine !! :smile: Your acorn score as well is definitely an advantage!
Isn't for polar 3 the lower the better (more disavantaged)? Anyway you'll be fine especially if your school doesn't send much or any to Oxbridge. If your personal statement shows passion and enthusiasm I wouldn't worry :smile:
I was worrying a lot for my acorn but looking at the stalking page it is quite good.
If you fit the rest of the criteria you have a pretty high chance.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending