The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Criminology.

Hi there, I have got an unconditional offer for Criminology at Durham. Anybody else?

Anyway, I know its a new course and all and I am going to the St Johns open day on the 19-20th. What is the kind of time plan for this? Do we get a tour of the uni and college and then some sort of Departmental thing as well?

I have the form for the open day but it doesn't really explain a great deal. Cheers! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I think you may find some answers somewhere in this thread.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Durham offers Criminology? ****s sake.
Reply 3
arkbar
Durham offers Criminology? ****s sake.
Oh get off your high horse.
Reply 4
I like my high horse, it has academic integrity.
Reply 5
Whats so un-academic about Criminology? Have you even glanced at the syllabus, or are you just mouthing off because of the name of the course?

Anyway, its not very nice to comment like that considering its a course I worked hard to be able to study, and I am very excited about it.
Reply 6
Why on earth does the degree need to exist? Why isn't just offered as some modules within the sociology program? It's just the university pandering to 'trendy' courses that it can farm undergrads for.
Reply 7
Because its not sociology.
Reply 8
It's a behavioural science with specific emphasis on many sociological aspects. I just don't see why it's deserving of its own degree course.
Reply 9
I think it will bevery heavily based in Sociology and it suggests as much on the Course information page of the website. I am sure it will be OK, but I would be abit cautious about applying for a course that currently doesn't even exist at Durham. I get ribbed for doing Sociology btw, so I doubt Arkbar will be the first one to get uppity about it :biggrin:
Reply 10
Well I dont think I will be necessarily going to Durham anyway now, due to the rudeness of Arkbar putting me off the place.

Thanks.
Reply 11
Ron
Well I dont think I will be necessarily going to Durham anyway now, due to the rudeness of Arkbar putting me off the place.

Thanks.

Thats a good idea. I actually read on the UCAS website that Arkbar's nature is one of the top three things to take into consideration when making a life changing decision. Good for you :wink:
Ron

Thanks.

:rofl:

You are basing your decision on where to spend the next three years of your life on the responces of one person on an internet forum!! That is either unbelievably stupid, or a blatent lie designed to try to make him feel bad. Funny either way.
Reply 13
Ron

Thanks.

lol. Funniest post of the thread. :smile:
Reply 14
Mellie
Thats a good idea. I actually read on the UCAS website that Arkbar's nature is one of the top three things to take into consideration when making a life changing decision. Good for you :wink:

:rofl:
Reply 15
What actually is criminology?!
Reply 16
Its this.

Ergo, its not Sociology.
Reply 17
Ron

Thanks.

how mature
Reply 18
It's true, I am that important guys, feed my ego....

Ron: Nice argument, 'it has a wikipedia page, so it's not sociology!'
Reply 19
Ron
Its this.

Ergo, its not Sociology.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/prospectus/criminology/

The degree is grounded in the discipline of sociology. Essentially, it is the study of crime, deviance, social control and criminal justice from a sociological perspective.

And it's based in the Sociology department.

Ergo, it's not Sociology, but it is really, isn't it :biggrin:

Latest