The Student Room Group

GCSEs

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Skitee
Yeah, I seem to have misunderstood you so I would change my mind and agree with what the poster above says. One thing I would say is that it is a possibility for everyone that they might change their mind during the year and therefore you may find come march you are very happy to do biology. I also know that it is a possibility that anyone can miss out on extremely competitive courses like medicine and Oxford courses and, come march, you could have no offers. I don't care how clever you are: some of the cleverest people I know missed out on any medicine offers and Oxbridge will always be a lottery. Just keep those facts in mind...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, I will. :smile: To be honest, if I don't get medicine offers, I would just reapply anyway so whether I get a fifth offer or not isn't too important. I've done enough research to know that graduate entry is the least desirable option for just about anybody. So, really, it's just a throwaway option either way so I might as well have some fun with it. xD
Original post by Dylan Coulter
your GCSE's need to be good, but all that matters most is your A Levels. Take credible, traditional subjects and have at least A* and the rest A's. Also, with good university's like Oxford and Cambridge, they are not only looking for good academic grades, but a person with many extra-curricular interests and talents which could improve their university. Good luck bro

I just wanted to emphasise what others have said - this is not true.

Oxbridge are only interested in academics, they do not give a rats arse about extracurriculars. Please do not waste time writing about sports and hobbies in your PS. Leave them in a tiddly paragraph near the end.
Original post by Hydeman
Does anybody know how they shortlist candidates for interview for those subjects which don't have an admissions test/submitted work requirement? Would it be just GCSEs or would they use them in conjunction with the personal statement or other part of your application? I'm somewhat confused. :s-smilie:

I see, like me, you are considering applying to Ox for Biological Sciences.

I can tell you a few things I have learned -

1. To decide who gets an interview, they have a GCSE cutoff. If any candidate gets above X A*s at GCSE (they wouldn't say how many X is) and is predicted A*AA at A2, then they are almost guaranteed and interview for BioSci. This is subject wide and applies to all colleges. If someone falls short of this X they can still get an interview if their personal statement and reference indicate they would be a good candidate. 75% of BioSci applicants are interviewed and 25% get an offer. Remember Oxford look at your GCSEs contextually - they compare them to what the average from you school is.

2. If you are putting down Oxford BioSci as a 5th option with 4 medicine applications, there is a high chance they will not look favourably on this. Obviously it varies, but one tutor I spoke to specifically mentioned that they want biologists, not doctors, and that if you make it clear that you are applying for medicine this will put you at a disadvantage.

3. When applying for Biological Sciences at Oxford you get 2 interviews at different colleges, and even after that can still get pooled. So for anyone undecided about applying for it, give it a go I say!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BritishBean
I see, like me, you are considering applying to Ox for Biological Sciences.

I can tell you a few things I have learned -

1. To decide who gets an interview, they have a GCSE cutoff. If any candidate gets above X A*s at GCSE (they wouldn't say how many X is) and is predicted A*AA at A2, then they are almost guaranteed and interview for BioSci. This is subject wide and applies to all colleges. If someone falls short of this X they can still get an interview if their personal statement and reference indicate they would be a good candidate. 75% of BioSci applicants are interviewed and 25% get an offer. Remember Oxford look at your GCSEs contextually - they compare them to what the average from you school is.

Any idea what this cut-off is usually like for Biology? It's a little frustrating that they publish stats for Medicine and not for other subjects! xD I have eight A*s, two As, one B and one C (ashamed of the last two :frown:) I wonder if it would be enough....

I like the applicant to place ratio as well. You're basically competing with only two other people for a place if you make it to interview and you get two shots at it at different colleges. :smile:

2. If you are putting down Oxford BioSci as a 5th option with 4 medicine applications, there is a high chance they will not look favourably on this. Obviously it varies, but one tutor I spoke to specifically mentioned that they want biologists, not doctors, and that if you make it clear that you are applying for medicine this will put you at a disadvantage.

This is what I don't like about Oxford admissions. :/ They never make it clear what they mean: what does 'disadvantage' mean? Does it mean an automatic rejection, a very likely rejection, or a 'we'll see what he's like at interview' type situation? Who knows. I would write a separate personal statement if I could but I can't.

It's especially frustrating because there's one particular tutor who appeared in the official Oxford video for Biological Sciences called Martin Speight who actually says in the video that he encourages people who want to be doctors or vets that they should do a general degree like Biology first. :/ It seems like a lottery, really, given that the admissions tutor you spoke to clearly doesn't share Martin's view:

https://youtu.be/pOtDtK6tHlQ?t=10m9s

3. When applying for Biological Sciences at Oxford you get 2 interviews at different colleges, and even after that can still get pooled. So for anyone undecided about applying for it, give it a go I say!

I love this about Oxford's admissions process -- you can afford to muck up one interview, a luxury not afforded to you by many other universities, where a bad interview can seal your fate. I reckon I'll give it a go and see what happens. :smile:
Original post by Hydeman
Any idea what this cut-off is usually like for Biology? It's a little frustrating that they publish stats for Medicine and not for other subjects! xD I have eight A*s, two As, one B and one C (ashamed of the last two :frown:) I wonder if it would be enough....

I like the applicant to place ratio as well. You're basically competing with only two other people for a place if you make it to interview and you get two shots at it at different colleges. :smile:

This is what I don't like about Oxford admissions. :/ They never make it clear what they mean: what does 'disadvantage' mean? Does it mean an automatic rejection, a very likely rejection, or a 'we'll see what he's like at interview' type situation? Who knows. I would write a separate personal statement if I could but I can't.

It's especially frustrating because there's one particular tutor who appeared in the official Oxford video for Biological Sciences called Martin Speight who actually says in the video that he encourages people who want to be doctors or vets that they should do a general degree like Biology first. :/ It seems like a lottery, really, given that the admissions tutor you spoke to clearly doesn't share Martin's view:

https://youtu.be/pOtDtK6tHlQ?t=10m9s

I love this about Oxford's admissions process -- you can afford to muck up one interview, a luxury not afforded to you by many other universities, where a bad interview can seal your fate. I reckon I'll give it a go and see what happens. :smile:

They wouldn't tell us what the GCSE cutoff is, but I assume you have more than enough to get an interview.

Secondly, you seem a bit confused, in my opinion. What Martin is saying is that he recommends people apply for a Biology degree first, and then do medicine or vetmed as a postgrad if they want to pursue those careers. I personally don't think this is a good idea (so many years at uni!!) but I can see why he says it.
What he isn't saying is to apply for medicine with biology at oxford as a 5th choice. Because invariably it will appear to interviewers that you are seeing Oxford as a 'backup' of sorts. I have spoken to Martin and other tutors personally at open days so I feel pretty certain that they all share a similar consensus on medic applications.

Of course, by all means apply if you wish! No harm done. I would though think about the fact that you will be directly compared to people whose UCAS applications are focused entirely on Biological Sciences.
Original post by Hydeman

The GCSE profiles for other subjects are far below that you see in the medicine stats. Your profile would not be a barrier I assure you.

I honestly do not know how such an application would be received though.

I personally don't think this is a good idea (so many years at uni!!)

Only one more year than doing it as an undergrad.

It is more competitive and finances become quite complicated I think.
They wouldn't tell us what the GCSE cutoff is, but I assume you have more than enough to get an interview.

Well, that's a relief, at least. xD

Secondly, you seem a bit confused, in my opinion. What Martin is saying is that he recommends people apply for a Biology degree first, and then do medicine or vetmed as a postgrad if they want to pursue those careers. I personally don't think this is a good idea (so many years at uni!!) but I can see why he says it.
What he isn't saying is to apply for medicine with biology at oxford as a 5th choice. Because invariably it will appear to interviewers that you are seeing Oxford as a 'backup' of sorts. I have spoken to Martin and other tutors personally at open days so I feel pretty certain that they all share a similar consensus on medic applications.

Yeah, I get that he isn't saying that people should put it as a fifth choice on a medical application but he's clearly telling prospective medics in that video that they ought to do a general degree like biology first instead of diving straight into medicine at 17/18 years of age.

Of course, by all means apply if you wish! No harm done. I would though think about the fact that you will be directly compared to people whose UCAS applications are focused entirely on Biological Sciences.

It's more of an experiment anyway. I'm not going to be devastated or anything if I don't get an offer. It'll be fun to see what happens. :lol:
Original post by nexttime
The GCSE profiles for other subjects are far below that you see in the medicine stats. Your profile would not be a barrier I assure you.

I honestly do not know how such an application would be received though.

Me neither. Hoping to find out though. :smile:

Only one more year than doing it as an undergrad.

It is more competitive and finances become quite complicated I think.

Yep, you're right about that. The thing with graduate entry is that it's the unofficial 'backdoor' into medicine for a lot of people who didn't get the grades for the conventional route.

There also seems to be this burning instinct among a lot of prospective medics not to take a gap year if they don't get any offer/miss their offers and just go to their fifth choice, which is usually Biomedical Sciences or Biochemistry, which ends up forcing them into the graduate entry route as well.

So yeah, it's pretty competitive. The funding is a little more complicated but it's manageable, I think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending