The Student Room Group

UNIQ Summer School 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pentaquark
Those GCSEs are fine !! :smile: Your acorn score as well is definitely an advantage!
Isn't for polar 3 the lower the better (more disavantaged)? Anyway you'll be fine especially if your school doesn't send much or any to Oxbridge. If your personal statement shows passion and enthusiasm I wouldn't worry :smile:
I was worrying a lot for my acorn but looking at the stalking page it is quite good.
If you fit the rest of the criteria you have a pretty high chance.

oh yeah sorry I meant 1! it's been a while haha. but thank you, I hope you you get onto the course you hope for, good luck!:biggrin:
Reply 81
Applied for maths :biggrin: Was so fun writing the statement as I think I conveyed my passion really well. :smile:
I've applied for physics as my first choice and maths as my second. My Acorn value is quite low, though, 6, and my grades (5 A*, 4 A, B, C) might not be able to make up for it, but oh well. Good luck, everyone.
Original post by niallbc
Applied for maths :biggrin: Was so fun writing the statement as I think I conveyed my passion really well. :smile:

I'm applying for Maths as well! I've finished writing my personal statement and just sent it over for my teacher to go over it! Have you done any extra curricular activities that you've mentioned in your PS, or any relevant work experience?
Original post by AbstractHeart
I've applied for physics as my first choice and maths as my second. My Acorn value is quite low, though, 6, and my grades (5 A*, 4 A, B, C) might not be able to make up for it, but oh well. Good luck, everyone.

Good luck!! We're in kinda the same position for acorn data, did either of your parents go to university? Because I think they take that into account too
Reply 85
Original post by XxsciencemathsxX
I'm applying for Maths as well! I've finished writing my personal statement and just sent it over for my teacher to go over it! Have you done any extra curricular activities that you've mentioned in your PS, or any relevant work experience?

UKMT, mentioned extra readng a few times too, NCS however not so relevant
On the ACORN application it has a field called 'Company name', and I was wondering what people put in there to get their score.
Original post by Magniloquent
Good luck!! We're in kinda the same position for acorn data, did either of your parents go to university? Because I think they take that into account too

Nope. I think not for a few generations as well. Have yours?
(edited 8 years ago)

I don't think UNIQ take into account parental education. It said that that part of the appication wasn't used to choose students and the information would only be available to the selectors long after the selection process had been completed.
Original post by tyunnos
I don't think UNIQ take into account parental education. It said that that part of the appication wasn't used to choose students and the information would only be available to the selectors long after the selection process had been completed.

you're right, I think I'm getting confused with Sutton trust!! Well at least that's one less criterion I don't fit
Original post by legosass
On the ACORN application it has a field called 'Company name', and I was wondering what people put in there to get their score.

I just put in my school's name :smile:
you're right, I think I'm getting confused with Sutton trust!! Well at least that's one less criterion I don't fit

Haha, see we are both applying to so many things :P Same here:smile:
Reply 92
Original post by niallbc

I was considering applying for stats and maths, I'm a bit clueless as to what to write on my personal statement though! If you don't mind me asking, what type of things did you write about?
Reply 93
I'm thinking of applying to human sciences/ the experimental psycol or stats, really not sure how to show interest I the stament however. Is it just like relating it to what we learn in school? Any advice would be great!
Reply 94
Original post by hann__
I was considering applying for stats and maths, I'm a bit clueless as to what to write on my personal statement though! If you don't mind me asking, what type of things did you write about?

UKMT, lots of further reading and lectures, what id love to gsin from the summer school
anyone else going for law?? soooo stuck on ps :frown:
On UNIQ's website, apparently over 1300 people have applied so far for the 875 space they are offering...this is gonna get competitive....

For everyone's personal statement, are they basing it more on passion or on academic achivements?
I'm applying for physics :biggrin:
Got 6A*s, 3A's and 1B which is no where near as good as some applicants but it was the best in my year group haha

Turns out I have an acorn value of 30 , will this work in my favour or not? (I have no idea what's a high value and what isn't... :/)
Original post by XxsciencemathsxX
On UNIQ's website, apparently over 1300 people have applied so far for the 875 space they are offering...this is gonna get competitive....

For everyone's personal statement, are they basing it more on passion or on academic achivements?

I, personally, am basing it more on passion. The limit on the number of characters is really short 😧 and academic achievements are sorta put in between the ps here and there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone been on the personal statement on the application website and found trouble with the format, because it doesn't stay within the box but moves onto the right and looks weird?? 😲

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending