The Student Room Group

Driving Lessons - any recommendations? AA / BSM other like Elephant Driving School?

Hi I am looking to book driving lessons. Any recommendations out there - do I stick with the established players like BSM and the AA or should I be looking at others like Elephant Driving School?

Any one to avoid?
Generally it is better to go with a small/private driving school, instead of corporate ones like BSM. They are better at tailoring the lesson to suit your needs because they're not teaching like 10 students at a time, and they generally care more about your progress.
I've been with a few DEC,BSM,AA,RED and three independent guys and I passed my test first time, 1 minor with my AA instructor. I don't think the company matters, its more about the instructor. I will say though that my red instructor taught me confidence(made me just do it) and my AA instructor was the most patient and if you paid cash it was cheaper £20.

I dropped the independent guys because they would take calls during lessons or make me stop so they could smoke, cancel my lessons or come late for lessons and not make the time up, never experienced that with RED/BSM/AA. Red/BSM were to expensive,DEC instructor english was her second language and she couldn't explain things to me properly.

Saying that I think all companies will try and squeeze more money out of you. Try and go with someone recommended by friends or family and don't buy bulk lessons until you've had 1-2 lessons with the instructor and you know you like them.
Reply 3
Over the years I've had lessons with one independent instructor and also with Red. Ultimately I got fed up with instructors finishing lessons early, or keeping the car stationary during some of the lessons, presumably to save on petrol costs. Although the initial cost of their introductory lesson package seemed cheap, it seemed like they were recouping that by not moving the car during the lesson. After some searching on drivingschoolreviews.uk I found a better alternative at a price and with an instructor who turned out to be the best I've had lessons with.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending